August 25th, 2010

Obama to deliver Iraq address next Tuesday night

President Obama will deliver an Oval Office address Tuesday night.
President Obama will deliver an Oval Office address Tuesday night.

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama will deliver a major address on Iraq from the Oval Office next Tuesday night, according to the White House.

The speech, to be delivered at 8 p.m. ET, will last approximately 15 minutes. Obama's remarks will also touch on Afghanistan and the broader war against terrorism, the White House said.

Obama will likely visit a military base on Tuesday prior to delivering the address.

The August 31 speech is timed to coincide with the official end of the U.S. military's combat mission in Iraq. The total number of U.S. troops in Iraq has now fallen below 50,000 - the lowest level since the U.S-led invasion in 2003. The remaining American troops will train, assist and advise the Iraqis.

All American troops are scheduled to pull out at the end of 2011, though the Iraqi government could request that some of them remain.

Obama has delivered one previous Oval Office address, to signify the gravity of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill in early June.

Filed under: Afghanistan • Iraq • issues • President Obama
  1. Hangar 13

It will be interesting to watch him take credit for the success brought about by the very strategies he so vociferously (and eloquently) opposed. Even more interesting will be the media's lame attempts to back up his dishonest spin.

August 25, 2010 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  2. Big George in Big D

Lies, all lies- makes me wonder just how many people will be upset by his interruption of prime time rather than how many people will actually watch his stupid nostrils as he cannot seem to lower his head to our level!

August 25, 2010 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  3. HypocriCNN

If I Heard The Rumor Correct, John Boehner Is Supposed To Be Either Offering A Counter Address On That Day, Before Or After It. One Thing Is Fact Is That The Media These Days Can't Get Their Facts (Or Opinions Or Theory Applications) Straight. Well Anyhow! I'm Looking Forward To The Speech Mr. President!

August 25, 2010 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  4. John N.C.

Obama was against the surge that won the war. He called it the Bush war. Now watch him try to take some of the credit.. We need that SOB out of Washington.

August 25, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  5. Texas Progressive

This is a much needed premptive strike. The Republicans will cetainly roll out their perpetual trumps card for every election – fear and hate. The fact that this President has been far more successful fighting terrorists tha his predecessor will likely go unmentioned. Conservatives are loathe to even mention Bush, as if his mess could be sorted out in less than two years – especially with a Party of No blocking every idea and initiative. We've suffered more from the GOP than from the terrorists.

August 25, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. welches, oregon

I'm so glad I got rid of cable TV. I can watch anything I want (or don't want to watch – i.e., repetitive commercials) and pay just an internet access charge. I don't have to see or hear this.

To Obama: I was and have been a supporter but now I just don't know about you – your policies haven't helped Middle America that I can see – certainly haven't helped me. You have pandered to your opposition with no results and lots of wasted time. You seem to have forgotten who your supporters are. If you renew those tax cuts for the rich while my 401K Bleeds daily, I will have lost all faith and will NEVER VOTE AGAIN.

August 25, 2010 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. Jack

I am sure that he will use the word "I" more times than imaginable. He will not give the real credit to any success there that is owned those that really did the job, the American Airman, Marine, Sailor, and Soldier. He will never admit that the elites were wrong, they can't be wrong they are the elite intellectual that know how best to ruin, I mean run, our lives.

August 25, 2010 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. kat

Oh Paleese!!! Must we watch this fool again. Not me. I've heard and seen enough of this fool to last a lifetime. I guess he thinks if he speaks about the success of Bush's war ( surely he won't try to take credit for the success) then we'll forget about how he's divided this country and drove our economy into the ground.

August 25, 2010 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  9. Ana

THANK YOU MR. PRESIDENT!!! For taking our combat troops out of BUSH"S oil for profit war. A war that a REPUBLICAN, MCCain AND PALIN would have been sitting on, like they said they would, for another ten plus years!
    THANK YOU!
    WE ARE OUTTA THIS HELL HOLE!!!!

August 25, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  10. Greg Pottstown PA

Shirley in California August 25th, 2010 3:07 pm ET

Looking forward to our president's speech. I'm sure it will be another intelligent moment to remember.

To address those idiots who say "Bush isn't getting his credit". Credit for what? For causing the deaths of over 4,000 soldiers? Credit for depleting our life savings to help aide another country or best yet – credit for writing thousands of bounced checks on money he KNEW we didn't have? You people are amazing. IF Bush had not started this unnecessary war (Iraq) this country would be in amazing shape. Jobs would be booming, 401(s) would be doubled and lives would have been saved. I will give him credit for one thing though: credit for being consistently void of understanding. I for one did not have any problems financially under Bush and I am doing even better under Obama. I resent him for causing unnecessary lives to be lost. And for that, I will always resent him.
    __________________________________________________________
    Credit for the strategy that won and is the reason that we can withdraw troops, you know the one that Obama was against.
    Bush didn't start this was Saddam did.
    so in your opinion Obama should not spend one more dime because we can't afford it?
    Back up that the iraq war is what killed our economy and hurt peoples 401k.
    What has obama done that has made your fiances any easier?

Do you go after the terrorists for killing 3000 civilians as hard you go after bush?

August 25, 2010 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. gerry luimes

unfortunately it is not Washington that is broken,nor that the "arrogant president is a fool", a personal prejudiced statement that can not be verified,it is the national cerebral health that is at stake.And that is no wonder if one considers the lack of education of which many are suffering.This president is-and has been-doing his darnest to rectify an ongoing poorly directed education system.Good for him.It does not matter how well the republicans may be doing presently ; Unless they come up with persons of intellect they are guaranteed facing the same impossible situation as the present administration.
    May God have mercy on this divided country...........................

August 25, 2010 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  12. mother and sister of soldiers

He has no credibility with me on any subject! Lies, blame and pats on the back....all he can do!

August 25, 2010 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  13. Rickster

Barry has been such an epic failure that he should just spend the rest of his term sitting quietly in the oval office watching cartoons so that he doesn't do any further damage to the country.

August 25, 2010 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  14. SammyD

Is he going to mention that he and Biden were against the surge? Will he unite us instead of blaming Bush? Will he make us strong again as a Nation or bring us down? I don't even bother to listen to him anymore, words mean nothing, it's his actions that speaks volumes... Have fun to all you kool-aid drinkers listening to his speech, I'm sure you'll have a love fest afterward.

August 25, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. WeThePeopleOfVirginia

Wonder which BO would get a bigger audience . . . Barack Obama or Bill O’Reilly?

August 25, 2010 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. LacrosseMom(the real one)

We look forward to listening to President Obama speak. He did not start the Bush Wars, that are costing ........$6....... billion ........each month! But he is going to have to clean-up the mess. Today's attacks in Iraq, are signs of what is to come. As Sec. Powell said to Bush, "If we break it, we own it." Powell was correct.

Sorry, America, but we will be paying for the Bush Wars for generations to come. Thank GOP!

August 25, 2010 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |