August 24th, 2010

Sherrod declines USDA job offer

Shirley Sherrod has declined a job offer from Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.

(CNN) - Shirley Sherrod said Tuesday that she has enjoyed her work at the U.S. Department of Agriculture and "would want to see that work continue."

But she add, "I just don't think at this point with all that has happened" that it is possible to continue working at the department. "It doesn't mean I'm not interested in that work, because I am," she said.

She said she needs to "take a break" from the events of the past few weeks, but looks forward to "some type of relationship with the department in the future."

"We need to work on issues (of) discrimination and racism in this country, and I'd certainly like to play my role," Sherrod added.

Filed under: Shirley Sherrod • USDA
  1. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I have mixed feelings. It would be nice to have her (and millions of other Americans) working. The question appears that if she takes the job, it could be seen as a job she got because of this fiasco.

August 24, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  2. Whatever

Good for her!!!! Such a bogus move!!!!! Just write the check and she will go on to make LOTS of money by writing a book which will be made into either a made for TV or big screen movie!

August 24, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  3. Rick McDaniel

There are still questions, about Sherrod, which have not been answered. That is just as well.

August 24, 2010 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  4. M-AZ

Best wishes, Madame.

August 24, 2010 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  5. Christie rocks

I was surprised by the White House's role in the Sherrod firing. Also, the NAACP jumped on board pretty quickly–and they had the actual tapes.

Glenn Beck was on Sherrod's side when he reported on the firing (48 hours later). But that didn't stop Sherrod from spewing he racism claims and playing the victim on an uber liberal radio program later that day.

Just shows that many people have an agenda and act in accordance with that agenda–despite the facts. (example: Obama passing Obamacare despite the fact that the $$$ isn't there and neither was the support of the vast majority).

August 24, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  6. timmi

yeah write the book & get a reality show first!

August 24, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  7. doug

If she were a good person she would have thanked Glen Beck for standing up for her and demanding that the White House apologize to her and give her her job back.

Without Beck calling Obama out over this, he probably would have never apologized. Thank god for true, honest, tolerant, fair patriots like Glen Beck, it is such a shame that not a single Democrat with these values exists in all of America.

August 24, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  8. Steve in CT

She's probably planning to corner them into taking her on as a private consultant where she can pull down several times what her salary would be. This sounds like extortion to me. She was unfairly treated but it was quickly addressed and since she's been offered better positions within the department where her seniority gives her big benefits. If I'm right I hope she ends up with nothing. If I'm wrong about the potential of greed I wish her well.

August 24, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  9. Pete

Well Ms. Sherrod you certainly have played your role on the issues have you not.

August 24, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  10. Angus McDugan

Stretching out that 15 minutes as far as she can.

August 24, 2010 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  11. jim

This lady has her own political agenda and while she has the media's attention she's going to take it as far as she can.

August 24, 2010 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  12. urbantexan

unfortunately... I would have to agree with Mrs. Sherrod on this one take ..that job and shove it up your glutux-maximus!!

August 24, 2010 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  13. Rush Goebbels

I cant blame her,she would have to take payoffs from alot of scumbag companies that want to sell us poisoned products.

August 24, 2010 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  14. Tina

I overheard an employee in our HR department tell a 35 year old well qualified accounting applicant that they were too old for the position. As a principal in this firm I sniffed around this hiring dynamic a bit at other colleague firms and looks to me this is the new normal. Businesses are looking for recent graduates, and there are plenty, to mold without family or the responsibilities thereof i.e. child is sick, parent/teacher conferences, health insurance, etc. I'm 42 and feel like I just started my career after college but then again I’m a charter member of the business. So Ms. Sherrod, coming from a non partisan position, I'd say most folks your age without a healthy portfolio would take the job, focus on that job regardless of the peripheral pot banging were beginning to see today. Just a thought…..

Peace......Tina

August 24, 2010 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  15. marvin

With 10% unemployment, she turns down a job that they made up for her paying more money than she's ever made all because she thinks her lawsuit will pay more. One word "STUPID".

August 24, 2010 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  16. JM

I hope she wins her lawsuit against Breitbart.

August 24, 2010 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  17. Tom

Good for you, Shirley.

August 24, 2010 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  18. jules sand-perkins

Ms. Sherrod is 100% correct that all Americans need to work of issues of racism, and that means any racist prejudice regardless of its origin.
    To my amazement, I have seen racism become more rather than less intense since the election of our first African-American president, an event that I had wanted and expected to see since the late 1950s.
    ANY racism remaining in America today is a shameful mark of ignorance.

August 24, 2010 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  19. bernice

Good for you..anyway by the time you're finished with the conservative clown that started all this ..my dear you won't need to work...SCORCH HIM GOOD

August 24, 2010 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  20. Fair is Fair

"Sherrod declines USDA job offer"

Translation: "If I take the job, I'm going to have a harder time proving damages in my forthcoming lawsuit".

August 24, 2010 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  21. flushthedonkeys

Deserting a rapidly sinking ship. Those that stay sucking up the outrageous pay and benefits, should not be there in the first place and anybody with anything on the ball is getting out before the indictments start coming. Welcome to Obamanation.

August 24, 2010 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  22. C Spurgeon

She is going to be too busy suing whoever she can to get money, money, money. Thats what this couintry is all about now.

August 24, 2010 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  23. al in memphis

Good for her. Most good decision are well thought out and take into consideration what you are willing to devote your energy towards. Each of us to use a little more of that. Especially, those quarterly profits corporate types.
    Spotlight on discrimination– for some reason we think as American we are above discrimination, but reality is we are full of it from both race and socieconomic standpoints. It won't get fixed by itself.

August 24, 2010 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  24. once upon a horse

I hope while she's off with free time she's working with a good legal team for her upcoming lawsuit. Just too bad so far she has not included FoxNews in it.

August 24, 2010 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  25. Bob of Lompoc

This woman loved her job. Farmers testified on TV she did it well, had been a great asset and helped them. The cowardly Department of Agriculture people, not knowing how to research Google and get to the truth (are Dept. of Ag employees IT challenged?), in panic over the Republican phony video, marched her up to the gallows and effed her. Any psychologist will explain it to you. Her superiors broke the chain of duty to job. She will NEVER go back. Good for her. Now, Ms. Sherrod, sue those Republicans out of existence. BTW, take a smaller piece off the Dems. They deserve it. Maybe next time they'll get a little spine and stand up for their good employees.

August 24, 2010 11:49 am at 11:49 am |