August 19th, 2010

Palin defends controversial talk show host in Facebook post

Sarah Palin defended Dr. Laura Schlessinger on Thursday.
Sarah Palin defended Dr. Laura Schlessinger on Thursday.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin defended Dr. Laura Schlessinger on Thursday, comparing her own critics to those who have called for the resignation of the embattled radio talk show host in the wake of Schlessinger's repeated use of the N-word during a broadcast.

Palin's defense of Schlessinger, which Palin posted on her Facebook page, is the second time the former Alaska governor has defended the talk show host. Palin came to Schlessinger's defense on Wednesday via Twitter, telling the radio host: "don't retreat...reload!"

Palin expounded on those thoughts in the Facebook post.

"Does anyone seriously believe that Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a racist?" Palin wrote. "Anyone, I mean, who isn't already accusing all conservatives, Republicans, Tea Party Americans, etc., etc., etc. of being racists?"

National furor erupted when Schlessinger used the N-word 11 times in five minutes during an August 10 call with an African-American woman who was seeking advice on how to deal with racist comments from her white husband's friends and relatives. The conversation evolved into a discussion on whether it's appropriate to ever use the word, with Schlessinger arguing it's used on HBO and by black comedians.

Schlessinger apologized the following day, saying, "I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the N-word all the way out – more than one time. And that was wrong. I'll say it again – that was wrong."

On Tuesday, Schlessinger told CNN's Larry King she was ending her show and was "regretful" over the incident. The talk show host also said she feels her freedom of speech rights "have been usurped by angry, hateful groups who don't want to debate – they want to eliminate."

On Thursday, Palin said the host's critics were unfair, and that she sympathizes with Schlessinger.

"I can understand how she could feel 'shackled' by those who would parse a single word out of decades of on-air commentary," Palin wrote. "I understand what she meant when she declared that she was 'taking back my First Amendment rights' by turning to a new venue that will not allow others the ability to silence her by going after her stations, sponsors, and supporters."

Palin added, "That's why I tend to defend people who call it like they see it while others stop at nothing to shut them up. I learned this valuable lesson when the partisan obstructionists in my state tried to shackle, bankrupt, and destroy my family and supporters, and my record, with endless frivolous litigation when I returned from the Vice Presidential campaign trail."

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. chris24

the only reason anyone pays attention to this woman
    is because she is moderately attractive. she has the
    IQ of an ant and the conversational skills of a third grader.

How's that presidential thingy goin'?

YOU BETCHA!!!!!

August 19, 2010 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  2. Vince Mercer

Well, I don't like Sarah Palin, but to be fair, I wouldn't be so quick tto judge whether the lady was a racist if I haven't heard the actual context of how she used the N-word.

August 19, 2010 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  3. Dale

It seems to me that about 20% of Americans are still stuck in 1800's irrational, racist, hateful ways. They are called Republicans and Sara Palin is their leader. They have been frothing at the mouth ever since America elected a black president. The provide venomous words, sound bites and emotion instead of ideas. I don't agree with all the Democrats ideas, but at least they have substance. All the Republicans offer is hate, emotion and fear.

August 19, 2010 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  4. Debby

What does it matter the woman isn't going to be on radio anymore after CNN has plastered this thing for days on their homepage. You have to laugh though the woman Jade or whatever her name is at the moment got her one minute of fame from CNN. Her interview as totally idiotic.

August 19, 2010 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  5. sunsohot

"That's why I tend to defend people who call it like they see it while others stop at nothing to shut them up." Thanks, Sarah, for defending me while I call you an idiot :)

August 19, 2010 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  6. Roscoe

Dr L and Sarah P......it just doesn't get any better than this. Well, maybe it will. The freak show isn't over yet. Two holier than thou, hypocrits who would like to tell everyone else how to live when they can't control their own lives.

August 19, 2010 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  7. lost in Texas FOREVER

I often wonder why Sarah Palin refers to herself as a "momma Grizzly" A real Momma Grizzly confronts her opposition head on to defend her cubs, she doesn't go and hide behind Twitter, Facebook, or FoxNews and say negative things without direct confrontation. And when a REAL Momma Grizzly is confornted she stays and fights, not quits or runs and blames everybody else (in Sarah's case always the "evil left wing media") when critics come her way.

So far I haven't heard ONE word from Palin saying that Dr. Laura use of a racial slur was wrong. All I hear is blaming the media and critics and saying Dr. Laura should "reload". NOBODY is forcing her to step down she is doing it on her own accord. I wonder if Sarah would have been so protective had the good doctor used the word "retard" 11 times instead. Then again she allowed Limbaugh to do it so I guess so.

August 19, 2010 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  8. GI Joe

Somebody please beat the hell out of mcCain for bringing this idiot witch out of the wilderness. She's more destructive than the A-Bomb.

August 19, 2010 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  9. Keep It Real

What's with this lady? Is she really that insensitive to the people who have had their ancestor literally shackled, is she try to stir up controversy over a woman who thinks so little of her or is she just plain stupid? I think the latter.

August 19, 2010 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  10. Bassman

CNN justifies attacking Gov. Palin because her poll numbers are low. The reason her poll numbers are low is because the media lies about her, her family, and her record. CNN puts a Liberal spin on this article, missing Gov. Palin talking about the frivolous ethics complaints that have all been dismissed. CNN also decided not to add Gov. Palin writing about Rahm Emanual's calling Democrats F**king retards. CNN spends the day defending Pres. Obama and the silly poll suggesting he is a Muslim. Did CNN spend the same amount of time debunking the rumor that Trig is not Sarah's child? I would like to see a poll asking if Americans believe that lie. Our media will not take that poll because it would embarrass them.

August 19, 2010 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  11. Marie MD

Oops! Forgot to ask. Does she know what the word parse means?
    Of course, she doesn't write this crap but that's an interesting word that doesn't go with her lack of intelligence and intellect.
    Racist is as racist does. You should know.

August 19, 2010 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  12. Senator

What exactly is she going to reload with? Mor N-word, Language: why dont you just Unload the N-word language when you talk about the President Sarquita! I dont know the lady and doubt that she is a racist, and really dont think that you are. IGNORANT and Culturally uninformed ????? Ype that is the Republicans and their leader Sarquita Palin–Just go ahead and re-N-Wordate your own facebook post

August 19, 2010 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  13. guest123

Why am I still surprised everytime Palin shows another example of how completely out of touch she is with the world?

I guess I just figure that at some point it has got to end – that there just can't be anything more she is clueless about.

August 19, 2010 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  14. Former Republican, now an Independent

This is supposed to be a surprise??? Come on CNN, start covering credible people and quit giving these nut cases the press they don't deserve!!!

August 19, 2010 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  15. The Progressive and Media rape of America ends the first week of November 2010

In Islam it is acceptable to lie as long as it advances Islam. The WH is telling a big fat lie. Mr. Obama is Muslim. And claims that he is Christian because he attended Jeremiah Wright's church for 20 years is laughable. Jeremiah Wright is a Marxist Black Nationalist, not a Christian.

August 19, 2010 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  16. rick

dr. laura is being taken more out of context than the black lady from the department of agriculture. dr. laura didn't "use" the N-word, once or even 11 times, she simply pointed out that blacks use it every single moment of the day. for this "jade" to be on larry's show this evening complaining about dr. laura's racism and the fact here apology wasn't sincere, and that she should be off the air, without any rebuttal at all, makes me sick to my stomach. for what should dr. laura apologize for, the obvious? that's its just fine for black people to use the n-word every waking moment of the day, but not fine for whites to use it? you spent days putting the agriculture lady's speech in progress – let's see if you liberals can spend on single hour putting all this into the actual context in which it was originally intended. great start tonight with "jade" – what a joke.

August 19, 2010 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  17. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

What in the world is this moron talking about?

This one woman wrecking ball is giving our Constitution a bad name.

Pls. just go away you Wasillabilliy!

August 19, 2010 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  18. Listi

There are more important things in life (things like unemployment; people who do not have food to eat; people who cannot get an education; people who cannot read; people who lost thier legs for some reason, people who cannot pay for health care, etc..). People are too sensitive. They must not be. I support Dr. Laura 100%. I believe Dr. Laura must keep her show. She must avoid the sponsors who oppose her. I am sure there are other prospective sponsors who support Dr. Laura. I do not think Dr. Laura is racist. She is a professional. Keep up the good work Dr. Laura. I admire you!!!! It is great that Gov Palin supports her.

August 19, 2010 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  19. Tired of Winky

I refudiate you Sarah, a/k/a the dishonorable ex-half-term Governor Winkypants! Now you and Dr. Nutty go somewhere far away and form one of those cackles you're so fond of.

August 19, 2010 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  20. Robert

What a fool... Exactly what does she consider a white woman using the 'N' word to be???

I mean honestly... reload? How about regurgitate...

August 19, 2010 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  21. once upon a horse

Sarah Palin is just like all these other right wingers that moan that the "evil left wing progressives" want to take away their guns and freedom of speech. If you have ever listened to right wing talk radio if there was ever an ABUSE of freedom of speech it happens right there. No wonder the right doesn't want enforcement of the Fairness Doctrine. Rush Limbaugh himself says something racially intolerant at least once a week on his show alone. And no
    one has yet shut him down.

So now Sister Sarah has to come to the rescue again with her Facebook to defen Dr. Laura's use of a racial slur that even SHE knows was wrong to do. I don't recall hearing a PEEP out Mrs. Palin during the Sharon Sherrod situation when she was wrongly accused of being a racist. I don't think that showed up on her Facebook at all.

Palin is a hypocrite just like the rest of her righties that think they can say whatever they want and the rest of the world should just sit back and accept it.

August 19, 2010 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  22. rickinmo

To answer Palin's question, I don't know if Dr. Laura is a racist but she sure sounds like one. "Don't double N--NAACP me," sounds pretty racist to me in addition to her use of the N word. Why didn't she just say, "Keep your mouth shut and get to the back of the bus"?

The woman called in to get advice on her relationship with her husband. Real psychiatrists and psychologists don't tell patients their concerns and feelings are stupid. Their job is to help people come to grips with with them and to develop strategies to deal with them. People are sensitive about all kinds of things that wouldn't bother me but that is no reason to insult them and blow them off. Dr. Laura was out of line.

August 19, 2010 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  23. key

She is loud ignored incoherent and offensive

August 19, 2010 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  24. Donnatella

I wouldn't say that all conservatives are racist, but I would say that you and Dr. Laura are. Anybody with a working brain listening to that tape can easily come to that conclusion, especially when she said to the girl if you are that sensitive you should not marry outside your race. Now she is going to write a book and go on a totally pathetic tour like Sarah Palin. She probably quit her radio job for a spot on Fox News, she has all the requirements, racist, conservative, hypocrite she will fit right in.

August 19, 2010 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  25. Anonymous

As an African American, I don't believe that Dr. Laura is a racist!!! However, I would question her judgment in using the N word on her show. I have to give credit that she stepped and apologized for her usage of this vile term, however, I was not a big fan to begin with and I probably won't be listening to her show in the future. Sarah Palin is playing to the minority of the Tea Party movement which has exhibited some very racist behavior!!! Not a big fan of Ms. Palin and I believe the country will be better served when her 15 minutes of fame are up and she can go back to Alaska and shoot animals from a helicopter!!!!

August 19, 2010 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |