September 1st, 2010

Anchor notes: John King on Joe Miller

Washington (CNN) - Joe Miller calls President Obama "bad for America" and suggests he is leading the nation on a path to socialism. But the newly minted GOP Senate nominee from Alaska also has a message for the Republican Leadership. Not to mention unapologetic views on cutting federal spending and even possibly phasing out Social Security.

A few highlights from an interview taped Wednesday, the day after tea party favorite Miller clinched the GOP nomination. (Defeating incumbent GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski.)

"There is an opportunity to lead this country out of the crisis its in and I believe the Republican Party is well suited to take up that mantle," Miller said in an interview for Wednesday's "John King, USA." which will air at 7pm. "The question is whether or not there's the courage and leadership in that party to seize the moment and to recognize that the only way out of this is to get out of the age of the entitlement state to return power back to the states and recognize that central government is broken and see what we can do about fixing things and getting the government focused on those areas the enumerated powers that it should be doing. And the Republican Party can do it but it does require courage."

So is Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky the right GOP Senate leader or should the party choose a new one?

"Anybody that embraces this message can move it forward so that's going to be up to the Republican party. It's going to be up to the people of this great nation," Miller said. "I believe that the party should embrace that message. I think it is the future of this nation. I think it will lead us out of this mess. But let's just wait and see what happens."

Democrats have labeled Miller an extremist who would abolish Social Security. He is quick to make some important distinctions about those currently receiving benefits, but is forceful in making the case be believes major changes are needed down the road. Consider this exchange:

Miller: "Longer term there has got to be a move outside of that system. Ultimately we want to transfer the power back to the states so that states can take up the mantle of those programs if they so desire. In, you know, the shorter term, I think there have been many plans proposed that can move the shift or shift this away from government control and into a sector where we can actually protect those funds

"I mean if its a privatized system, for example, I can ensure that I put my money into an account that the government is not going to steal from. ... I think most Americans recognize that that system is broken and they understand that there has got to be a change longer term to bring back some fiscal sanity and to ensure that you can actually have something when you do retire rather than depend on these IOUs that when we go insolvent aren't going to be worth much."

KING: "It is an issue that you well know can be easily demagogued, so I want to deliver a statement. You tell me if it's fair or not: That anybody in the system or close to the system is fine. We won't do anything significant to change your benefits. But how about an American born tomorrow or born the day after Joe Miller was sworn in in Washington? Would that person perhaps grow up in an America where there is not a federal Social Security program if you got your way?

MILLER: "Absolutely.

KING: "That's a fair statement?"

MILLER: "No demagoguery there at all."

Filed under: 2010 • JKUSA • Joe Miller • John King USA • Lisa Murkowski
  1. Troy

Old boy had better go to a Tea Party Rally and look at the age of those in attendance before he starts talking about phasing out Social Security.

September 1, 2010 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  2. LouAz

Great . . . Alaska can be a slave state and Hawaii can be a free state. States Rights, you betcha your cajones !

September 1, 2010 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  3. guest123

I sure hope Lisa Murkowsky runs as an independent. This guy has no concept of reality at all.

September 1, 2010 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  4. JSH

Boy if he keeps this up the Democrat may just pull Alaska from the GOP. This guy is nuts!

September 1, 2010 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  5. Danny

Millers right, lets privatize social security, we can invest it in AIG or Goldman Sachs or better yet, how about Lehman Brothers, We won't have to bail them out in the future, we'll just let them take a percentage out of my check every week and they can use it to fund there Golden Parachutes, sounds good to me.

September 1, 2010 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  6. U.S. Citizen

I'm apalled but not surprised. The Tea Partiers have no respect for the Office of the President of this country. It's all about money. What happens to all the seniors who rely on their Social Security? What happens when Wall Street tanks again (because it will due to instoppable GREED). Whatever happened to taking care of our citizens? Who is this man to proclaim our President is BAD? What respect does he engender? No surprise. When the lunatic Tea Party prefers guns to caring for each other and following the Golden Rule, they fall far short.

September 1, 2010 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  7. Tony in Maine

Miller had his undergraduate education paid for by the taxpayers – he hates socialism. I paid for my undergraduate education out of the money I earned at part time jobs and help from my family. I feel democratic socialism would greatly improve the quality of life in the United States.

In essence, Miller is saying thanks a lot sucker – I got mine, now the rest of you can ...

I'm saying that we have shared responsibilities most efficiently met by a well funded government.

September 1, 2010 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  8. Steve

I think we should do away with public education, the interstate highway system, medicare, medicaid and food stamps. We'd save tons of money and feel good about giving all those hand-me-outers the message that pulling yourself up by the old bootstraps is the American way! My grandaddy did it. And his grandaddy before him. They were good Christians and real Americans, by golly! Get rid of all those financial regulations too; nothing like the free market to solve our economic problems. That Mr. Bush et al sure knew what they were doin'. By golly!

September 1, 2010 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  9. LouAz

Clearly this clown does not know anything about how Social Security works. Make it Private ? Give it to Lehman Bros, and insure it with AIG, and then you can slice it and dice it and get your buddies to give it a AAA rating then you can sell the cherry picked accounts to . . . Gabon, and Nepal and Lichstenstein (sp?) as they might be the only ones left with any money after the same Wall St worked over home mortgages.
    Never forget Reagan Republican Trickle Down Economics = Golden Showers !

September 1, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  10. Indy

It did not take long for this idiot to start showing his Palinisms. Big whoop te doo he can spew off his ahte for the sitting President of his country. Such big a mouth for a little man from a little state. Alaska is soon becoming a state that thrives on socialism and spewing hate for the President.

September 1, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  11. David Hightower-AR

I say we let this guy and his kind win. Sit back and do just the Rest of the Republicans did (Nothing but Bitch). Let the US fall apart. Then the once great Republican Part will be destroyed.

Man – I sure do wish I had my Republican party back..

This New Republican Party is all about "The right to life liberty and money just for the privileged few. " This is their MOTO.

September 1, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  12. Eimerd

Another T party nutcase that wants to take us back to the dark ages.

September 1, 2010 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. js

If Mr. Miller is serious about reducing government spending, he should eliminate federal monies going to Alaska first. These right-wing extremist hypocrites need to walk the walk before they are taken seriously. Social Security is one of the greatest social programs ever developed by government. Its in trouble because prostiticians have borrowed from it for wars of choice like the Iraq fiasco.
    Pay back the money borrowed from Social Security and there won't be any problem.

September 1, 2010 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. Monty

What an idiot. I wonder if he knows this...

September 1, 2010 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  15. Ken

Another Alaska loon. Is he from Wasilla too???

September 1, 2010 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  16. Lee in Oregon

God help us if there are more CRAZIES out there like Miller who ends up in Congress.

Do away with Social Security???!!!! Yeah lets let Wall Street gamble our money away.

According to this nut we may as well disband the federal government entirely and leave everything up to each individual state. They have no money now with help from the federal government. So much for the UNITED STATES of America. Hasn't history taught us anything?

Wake up America. Hatred and fear mongering vs. common sense.....what do you think?

September 1, 2010 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  17. Dan

And I suppose the Bush administration was good for America? Obama fixing George's message domestically and internationaly.

September 1, 2010 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  18. works for me

He's not even out of the gate and already his jaws are flapping lies. The GOP created the entitlement minded and greedy among us today.

Lies, greed and collusion... all brought to you by the Republican Party of NO... nothing!

September 1, 2010 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  19. Dan

Typo, meant to say Georg's mess.

September 1, 2010 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  20. Burger

OK, Mr. Miller, if that's how you feel, why not start by renouncing all Federal subsidies to the State of Alaska? "According to the Tax Foundation, Alaska ranked first in federal spending per capita in 18 of the 25 years from 1981 through 2005. In 2005 Alaskans received $1.84 for every dollar they sent to Washington in taxes."

September 1, 2010 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  21. Susan

When Joe Miller realizes that Alaska is THE socialist state of the 50, when he stops the government pork dollars that roll into his state from the rest of us, when he starts finally taxing Alaskans to pay for their own infrastructure instead of relying on US, he might have some credibility. Until then, he is just another Republican hypocrite.

September 1, 2010 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  22. Dan

Alright, too much caffein. Obama is fixing George's mess here and abroad. That is the party of your choice, Miller.

September 1, 2010 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  23. Louis

I applaud Mr. Miller for his frankness.

However, if he is thinking that the government is stealing the SS funds, won't turning those same funds on to the folks that lost billions be the same thing? I am assuming that Mr. Miller is going to want to put those funds somewhere and I take it won't be under a mattress for a rainy day.

It would really be nice if people want change in government would get into politics to benefit everyone instead of insuring that it works for the privilege few. That is change I could support, not this constant "Government is bad, Business is Good" BS that some people tend to believe in.

September 1, 2010 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  24. republican taliban

So you want to take my money and give it to wall street so an overpaid ceo can steal it? nice plan, douchenozzle.

September 1, 2010 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  25. gregg

I like how all these upstart republicans and experienced republicans are just now standing up to "lead" this country out of this mess.

For 8 long boring, tedious years we all watched Bush and the "republican strategy" run this country into the ditch. No one not Sarah the idiot Palin, Joe the rookie miller or Mitch double chin McConnell stood up to do a thing. They only stand up and scream when they are not in charge.(hint, hint)
    If you privatize SS so the govt. cannot steal your money all that will happen is the bankers will steal your money, or if the market dips you lose your money. No silver bullet her.

More political double speak, false logic, rhetoric and disinformation for the masses to cling to.

America is an embarrassing place to be right now!

September 1, 2010 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |