August 19th, 2010

Palin defends controversial talk show host in Facebook post

Sarah Palin defended Dr. Laura Schlessinger on Thursday.
Sarah Palin defended Dr. Laura Schlessinger on Thursday.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin defended Dr. Laura Schlessinger on Thursday, comparing her own critics to those who have called for the resignation of the embattled radio talk show host in the wake of Schlessinger's repeated use of the N-word during a broadcast.

Palin's defense of Schlessinger, which Palin posted on her Facebook page, is the second time the former Alaska governor has defended the talk show host. Palin came to Schlessinger's defense on Wednesday via Twitter, telling the radio host: "don't retreat...reload!"

Palin expounded on those thoughts in the Facebook post.

"Does anyone seriously believe that Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a racist?" Palin wrote. "Anyone, I mean, who isn't already accusing all conservatives, Republicans, Tea Party Americans, etc., etc., etc. of being racists?"

National furor erupted when Schlessinger used the N-word 11 times in five minutes during an August 10 call with an African-American woman who was seeking advice on how to deal with racist comments from her white husband's friends and relatives. The conversation evolved into a discussion on whether it's appropriate to ever use the word, with Schlessinger arguing it's used on HBO and by black comedians.

Schlessinger apologized the following day, saying, "I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the N-word all the way out – more than one time. And that was wrong. I'll say it again – that was wrong."

On Tuesday, Schlessinger told CNN's Larry King she was ending her show and was "regretful" over the incident. The talk show host also said she feels her freedom of speech rights "have been usurped by angry, hateful groups who don't want to debate – they want to eliminate."

On Thursday, Palin said the host's critics were unfair, and that she sympathizes with Schlessinger.

"I can understand how she could feel 'shackled' by those who would parse a single word out of decades of on-air commentary," Palin wrote. "I understand what she meant when she declared that she was 'taking back my First Amendment rights' by turning to a new venue that will not allow others the ability to silence her by going after her stations, sponsors, and supporters."

Palin added, "That's why I tend to defend people who call it like they see it while others stop at nothing to shut them up. I learned this valuable lesson when the partisan obstructionists in my state tried to shackle, bankrupt, and destroy my family and supporters, and my record, with endless frivolous litigation when I returned from the Vice Presidential campaign trail."

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Karen

Is she stupid or just insensitive? Maybe both? Shackled? Really.....And wait? Don't QUIT? Isn't this the same woman who talked about salmon swimmin' upstream backwards and had to quit otherwise she would be a quitter? lol........

August 19, 2010 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  2. Dal From California

Reload with what?

August 19, 2010 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  3. SarahTonin

My God, the woman opens her mouth and proves how ignorant she is everytime! Remarkable.

August 19, 2010 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  4. happenings

Ms. Former Governor,
    I was raised that the "n" word is never acceptable to say. Never. Especially if you have a national radio talk show and are there under the guise of giving people advice on how to conduct their lives. Why do you always defend people who say things that are so objectionable? Family values indeed.

August 19, 2010 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  5. sadlyperturbed

What poor Sarah does not understand is that the problem with Dr. Laura is not that she is a racist, it is that she is an insensitive human being who thinks everyone should be as insensitive as she is. I have never understood why people want to listen to her in the first place. Anyone who makes their living belittling others does not deserve my time or attention and Dr. Laura fits in that category.

August 19, 2010 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  6. Sweet Pea3

Yeah, umm.......she's an idiot. That's the long and the short of it. What more is there to say. That woman is truly an idiot, if there ever was one.

August 19, 2010 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  7. No Tea Party

NO comment, it is a waste of my time.

August 19, 2010 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  8. Dick

If brains were dynamite these two mental midgets wouldn't have enough powder to blow a ants nose.

August 19, 2010 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  9. Krista

Yes Sarah, we know those horrible Democrats tried to ruin you and none of it was of your own doing. Get over it lady.

August 19, 2010 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  10. WeDoRemember

"And that's why I QUIT TOO!" Palin finished.

August 19, 2010 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  11. JulieD.

I guess Palin doesn't know Dr. Laura's opinion of the moose queen?

August 19, 2010 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  12. Mark G

When are you, CNN going to stop putting Palin on a pedestal? Enough of hearing about an opinion from an idiot who is unable to string 2 coherent sentences together. And for all you Palin fans, how do you know that she is even writing the things that she says in Facebook or Tweeting? I don't think she is capable. And for the rest of you who admire her, you are as stupid as her,

August 19, 2010 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  13. Jason

HYPOCRISY
    - a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

Sarah Palin tweeted that it's okay for Dr. Laura to have said the "N-word" 11 times on national radio, citing it as a matter of free speech...yet, when Rahm Emanuel used the "R-word", she called for... his resignation.

HYPOCRISY

August 19, 2010 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  14. James, AL

Palin's statement shows her lack of awareness of the African American plight. The use of the N word has NOTHING to do with ones rights, but EVERYTHING to do with understanding and respecting others. Dr. Laura failed at her attempt to downplay the word that is so closely related to 'Jim Crow', slavery, and everything else that was and is vile and hateful towards blacks. For a white person to hear a black person use the N word, it is probably bewildering to you (it is to me as well), but for blacks who use it in relating to each other is acceptable because both of them are black. I am African American and am TOTALLY offended by anyone using the N word. For other African Americans who use it, I consider them ignorant, and for caucasions who use it, I believe them to be racist. There is nothing beautiful, uplifting, or intellectual about the N word, therefore for ANYONE to use it, it would have to be out of ignorance or hate; this includes Dr. Laura and Sarah Palin.

August 19, 2010 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  15. bobby

Seriously Americans..the media has built Ms Palin into such an icon for the extreme right and the very fact that she may feel empowered to run for the leadership of the free world scares the hell out of me..what does this say about American leadership i that they can consider supporting such a lame brain. My God what have we come to that we give such a person so much media coverage. She is obviously eating it up and running all the way to the bank..It is scandolous that we as a society put so much coverage on such little matters. I have no idea what it says tabout the GOP when Ms Palin is running second I believe in the current polls when asked who would you like to be the GOP nominee in 2012..It is quite amazing.,. very sad and also potentially very dangerous should she get elected.

August 19, 2010 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  16. indyreader

Opening your yap, saying something apocalyptically crass, and then being criticized for it does NOT mean your First Amendment rights have been trampled on. Buckling to the criticism and kwitting your job – although something Palin doubtless knows a lot about – also does not constitute having one's First Amendment rights denied.

Could this whistle-headed kwitter be any stupider? Right now, I don't think so, but I've been wrong about that question before.

August 19, 2010 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  17. SARA-FOR-PRESIDENT

Keep it coming Sarah....You are the Brightest Light from The Gop dungeon. I hope you become the president so the world may truly know who y'all really are. A piece of trashy airheads full of hatred and stupidity.
    PS: I bet a few yrs from now you'll really regret the stuff you twitt.

August 19, 2010 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  18. frogwalloper

How can she possibly defend herself? Considering the context of the conversation, I think sacking her's a bit harsh, but still, it was a costly mistake.

August 19, 2010 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  19. latelyll

I wonder does this morbid, single cell moron actually taks herself seriously?
    Why is there such a thirst for some whites to want to use the "N" word? I do not hear any blacks going around wanting to or using the slurs that higher income whites use against lower income whites.....Grow up and get a life..........

August 19, 2010 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  20. IF

Two of a kind... Probably won't help any of them, won't hinder, either. But I wish both would depart on a trip to Saturn (might be far enough to ensure it'd be a one-way ticket).

August 19, 2010 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  21. Yanor

Those of us with a brain should continue to PRAY!!!! This too shell end!!! It's ending!!!!!!

August 19, 2010 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  22. call it a day

Dear CNN, ur obsession is showing hahaha, why dont u guys just call it the Grizzly political ticker? either way, thnx

August 19, 2010 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  23. John J, IN

Good old Sarah Palin – she'll say anything to stay in the spotlight. She is like a desperate toddler whining for attention.

August 19, 2010 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  24. George of the jungle

she only responds on face book because she will not face any real media. She can't answer any real questions and try's to avoid reporters that might make her look stupid which she is .

August 19, 2010 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  25. Debbie from Arizona

Oh please, Sarah, give us a break already.

August 19, 2010 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |