August 30th, 2010

Glenn Beck's 'Honor' rally: What you missed

People flocked to the National Mall and Lincoln Memorial to hear conservative commentator Glenn Beck speak at his ‘Restoring Honor’ rally.

(CNN) – Conservative commentator Glenn Beck says his revival-style rally at the Lincoln Memorial on Saturday was about restoring America's honor and returning the country to the values on which it was founded.

Tens of thousands of people showed up for the event, which also featured former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Beck insists the rally was nonpolitical, but the event, which took place on the 47th anniversary of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, and in the same place, was not without controversy.

The five things you missed:
Full story

Filed under: Glenn Beck
  1. FM

For the past two days after Beck's rally I have tried to ponder what was achievement of his rally. Why on earth anyone should leave what he was doing or having a rest as it was a weekend without knowing what comes next. I will be rude to say it was wastage of time while it was not my time wastage. Nevertheless, it is always wise to know the reason why one is doing something!

August 30, 2010 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  2. logical74

I know what I missed..... a bunch of pasty white old people who desperately need to read an American History and Civics book. Then they would know what the Civil Rights Movement, the governance structure of this country, and real traditional Republican values were/are really about. I guess its easier to have someone just rewrite history for you.

August 30, 2010 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  3. HypocriCNN

I'm Sorry Fools At CNN (HypocriCNN!), What Was I Supposed To Actually Watch At Glenn Beck's (Becks! aka Bexter! aka Elmer Fudd!) "Restoring Honor!" Rally! I Would Get More Newsworthy Information And Excitement From Watching Wet Paint Dry On A Wall. I Tell You What I Did Love About That Rally, And It's Yet Again How The Media Can't Seem To Get Its Lies Straight. First Its Hundreds Of Thousands At The Rally, Then It's Tens Of Thousands! I Mean C'mon Now, Which One Is It Already?

August 30, 2010 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  4. Senator

'Restore Honor, Return to God.'–Judas preached too!! Hitler was about restoring Honor too! Dr. King? No Beck your not Dr. King, Hitler....

I knew Dr. King, I marched with Dr. King, Dr. King was a frind of mine... Beck, Your no dr. King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 30, 2010 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  5. Eric

BTW, how was the turnout at Shakedown Sharpton's "Dozen Man March?"

August 30, 2010 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  6. Senator

You cant be for Dr. King and against the Mosque in New York lolololol

August 30, 2010 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  7. Train Wreck 2012

What everyone should find on youtube is Chris Wallace putting Beck in his place on Fox News Sunday yesterday. Just Priceless. Called him out on a few things. Beck was full of "umm, uhhs" and alot of stuttering.

August 30, 2010 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  8. Ben in Texas

This was perhaps the largest hate rally in U.S.history. That's something for that foreigner Rupert Murdoch to be proud of!

Go, Faux News! And keep going until you're out of the country.

August 30, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  9. proud dem in nc

This hypocrite had the nerve to invoke MLK several times, after calling Pres. Obama a racist, who hates whites and their culture. This moron is laughing all the way to the bank. Gullible suckers hang on his every word.

August 30, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  10. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

CNN joining tthe reverands Al and Jesse in demeaning and degrading the Beck event. If people actually changed their behavior as a result of Becks message Al and Jesse would lose all of their extortion and poverty pimp money. How come CNN failed to mention that "several hundred" showed up at the reverand Al's event? As far as the rest of the drug crazed libertards that will demean and degrade the event in the TIcker, given the message, it shows more about the your racism, bigotry, sexism and lack of ethics and morals than anything about Beck and Palin.

August 30, 2010 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  11. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Thanks Glen, but I had more important things to do, like mow the lawn!

August 30, 2010 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  12. John

What does Saran Palin and Glenn Beck know about restoring honor,they are both racist. That why they held it where they did on the day they did.
    As far as being nonpolitical all i read or heard was republican this or republican that,or i wore my elephant pin. Plus if Saran Palin there it political. Most of American people wish she just go away,far away.

August 30, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  13. Tj

This is BULL..... we know what this is about and am so gald that they dont speak for us......to follow an uneducated want to be lair news host is crazy to me......those who follow him are ????????? Restoring Honor to they is going back 300 years ago.....and I cant see that far back.........lets move forward.........I can see HONOR from my backyard.........

August 30, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  14. lil

There were a lot of good people there, but something wasnt clicking right about Beck. I just dont trust him.

August 30, 2010 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  15. doug

Glenn Beck is a great American, if all of America were to live by the morals, values, honesty, and decency of those at his rally, America would be a much safer, more compassionate, fair nation.

I suggest that you listen to the hate spewed from Democrats when you bring up Glenn Beck, these are the type of people who put a truly hateful, mean, dishonest, sick man, Al Franken in the US Senate.

August 30, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  16. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Sorry, CNN, but using the term "missed" means it was something I had been looking forward to, but was not available to witness. As I had no desire to see or hear this blatant racist spouting his divisive message, Along with Sarah the Quitter and her "real Americans" and the NRA, these people had no message I looked forward to hearing.
    Now is the time for Real Republicans to realize just how much they have been cowed by the NRA and disown them. Their message of late has been such that I would think about joining just so I could sue them for using any of my dues for political action instead of promotion of gun sports, such as skeet and trapshooting, target ranges and hunting.

August 30, 2010 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  17. Michael

I fear the coming of the anti-Christ. The description that is laid out in the bible uneasily reminds me of Glenn Beck. He continually called Obama a racists and after planting that seed, firing people up and getting people to subscribe to that he now says he should not have made it. His antics and methods are very deceiving. Gos warned us that there will be false profets that will come using His name. God is about love, forgiveness and helping one's neighbor. That is not Glenn Beck's message. He does not speak for the Lord and I think he has the potential to be very dangerious. He plays on people's fears and that is directly against the bibles teachings.

August 30, 2010 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  18. Senator

Did anyone know Dr. King's neice before this? I beleive that his Sons and daughters can speak more for him than any other relative: What did Andrew Young have to say about this? Yes there were 1/2 millon at his rally and she was the only one of color I saw. I think that Beck and Palin should take their followers to another country and drink some Kool-Aid

August 30, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  19. Ron in Califonia

You may not like the messsage but the message was good. I am not a practicing Christain but I recognize the value of Christian ideals. Much of what he said was about those ideals and moving away from and government and taking back the country as it becomes increasingly secular . Yes we are a country of many religious faiths but we were founded as and still are a Christian country. We need to be tolerant of other religions and they of Christians. So extend your hand...

August 30, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  20. Mikey

What I missed was the honor. The honor in calling our President a racist. The honor in vilifying minorities, gays, Muslims, and anyone else who does not fit into the very small demographic that is the extreme right. The honor in fighting tooth and nail to prevent most progress toward addressing our very real problems. The honor in wanting to "take our country back" – from whom? to what? to when? Some sanitized, romanticized version of the 50's when minorities knew to ride in the back of the bus and women knew their place in the kitchen? A place and time that can never exist agian due to the irreversable imacts of globalization and the information age?

I missed the honor.

August 30, 2010 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  21. Joe

Who is Glenn Beck to suggest that America's Honor needs restoring? Also, who is he to suggest that I (along with my fellow citizens) have turned away from God. If he and Sarah Palin want to admit that they have turned away from God, that is their business. But my relationship with God is just fine thank you, and unlike Beck, Palin, and other others who want to use religion for political purposes ... my relationship with God is not affected by who occupies the White House or controls the Congress. Beck, Palin, and others make millions of dollars by sowing the seeds of discontent (good news doesn't sale newspapers or get ratings). They are a dangerous breed.

August 30, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  22. stevegee

All across the country, people are angry with what Obama and the Democrats have shoved down our throats like Cod Liver Oil - take your Socialist medicine, it'll be good for you.

We The People reject their liberal agenda. That"s why In November, there will be a landslide victory for conservatives and Republicans the likes this country has never seen. And then, Obama will nothing more than a lame-duck mistake, who can then spend the remainder of his term golfing and vacationing.

Wake up people! Vote American, vote Republican.

August 30, 2010 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  23. Steve in Denver

It is so amazing that a cable "news" channel has one of it's reporters stage two events, that same "news" organization promotes the events endlessly, then covers the events like they were some kind of news.

But, I will say Bachmann's line is classic neocon. We won't let anyone get away with saying there were less than a million people here. Ain't that the neocon way: We'll make up what we want to believe, don't you dare tell us otherwise.

August 30, 2010 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. Sgt Joe

I missed seeing a bunch of media hype and Fox entertainment. Glad I have better things to do. Looked like a very homogenous group from the photos I saw, but I'm not surprised in the least. Beck does not have my respect or attention; he's simply an entertainment piece that resonates with a fringe of our society who enjoys stirring the pot. Would love to see him face off with Bill Maher....now that would be good!

August 30, 2010 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  25. KMAN821

What I missed??? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! This poor excuse of a man is a carnival barker and his followers are lacking any semblance of intelligence beyond that of sheep.

August 30, 2010 10:10 am at 10:10 am |