August 30th, 2010

Coburn: Gingrich the last person I'd vote for

Sen. Tom Coburn had some harsh words on Friday for former Republican Speaker Newt Gingrich.

(CNN) - Newt Gingrich's camp refused to respond Monday to some sharp words spoken by fellow Republican Sen. Tom Coburn, just days after the Oklahoma senator said Gingrich is the "last person I'd vote for" during a town hall meeting.

"I'm not going to respond to that," Gingrich spokesman Rick Tyler told CNN.

Coburn ripped GOP heavyweight Newt Gingrich on Friday and took a shot at the possible 2012 contender's politics and his personal life.

"[Gingrich is] a super-smart man," Coburn said at a town hall meeting in Wagoner, Oklahoma, but added, "he's the last person I'd vote for president of the United States."

"His life indicates he does not have a commitment to the character traits necessary to be a great president," Coburn said.

The comments were first reported by Tulsa World, and Coburn's Senate office confirmed their accuracy to CNN.

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich • Tom Coburn
  1. Mark

how hard does CNN dig to find anti GOP articles?

August 30, 2010 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  2. Randy

Anyone that would have an affair and divorce his wife while she was laying up in bed with cancer is not a man I want representing me...no matter which club he's with. The man is a true scoundrel, as most politicians seem to be, but he may be one of the worst.

August 30, 2010 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  3. Livin the good life

Let me tell you,...this is how things really work. Gin"grinch" is sitting back watching all the Demos destruct and the Relic's become extinct. Then, and ONLY then will he make his move, by which he is doing so, by analyzing the publics reaction to all the crap that has/is going on in order to make better speeches/judgements on how to move ahead and running for Prez. THAT is the way it is done. THAT way, you know what the majority of people are thinking and [they are] going to vote for. Mark my words. You may not hear much from him now but, wait until we get closer to the day! The smart people stay quiet until all is said and done ONLY then to attack! Let the current [put me behind the camera and hear me spew] people speak first. That way, most of the "runners" have verbal baggage or crap footnotes for others to "quote" them from and use against each other. It's THE ONLY WAY to appeal to the majority of Americans! Beau Colby

August 30, 2010 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  4. Ed

I agree with Tom 85%. I can't agree Newt is "a super-smart man."
    I think his intelligence is barely average. I welcome anyone to prove otherwise. Oh, and please don't use "Contract with America" as an example of super smart.

August 30, 2010 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. Karen

Don't agree with you on this one Senator. Who in the heck is going to lead the Republican party.......no one in sight!

August 30, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  6. Dave K

Newt is the best idea generator in politics today bar none. I was very disappointed when he failed to enter the 2008 race. Instead we were left with the absolutely lame and worthless McCain with the only thing going for him was an ability to get shot down – in war and in politics.

Newt understands history and brings a breadth of knowledge in both the public and private sectors as well as being a phenomenal communicator. If Newt runs in 2012, I will get off the bleacher seats and join his campaign.

August 30, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  7. Lynn

Watch out if Newt slinks off to history. Huckabee is laying in wait and don't know which would be worse. But the Huck has an enormous vanity. Ask any Arkansan about his handshake and wink with the illegal Mexicans in our State..

August 30, 2010 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  8. Gov. Daniels

It's good being the darkhorse.

August 30, 2010 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  9. reality check

Do not ever, and I mean EVER, vote for a Republican from Georgia to a national office. I just moved to Georgia, and they are CRAZY here!!!!

Georgia has very low expectations for their politicians. They can get away with anythng here. The only newspaper watching the politicians is the Atlanta Journal Constitution, and it is spotty at best. Nathan Deal just won the GOP nomination for Governor, and he resigned from Congress before the ethics violations could catch up with him. And he could be our next Governor!! I will say it again, DO NOT EVER VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN FROM GEORGIA!!!

August 30, 2010 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  10. Brian Dodge

Senator Coburn says "This amendment keeps marriage from evolving into something other than what it was intended to be as the sacred union of one man and one woman."

The dictionary says "sacred –adjective
    1. devoted or dedicated to a deity or to some religious purpose; consecrated.
    2. entitled to veneration or religious respect by association with divinity or divine things; holy.
    3. pertaining to or connected with religion (opposed to secular or profane): sacred music; sacred books.

The First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ..."

It's clear that Senator Coburn puts his religious beliefs ahead of the Constitution, so why care what he thinks of Newt Gingrich.

August 30, 2010 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  11. Democrat in Indiana

Its pretty bad when you're thrown under the bus by Tom Coburn. Oklahoma is a racist and as bigoted as any state in the nation. When a fellow GOP'r isn't liked there, party is over.

August 30, 2010 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  12. Sebastian

One would have to be totally void of ethics or extremely politically naive to vote for Gingrich. He even puts his fellow belly crawling lizards to shame. The POTUS has to have character as well as intelligence. Compared to Newt Gingrich, Obama has more class in his little finger than Newt has in his entire body.

August 30, 2010 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  13. Dennis

Now I don't know what to do.

August 30, 2010 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  14. the real ib

So much hate and put downs about all of it coming from the far left. You wonder why people are getting fed up with all this; come Nov. you will find out just how fed up they are. I'm not putting anyone down just pointing out what is going to happen. You can't keep ramming bills down people's throat that they do not want and then call them racist and stupid because they look at things different than you do and expect them not to vote against it. I know I will. Remember in Nov.

August 30, 2010 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  15. Carl Justus

Tom Corban is not a person I would vote for either. He is no better than the three lying Texans we have elect president.

August 30, 2010 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  16. FedUpRepublican

"His life indicates he does not have a commitment to the character traits necessary to be a great president." Apparently there’s a different standard applied to members of Congress when it comes to character as exhibited by the fact that Ensign and Vitter are still there. By the way, this lack of character applies to members from both political parties. Far too many to list.

August 30, 2010 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  17. Sly

An intelligent republican? Is it possible?

August 30, 2010 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  18. diridi

get rid of all old junk from politics...enough mess in our nation....I strongly think we need to have senate term limits...and so congress too...

August 30, 2010 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  19. CNN=corporate non news

This is SO lovely because Coburn is implying Gingrich is a hypocrite – which is a role he is so used to playing. The hypocrisy and hidden agendas of republican politicians are so exposed at these times. I love it they eat their own!!!

August 30, 2010 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  20. Charlie

Buster Bloodvessel....my new HERO! I'm still laughing; thanks for that.

August 30, 2010 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  21. Oodoodanoo

I think Coburn's kind of nutty, but he's demonstrated a few times that he has his own voice.

August 30, 2010 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  22. Charles W. Skinner

Ok. So what? So Sen. Coburn doesn't like Gingrich. Gingrich would still make a better president than Clinton and Obama COMBINED. He would return us to the Constitutional Presidency that we are supposed to have, rather than Obama the Rock Star who is trying to use the Bully Pulpit to push a Marxist-Leftist agenda.

In a debate, Gingrich would crush Obama like a law student preparing for his first mock trial. It would be so much fun to watch, and I'm REALLY hoping I get the opportunity to see it.

August 30, 2010 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  23. Kev

If his own wives can't even trust him, why should I? If he had the unmitigated gall to be carrying on an affair with his own aide WHILE impeaching Clinton, that says a TON about his personal character. AMEN to Tom Coburn!!

August 30, 2010 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  24. Hot Patata

Tom Coburn advocates the death penalty for doctors who perform abortions. Dr. Tom Coburn (OB/GYN) is also the only Senator who has actually performed abortions. So, when it comes down to this whole "personal life/character" issue, I think I'll go somewhere else for endorsements.

August 30, 2010 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |