(CNN) – The Senate Republican primary race in Alaska still isn't over, but Democrats are moving fast to define Joe Miller - the previously unknown attorney who is on the verge of upsetting incumbent Sen. Lisa Murkowski.
In a statement Wednesday, DSCC Communications Director Eric Schultz described Miller as "an extremist who intends to transition-out Social Security, phase-out Medicare, and end unemployment benefits for all Alaskan families."
"Joe Miller seems more intent on imposing a strict social doctrine to please his out-of-state tea party backers but would leave the people of his state high and dry. Alaskans deserve a Senator who will stick up for them in the United States Senate," Schultz added.
The Anchorage Daily News reported last month that Miller has called for phasing out government Medicare and Social Security, as well as nixing the federal Department of Education.
"The only answer [to cut spending] is to return our federal government to the limits prescribed by our Constitution," Miller says on his Web site. "Federal powers not specified in the Constitution are reserved to the States by the 10th Amendment."
Miller, a graduate of West Point and Yale Law School, holds a slim lead over Murkowski with about 15,000 absentee ballots yet to be counted. Miller benefitted highly from the support of the Tea Party Express and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.
To me it isn’t just about Republican v Democrat, or the differences in their philosophies or capabilities. Up until Bush-Cheney I was a registered Republican and I believe that ‘the least amount of government is the best government’ and that ‘government should only do for the people that which they can’t do for themselves’ but … that really dictates government has to do what the people can’t and government has to be at least what is needed. There is where Bush-Cheney became totally irresponsible and the Republican Party has really gotten completely off course. I’m still not all that excited about the Democrats; at times they just don’t seem all that bright (mainly when it comes to political savvy). What it is about for me is seeing reality and to objectively reject the obvious expansive efforts to deceive and control public opinion. There are significant overt and covert efforts constantly going on to sway and manipulate people’s thinking but as I see it, with the subterfuge put aside, the average American can’t expect any favorable results when the total concentration is on benefit only for Special Interests and the influential, powerful and extremely wealthy few while they rationalize giving everyone else just apathy, the costs and an abundance of deceptive rhetoric, including their excited appeals to biases, prejudices and emotional attachments. Actually I become insulted and offended when they take people for granted and assume they can just easily deceive and manipulate to gain support for their irresponsible and self-indulgent actions. Their arrogance, dishonesty and selfishness are just too much.
The following list highlights just some of the occurrences that make up the whole of what I just can’t accept. All of this may not convince anyone else of anything but yet maybe some will think about it and some might then be able to be objective and just see why I can’t currently vote Republican. The Democrats aren’t perfect by any measurement but at present they offer the majority more and are just more responsible to the average American. It would be nice to have both parties working for the people but the only way that will ever happen is after the Republican Party is firmly rejected for what they have become.
• Bush-Cheney used their offices and America’s resources for a private agenda to benefit only the few (any list would be longer than this page).
• Bush-Cheney boldly and arrogantly lied about most everything with an in-your-face arrogance as they used their power to do whatever they wanted.
• Bush-Cheney gave the majority only apathy, the costs and a whole lot of deceptive rhetoric to rationalize and justify.
• The Republican Party totally and strongly supported everything Bush-Cheney did.
• The problems and costs incurred, while placating and patronizing the few, encouraging run-away greed, dishonesty and self-indulgence by the few and being rationalized as ‘open markets’, ‘deregulation’ and ‘small’ government, allowing non-existent control, no over sight and lax regulation, literally brought America financially to its knees.
• The Republican Party irresponsibly refuses to offer bipartisan cooperation to resolve problems and fine tune resolutions and instead chooses to try to block and criticize all efforts while using subterfuge to manipulate public opinion.
• The Republican Party puts their political ambitions above all else and at all cost.
• The Republican Party offers nothing positive, only criticism, and presents an offensive arrogance as they seek to manipulate a return to ‘more of the same’ that got us all of the problems.
• The Republican Party with the strong and substantial backing of their powerful supporters, those who stand to greatly gain, use subterfuge and emotional appeals to manipulate and control public opinion, without concern for other than their interests.
• The Republican Party coerces and intimidates its own representatives to maintain unity and thereby squelch individual consciences.
• Part of their effort is the fully supported and financially sponsored Tea Party Movement which, like the Swiftboat effort, is mainly a con and designed to have the people support electing new representatives with the same loyalty and thus a deceptive return to ‘more of the same’.
• The faults the Republicans attribute to the Democrats are mostly ‘tongue in cheek’ criticism as to do nothing or to return to ‘more of the same’ would be totally illogical and even catastrophic.
• The concerns stressed by the Republicans, i.e. Socialism, Big Government, inflationary spending, are scare tactics that neglect to recognize that without government intervention and with negligible spending this country will just continue towards deflation and depression (again hurting the majority more than the few).
• Bush-Cheney, with the Republican Party’s full support, encouraged and excused the extensive deportation of American jobs (putting people on welfare) and the taxes that went with them (decreasing government revenue).
• The Republican Party has no real answers and as John Dean a self-proclaimed Goldwater conservative states in his book “Broken Government”, with their current arrogant and irresponsible self-focused mentality and complete loyalty to the few, “they are incapable of responsibly governing”. They literally have become no more than ‘puppets’ for Special Interests and the select few.
Some may find fault with individual items in this list but I believe all are really accurate and that an openly objective and rational viewing will substantiate the overall trend and conclusion as also being accurate. What really bothers me is just that this country can’t possibly withstand any ‘more of the same’ that they are trying to con people into accepting.
I like how liberals call Tea Party candidates " extremists ", as if Obama, Pelosi and Reid aren’t left wing extremists?
God liberals are such idiots... GOP is going to destroy them in November and in 2012.
Wow, if that's extreme, count me in. Phasing out these entitlements is exactly what needs to be done. And phasing out is just that gradual transition. And eliminating entire static government departments of dubious cost to benefit rations – bring it on!
This guy went to West Point and Yale. How can he be this stupid? Political ambition seems to turn a lot of people into blithering idiots.
Someone you need to be afraid of he will hold everyone of you accountable.
We need more people like this along with term limits and no pay rasies unless we vote on it.
Bye Bye special pretty money that your state used to get and will suddenly realize you need. Alaska has their hand out to the feds more than any state in the union and they are just to hypocritical to realize it. At least Stevens got things done for you. And what did Palin do for you? Oh right, she quit. Way to follow her leadership and advice, pick the candidate she endorses!
One more off the wall, the world is 6,000 years old right-winger who would leave it up to salmanella-tainted egg producers to decide if they wanted to disclose their products could kill you, as well as whether they wanted to do anything about it, all in the name of "freedom".
Extremist – anyone winning an election against a liberal
what a psycho! congrats tea partiers, Joe Miller is a muslim & has a forked tongue! ha ha. no doubt the tea partiers are celebrating by firing off some AK-47 rounds, scary insane people!
alaska oh alaska.we all should be soooo proud.just look what they have produced.the witch from wacila.wont talk about dead but you know who i mean.senator from there.
Like Sharron Angle and Rand Paul, this guy wants to abolish the Department of Education. I call that extreme.
Two extremes (Miller-PA'IN) don't make a RIGHT!!
All the RepubliCAN'Ts are doing is going from one extreme to the other. Even though the far-right EXTREMIST are winning now – it does not mean they will win in November!!
you voters in Alaska sure know how to pick em!!
And people wonder why Levi Johnson is starting a reality show and running for Mayor?? Simple reason.....the kid knows you will vote for him because apparently you will vote for just about anyone.
The Dems don't have to call him an extremist. He IS an extremist. Along with Angle and Rand, Death Panel Sarah and her merry Tea Party Express buddies may well cause the death of this great nation once and for all.
Democrats are moving fast to define Joe Miller – the previously unknown attorney who is on the verge of upsetting incumbent Sen. Lisa Murkowski.
Thats because the dems wont have their two faced little twit to count on anymore. Cry me a river kool aid sippers, your time is almost over.
When you define 'extremist' and 'idiot' as anyone who disagrees with a liberal point of view, your going to hear about and see a extreme idiots everywhere.
Miller obviously understands absolutely nothing of constitutional law. How unfortunately ignorant of him, and how plainly unfortunate for the state of Alaska. I hope the citizens of that great state have the sense to vote more intelligently.
Alaska gave us Sarah Palin. My sympathy for them is zero. Let them elect some puppet and watch him dance around.
Are the Republicans in Alaska ALL looney-toons; or does it just seem that way. If Americans don`t realize by now that the G.O.P. are being hijacked by the fanatical right-wing extremist fringes of that party; than I dispair of the U.S.A. ever being a super power ever again. Leaders such as Ike,Teddy, and Abraham would shudder to see the Party they led in such a sad pathetic state of affairs.
Ric, If Obama, Reid and Pelosi were left wing extremists we would have single payer health care.
TO everyone bashing liberals: What exactly is so damned great about conservatism? If the country had no liberals then you women would not be able to vote or work, African Americans would still be slaves, and gays would be stoned to death. Instead of simply crying "socialist" at everything we do why don't you get off your damn high horses and actually try to compromise with us?
Its really a hoot to see all the demos dumping in their shorts. These silly folks are not going to have a very good November or any other month after that. You wanted chage and you got it, change that is flushing our country down the toilet.
Another tea bagger extremist with no constructive ideas, just ideology. I hope Murkowski pulls this out.
all the democrats will say they are to extreme or they unamerican or the wind is blowing the wrong way...so america needs to just follow obama like a bunch off lemings... ugh.. stupid statement Ed...
The GOP Tea Party is off the deep end of polictics. You can thank Sen. John McCain for giving life to $arah Palin that started all this crap!