August 31st, 2010

White House keeps lid on Obama, Bush talk

President Obama called former President George W. Bush on Tuesday ahead of his Oval Office address.

Fort Bliss, Texas (CNN) – President Obama telephoned former President George W. Bush from Air Force One in advance of Tuesday night's prime time speech regarding the end of the combat mission in Iraq - but the White House isn't saying what the two men discussed.

Related: Obama to tip his hat to Bush?

Obama called his predecessor while flying to Fort Bliss to meet with military personnel Tuesday morning ahead of his Oval Office address. The two spoke for several minutes according to Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton. There were no details about the subject of their conversation and Burton said no read out of the phone call would be provided.

Deputy National Security Press Secretary Ben Rhodes previewed Tuesday evening's Oval Office address with the traveling press saying Obama will speak about the broader context of the drawdown of 100,000 troops in Iraq, the enduring partnership between the U.S. and Iraq and the Iraqi's responsibility going forward.

According to the White House, troops at Ft. Bliss have served in every stage of the Iraq war from the initial invasion through today's new mission.

Filed under: George W. Bush • President Obama
  1. jeff, alabama

Looks like Bush's Iraq War plans have been
    successful.
    Surely he will get credit for it.
    You liberals have given him credit for everything else.

August 31, 2010 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  2. Independent for honest change

Hope Obama gave Bush his kudos for actually turning the Iraq situation around.... and then apologized for all the financial blame that has flung his way–even though anyone with a brain knows that the economy failure is due to democratic policies, Fannie and Freddie, and the keen oversight of Barney Frank (D) and Chris Dodd (D).

August 31, 2010 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. larry wi

Look George I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle here, and I need some expert advice. How do I pull this off? If I get this wrong Michelle will have my Bal*s.

August 31, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. bob

I was somewhat surprised when Matt Lauer quoted obama to Gibbs of what obama said about the troop surge in 2007. And did I hear Gibbs try to rewrite hx by saying obama was for the surge before he was against it!! I wonder – did obama convey to Bush that what he said in 2007 was wrong – or did obama still think he knows everything and that he is the smartest man on this earth!

August 31, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. Nick

I can hear it now:

Bush: Hello?
    Obama: It's me calling to tell you I won the war.
    Bush: Really? I thought you didn't like the war.
    Obama: I don't, but someone has to take credit and I'm here.
    Bush: Funny how that works out.
    Obama: No problem, I'll just tell my American subjects how great I am and that it was my plan all along and we'll be all set.
    Bush: Glad you could use my plan. Take care, now, ya hear?
    Obama: Bye.

August 31, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. Drunken GOP Drivers want the keys back

Wonder if they got the "SKULLS and BONES" Award for a job well done?

August 31, 2010 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. rm

GWB: "Miss me yet?"

August 31, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. Mark from Louisiana

I hope Bush asked obozo to make sure that the troops overseas will get a chance to vote this year, the justice department is not doing anything to a handful of states who haven't made changes to ensure that troops overseas will get their ballots in time to return them before the deadline.
    If anyone in our country deserves to vote it's our troops. Shame obozo is more concerned with giving illegals backdoor amnesty than supporting our troops.

August 31, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. Right Leaning Independent

He said "thank you for not listening to me when I said I was against the surge and that it would not work – I really did not have a clue what I was talking about but it sounded good to my Liberal friends"!!!

August 31, 2010 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  10. Dan

The guy won by denying the surge's success, and maybe now will stop lying about its success. Bush has done many things wrong (keeping Rumsfeld for too long was one of them), but the surge was and is successful!

August 31, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  11. Donald in CA

I disagreed with the war in Iraq and still do. But i give Bush his props
    for turning way from cheney and his dismal thinking the last two years of his presidency. Its also good to see presidents stick together for the sake of the country. No matter how sucessful the right think the war was , remember we lost over four thousand of our bravest and thousands wounded who will have health problems for the rest of their lives. Tell the families who lost loved ones what a great war it was.

August 31, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  12. No Bama

He needed George's advice. Obama couldn't make a decision if his life depended on it.

August 31, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  13. Orlando Patriot

Obama: "George, I thought this would be easy but everything I touch fails and I am looking like an idiot".
    Bush: "Barack, nothing can ever prepare you for the pressures of being president"
    Obama: "But I was a Community Organizer!! Nothing can have more pressure than that!!"
    Bush: "Barack, this job takes a lot of leadership and follow-through. Yes, you will make decisions that some people don't like but you must be firm in your conviction and character. I know you have never held a leadership role and you don't know what you are doing but stay focused and maybe you will learn as you go"
    Obama (in tears): "I didn't know this job was so hard!! I can't take it anymore!! Everyone is supposed to like me but now two-thirds of the country say I am a bad president and not handling the economy right!! I was supposed to be loved!! I was supposed to be the one that saves this country but I am just making it worse!! I just don't know what to do!!"

August 31, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  14. scout3017

It would be nice if President Obama gave some credit to Bush for transorming Iraq into a democracy. True, not everything went perfectly. But only those still blinded by their illogical anti-Bush hatred can say the campaign was a complete mistake.

August 31, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  15. greet maes

obummer needs some help, bail him out bush!

August 31, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  16. wake up

Obama's ONLY positive accomplishment for America is in Iraq........thanks to Bush! Besides that, every decision Obama has made has been WRONG.

Get this marxist out of office.

August 31, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |