August 19th, 2010

Palin defends controversial talk show host in Facebook post

Sarah Palin defended Dr. Laura Schlessinger on Thursday.
Sarah Palin defended Dr. Laura Schlessinger on Thursday.

(CNN) - Sarah Palin defended Dr. Laura Schlessinger on Thursday, comparing her own critics to those who have called for the resignation of the embattled radio talk show host in the wake of Schlessinger's repeated use of the N-word during a broadcast.

Palin's defense of Schlessinger, which Palin posted on her Facebook page, is the second time the former Alaska governor has defended the talk show host. Palin came to Schlessinger's defense on Wednesday via Twitter, telling the radio host: "don't retreat...reload!"

Palin expounded on those thoughts in the Facebook post.

National furor erupted when Schlessinger used the N-word 11 times in five minutes during an August 10 call with an African-American woman who was seeking advice on how to deal with racist comments from her white husband's friends and relatives. The conversation evolved into a discussion on whether it's appropriate to ever use the word, with Schlessinger arguing it's used on HBO and by black comedians.

Schlessinger apologized the following day, saying, "I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the N-word all the way out – more than one time. And that was wrong. I'll say it again – that was wrong."

On Tuesday, Schlessinger told CNN's Larry King she was ending her show and was "regretful" over the incident. The talk show host also said she feels her freedom of speech rights "have been usurped by angry, hateful groups who don't want to debate – they want to eliminate."

On Thursday, Palin said the host's critics were unfair, and that she sympathizes with Schlessinger.

"I can understand how she could feel 'shackled' by those who would parse a single word out of decades of on-air commentary," Palin wrote. "I understand what she meant when she declared that she was 'taking back my First Amendment rights' by turning to a new venue that will not allow others the ability to silence her by going after her stations, sponsors, and supporters."

Palin added, "That's why I tend to defend people who call it like they see it while others stop at nothing to shut them up. I learned this valuable lesson when the partisan obstructionists in my state tried to shackle, bankrupt, and destroy my family and supporters, and my record, with endless frivolous litigation when I returned from the Vice Presidential campaign trail."

Filed under: Popular Posts • Sarah Palin
  1. Joe

Sarah Palin needs to stay out of other folks' business and mind her own. If she's telling Dr. Laura "don't retreat ... reload", why didn't she follow her own advice and remain Governor of Alaska?

It had been a few days since Palin was in the news so I guess she had to "claim a cause" to make some headlines.

August 19, 2010 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  2. Mark

I say Dr. Laura is a racist.... how much evidence do you need? I guess slapping Sarah Palin in the face with racism isn't enough to convince her... that's just being ignorant, ego maniacal, and just plain stupid...

August 19, 2010 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  3. qqqqqjim@aol.com

She would do that wouldn't she?

August 19, 2010 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  4. Wake up

She (Palin) is an idiot at best, and why anyone gives her any creditability or attention is beyond any human reasoning. Move on!

August 19, 2010 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  5. NC Ex-Pub

I pray every day for the Paliban to stop reloading her damnable mouth!

August 19, 2010 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  6. whitey

It's never OK to a racist slur no matter what context. Isn't it bad enough the white folks had them as slaves and then as 2nd class citizens and then put them in ghettos and then have a white woman use the derogatory word 11 times!!!!!!! She should be fired ASAP and have to donate a years salary to a black community organization.

August 19, 2010 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  7. dave_in_altmar

Well, yes. Yes, I do.

Oh. Never mind...

August 19, 2010 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  8. Brian

Every time Sarah Palin is mentioned in the press an angel loses its wings.

August 19, 2010 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  9. David G

Dr Laura admits she was wrong and made a mistake. Then Sara Idiot Palin defends her for what she did, not 1 time, but twice. Amazing, but not un-expected from a sub-intelligent like Sarah Palin. Yes, Sarah Palin is a Republican, Tea Party Racist. No doubt about it.

August 19, 2010 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  10. S. Garcia

Schlessinger is a dumb blond Bimbo!
    Palin is a Retard!
    I have just exercised my Constitutional right to Freedom of Speech, let's see how many Right-Wing Nazis celebrate and defend what I can say about their Heros!

August 19, 2010 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  11. Dan

So, its ok for Sarah's friend to have freedom of speech and say a racial slur on national radio talk show, but its not ok for Muslims to celebrate freedom of religion and assembly and have a mosque on property that they own. I doth think that Sarah is very two-faced and wants an America that is only in her image, and anything that is different than how she wants it is wrong. Time to say goodbye Sarah, we will welcome you leaving the public scene since you did leave the public sector by QUITTING your job as Governor of Alaska – last thing I would ever want as a President or Vice President is a public servant who QUITS.

August 19, 2010 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  12. Joseph Agunbiade

But you did resign?Are you regretting your own decision?Those who live in the glass house should remember not to throw stones.

August 19, 2010 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  13. Hassan

Palin said, muslims have right to build mosque near ground zero, but should they? People have right of free speech and open their mouth, but should they?

August 19, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  14. Gentle Critic

Pathetic Palin asks: "Does anyone seriously believe that Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a racist?" Palin wrote. "Anyone, I mean, who isn't already accusing all conservatives, Republicans, Tea Party Americans, etc., etc., etc. of being racists?"

Well, considering Silly Sarah has eliminated 80% of the population with that statement, it's probable that at least half of the remaining 20% have been castigated by the great Dr Laura in her on-air commentary quest to cleanse the world just like Hiter.

August 19, 2010 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  15. Joe

Of course Palin would defend Dr. Laura. They are both cut from the same cloth. They are both divisive witches (and I probably should have spelled that with a B). They both practice the politics of division. Get people angry and mobilized because somebody different from them may be getting ahead. Sadly, with this economy the way it is, it works. People are scared. I see so many working class people falling for these snake oil sales pitches when the people behind these pitches (the GOP) want to keep tax breaks for the rich (not the working class), healthcare for the rich (not the working class), and on-and-on. It is truly sad when you see people falling for something that is not in the own economic self-interest.

August 19, 2010 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  16. CathyinAZ

Please explain to me how you can defend ANYONE who uses the N-word 11 times in 5 minutes? I do not care what the circumstances were – there are two words in the English language that should never be used UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES – The C word and the N word – end of story. But then again consider the source – Dr Laura and her defender, Sarah Palin – ENOUGH SAID! As far as I am concerned both of them can crawl back under the rock from which they came.

August 19, 2010 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  17. Dr. David

Sorry Sarah, don't care how you try to paint it!! - A racist is a racist, is a racist, and it doesn't smell like a rose!

August 19, 2010 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  18. Joe

Oh, and BTW the way Sarah ... to answer your question, yes I believe Dr. Laura is a racist and I believe at least 75% of your tea party followers are racists. When I see Dan Quayle's idiot son say that President Obama has divided this country on racists lines ... I think that is racist (is he saying that a black person should have known better than to run for President). It is sad. America is losing the war of the future because too many of our citizens are still fighting the wars of the past. Other countries are using diversity and multi-culturiism to proper in the 21st century ... and America (a country founded and made great because it was a melting pot) is hiding it head in the sand.

August 19, 2010 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  19. Andrew Morris

This has nothing to do with her First Amendment rights. She can say what she wants. Doesn't mean there aren't consequences, though. Funny how Palin is all for Dr. L's rights, but tries to deny them to others. There is no doubt that Dr. L. said something racist.

August 19, 2010 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  20. Rob, The Independant

Sarah is making a bad decision in Defending Dr. Laura. I think Sarah should be careful how she weighs in on very sensitive matters like race. This could easily bite her in the rear. I guess Obama's Mosque comments were not very smart either.

August 19, 2010 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  21. not rich

This should should come as a surprise to anybody, of course Sarah defends Laura as they are both racists. This is just another example of how tone deaf Sarah is to her perceived bigotry. When Sarah suggests that rather Laura quit she should "reload" just what does she mean, use the "N" word more often? Dr Laura is the new Rev Wright, spewing hate talk and purely racist comments and then somehow musters the gall to appear indignant. Farcical.

August 19, 2010 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  22. 21k

shouldn't this story be in the "entertainment" section?

August 19, 2010 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  23. JoeMama

The nitwit is defending another nitwit. Wow between the 2 they may come up with another 100 excuses for the "doctor" of non-psychology major person who deserves to be kicked off the air. And as far as her 1st amendment rights, if that is the case, I have lots of land to sell you in Alaska that you can also see Russia along with idiot Palin.
    Have a good life.

August 19, 2010 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  24. ronin48

Schelssinger wasn't "arguing" that the N-word is used on HBO and by black comedians; she was "observing" or "pointing out" that it's used on HBO and by black comedians. Whatever conclusion one wishes to draw from that fact is one thing, but whether the N-word is used on HBO and by black comedians is not something one can "argue" about - it's a fact.

August 19, 2010 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  25. Clwyd

Just a worthless piece of trash. A mindless wonder!

August 19, 2010 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |