August 27th, 2010

Nagin on seeking future public office: 'I have given my pound of flesh'

Former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin told CNN’s John King on Friday that he will not seek public office.

(CNN) - Ray Nagin, the former mayor of New Orleans who was both praised and criticized for his leadership during Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath, told CNN Friday night that he will not seek public office again.

“I have kind of given my pound of flesh, my pint of blood,” Nagin said on John King USA. “Katrina has definitely extended my political life a lot quicker than I’d like.”

Nagin was first elected mayor in 2002 and squeaked out re-election with a 4-point victory over Louisiana Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu in 2006, after Katrina. Due to term limits, Nagin could not seek a third term and stepped down from office in May.

He drew heavy criticism when, in a 2006 speech on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, he urged residents to rebuild a "chocolate New Orleans" and said, "You can't have New Orleans no other way."

Watch the interview after the jump:

Filed under: JKUSA • John King USA • New Orleans • Ray Nagin
  1. Mothman

More like he has extracted a pound of flesh from all those he was supposed to serve in New Orleans...

August 27, 2010 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  2. todd

all of those people that you left to die, in new orleans and you want to get into politcs. Obama i am sure has a job for you.

August 27, 2010 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  3. Cynthia

LOSER!!!!!!!!!! He is one of those that should be held responsible for his non-actions during that time. Nothing but a race baiter! New Orleans and any other city, state, etc, does not need this kind of guy. I'll stick with the first statement....LOSER~

August 27, 2010 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. George of the jungle

time to go. Comment on Glen Beck Rally/ It sure is political. Whats this returning honor rally. Since when have we not honored our service men? This is just like the take back out country slogan they keep spouting. Hope the real rally for MLK out numbers them 2 to one. The repos are a slimmey lot so wait and see how non political it really is.

August 27, 2010 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  5. zz

Loser! He didn't evacuate the city and tried to blame everyone else....he needs to find a different line of work that doesn't require leadership skills.

August 27, 2010 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. Homer

Yep and millions of dollars went missing when he left office.

August 27, 2010 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  7. Keith in Austin

All we need. Another clueless Liberal Democrat in a Brooks Bros. suit with a slick-talking tongue. Remind you of anyone?

August 27, 2010 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  8. TOP SGT

My sympathy lies with all the lives lost and the businesses ruined by Katrina but not with the heatherns who stayed to do their lootting and shooting at the rescue helicopters. Also the ones who were given shelter in the Super Dome and then proceeded to tear it up like monkeys in a cage. It goes to show you that some people you just can not help or help enough for they always have their hand out and their government has forsaken them. Oh yeah don't forget that the government owes them for what happened to their forefathers over a century past. none of these people suffered except their porch being ruined for them to sit on and sip welfare wine. I am tired of all the hooppla that is still being made over them. If you think I'm lying go and look at all the government housing that was furnished them. What is left of those mobile homes are nothing but junik now and need reburbishing. Enough said. I have no sympathy for these people. Only the deceased and old people who couldn't help themselves. Notice I did not mentioning all the rapes that were comitted in the Super Dome. GOD FORBID HOW SAD.

August 27, 2010 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  9. Texas Progressive

Crisis scenarios make or break leaders. Sadly, some situations are so bad the outcome can never be ideal. Still, democracy allows people to vote with their hearts rather than than brains, and obstacles are seen as excuses. That's the risk of the big leagues – sports or politics.

August 27, 2010 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  10. Get A Grip

“I have kind of given my pound of flesh, my pint of blood,” Nagin said"

Give me a freakin break....You politicians have great pay, great perks, have the best medical care plus more and it's all paid by the hard working taxpayers. You people vote for your own raises, take more vacations than most of us can even dream of and never work as many days as the hard working taxpayer.....so like I said, give me freakin break Nagin and just go back to that hole you were in.

August 27, 2010 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  11. sniffit

This racist loser should crawl back to wherever he came from.

August 27, 2010 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |