August 23rd, 2010

McCollum not sure he'd back Scott as GOP nominee

Orlando, Florida (CNN) - Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum made abundantly clear Monday evening that he's got some hard feelings toward Rick Scott, his free-spending opponent in Florida's Republican gubernatorial primary.

After a divisive and rancorous intra-party battle that played out largely on the state's expensive television airwaves, McCollum said he would have serious reservations about supporting Scott as the GOP nominee if he wins on Tuesday.

"I don't know Rick Scott well," McCollum told reporters at an Orlando campaign stop. "I met him for the first time at the Univision debate. I've never eyed him across the table except at the debate. He ducked a big statewide debate."

"So when the election is over with, I expect to win," he said. "The question should be asked of him: Will he endorse me? Of course, if it were to come out the other way for some reason I would have to sit down with him and be persuaded. I see lots of problems with him, personally, right now. It would be very difficult for me."

McCollum leads Scott by a slight four-point margin heading into the primary, according to a Quinnipiac poll released Monday.

Filed under: 2010 • Bill McCollum • Florida • Rick Scott
  1. La Piovra

Well, it wouldn't be seemly for an Attorney General to endorse a crook, would it?

August 23, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  2. K Clifton

If McCollum REALLY thought Scott was a criminal (albeit one he never charged as AG), why would he sit down with him and be willing to support him as the GOP candidate? It shows that either he is willing to work with criminals, or he doesn't really believe his own fraud charges.

August 23, 2010 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  3. Rob NY

Republicans are funny.

August 23, 2010 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  4. Uncle Snerdly

Do they ever run out of bobbleheads named Mc something?They all seem to be pod people from Mars

August 24, 2010 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  5. Orlando Patriot

That's interesting – I am not sure if I would back Bill McCollum if HE becomes the GOP nominee. Let me see: if McCollum is the nominee then I have a choice between a career politician in McCollum or a Democrat. I have NEVER voted for a Democrat in the 31 years I have been voting but if Rick Scott does not get the nomination then I will probably vote for Alex Sink. Gosh that is a nausiating comment!! However, I am sick and tired of career politicians like Bill McCollum being in power for over 30 years and I cannot think of ONE thing he has done?!?! I hope Rick Scott get's the nomination because the thought of voting for a Democrat is making me sick.............

August 24, 2010 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  6. badger47

And the GOP infighting continues!

August 24, 2010 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  7. ehwilson429

does that make McCollum the "NEW" Charlie Crist?

August 24, 2010 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  8. Henry from Jax, FL

If McCullom has any ounce of common sense he would not endorse Scott. I honestly can't see anyone with a functioning brain who would vote for him. He was at the helm of the biggest Medicare fraud in our country's history, and now he wants to be at the helm of the governor's mansion? I don't think so.

August 24, 2010 01:37 am at 1:37 am |