August 31st, 2010

2012 Watch: Citing goats, Armey declines 2012 bid

Dick Armey says he won't be running for president in 2012.
Dick Armey says he won't be running for president in 2012.

(CNN) – Dick Armey, the former Republican majority leader and lobbyist who has resurrected himself as a leader of the Tea Party movement, won't be running for president in 2012.

The reason? Goats.

Asked about running for president in 2012 during an interview with the Texas Tribune that was published Tuesday, Armey said he wouldn't be throwing his hat in the ring.

"Oh, no, no, no, no. I've got 34 goats that depend on me daily. I couldn't be away that long," the FreedomWorks chairman said.

But Armey did say that a Republican – someone very different than Obama – will be the next president.

"There's a lot of them out there. We just watch and see. Barack Obama, when he ran for president, won a talent contest. The voters looked at the whole contest through a very shallow set of lenses, and he got away with it.

"Anybody who expects to win the presidency in 2012 had better expect to win on a substantive ground of proven performance, not just lip service, good looks and talented speech-making," Armey said.

Filed under: 2012
  1. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Those 34 goats won't vote for Armey, I can hear them now saying "Bad".

August 31, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. tcaros

He's another lying Texan. He's just like the smirking chimp from Connecticutt.

This moron was trying to block healthcare reform to help his rich buddies out.

August 31, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  3. doug

Armey has his goats, and by reading the comments here, you can see Obama has his sheep.

To the brainwashed lib who never had a thought of his own in his whole life, the last kkk member to be in congress was DEMOCRAT Senator Robert Byrd, it was less than a year ago.

The great society plan that each and every Democrat here supports fully has given the Byrds with their white sheets just what they wanted.

August 31, 2010 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  4. doug

The next president will have morals, values, integrity, and character.

Since there is no Democrat in all of America who has any of those, it will be a Republican!

August 31, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. Mikey

@Buster – since you seem to think you are an accouting genius, please explain this:

Why did three GOP Administrations – Reagan, Bush, and Bush run up 60% or our entire $13.27 trillion nationa debt?

August 31, 2010 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------–

But just think Arnie of all the old goats you'd have if you did run! You gotta think of them too Arnie! And it'd be way more than the 34 you got at home!!!!!!!!!!!

Goats???!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Not even Bulls, but GOATS?!!

ROFLMAO seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 31, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  7. ruty

Dick Armey you ARE a goat.

August 31, 2010 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. lolo

@ Doug, some of the things you put on here are hilarious. I see that you do not have a clue of anything that is going on. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. You seriously believe all of fox news hype as well as Ms. Palin. You must have lost your job? Sorry about that, but you really need to understand why you lost it. You are too quick to blame Pres. Obama for everything with out explaning your true reason why. Just like a tea partier or republican (one and the same). I bet you are from the south or midwest. Leave governing and politics to people who do their research and can think for themselves. All of you sound like nuts to me. Yes I am a democrat, so what.? Truly if the republican could do better, why are they at each others throats? No substance , just all noise. First you need to find a true leader for you to win any seats. At the rate your party is going I don't think it will happen. There are too many insane people throwing out lame ideas.

August 31, 2010 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  9. FRANK - LAS VEGAS

Dick knows dick. Any time this Dick opens his mouth you know it's a lie. If fact, he should be in jail. All he preaches is hate and fear. Just another Tea Bagger old white guy who lies. He and his group wants to take over the regular GOP and it looks like he will because the GOP won't stand up to the extremists in their party. So we are all witnessing the end of the GOP. Why does Dick Armey hate America?

Vote NO in NOvember to the party of NO.

August 31, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |