September 2nd, 2010

Hillary Clinton for president ad hits airwaves

, ,
A new ad advocating for Hillary Clinton for president in 2012 began running in New Orleans Wednesday.

(CNN) - We've still got two months left until the 2010 midterm elections, but we now have our first television commercial of the 2012 presidential campaign. And the ad advocates for a person who says she has no intention of running for the White House.

"She has more experience working in and with the White House than most living presidents. She is one of the most admired women in our nation's history. Let's make sure the president we should have elected in 2008 will be on the ballot in 2012. Hillary 2012: Hillary Clinton for President. Start now. Where there's a Hill there's a way," says an ad that began running on television in New Orleans Wednesday.

The commercial was paid for by a Chicago dentist named William DeJean.

When asked why he put the ad up, DeJean told CNN Thursday that "I'm a dentist and I don't think this country is headed in the right direction."

Regarding Clinton, DeJean says "I think she is the most qualified."

DeJean adds that he thinks people are having buyer's remorse about President Barack Obama and says the current administration is ruining the Democratic Party. He says he spent $5,000 to create the commercial and tells CNN that besides New Orleans, the ad will run in Washington, New York and Los Angeles, and possible Houston. DeJean says he chose to first run the ad in New Orleans because he's a native of the city and because the city's in the news due to the fifth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.

"I didn't expect to see any ads about 2012 before the midterms in 2010, although this will likely not be a big TV buy, Mr. DeJean clearly is motivated to see change," says Evan Tracey, Campaign Media Analysis Group and CNN's consultant on political TV ad spending.

According to data from CMAG, DeJean paid to run ads supporting Clinton during the 2008 presidential campaign. Clinton, senator from New York at the time, battled then Sen. Obama of Illinois in a marathon and historic Democratic primary season, nearly becoming the woman to win a major party presidential nomination, before ending her bid and endorsing Obama in June 2008.

Since becoming secretary of state in the Obama administration, Clinton has squashed any talk of her either challenging Obama in 2012 or making another bid for the White House down the road.

In an interview with NBC last October, Clinton said "no" three times to the question "will you ever run for president again?"

At town hall in Saudi Arabia in February, Clinton said "I am very proud to support Barack Obama and I will continue to support Barack Obama."

Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @psteinhausercnn

Filed under: 2012 • Hillary Clinton
  1. Aviate

And who better than a dentist to tell us if the country is headed in the right direction?

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion Karl Rove & Dick Armey are behind this?

September 2, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  2. TOTALFACT from a veteran Army Retiree an ex-Democrat!

YES, most definitely she should run. She would win the Democrat primary hands down. Do not let this opportunity go by Hillary. The moron Erkel has destroyed his chances of being re-elected.

September 2, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  3. reese

I agree. Clinton 2012

September 2, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. Beverly

STUPID dentist

September 2, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  5. Doraine Gordon

Oh, how stupid!! Presiden Obama will run for a second term and will get it. Hillary Clinton doesn't want that office and won't run. People started this same stuff in 2004 trying to put her in the Whitehouse in 2008. Well, I got sick and tired of hearing the Hillary name. So I guess for the next two years we have to put up with that stuff again. What a waste of time and money.

September 2, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  6. Dave

Sure she is doing such a great job in her position now...ugh!

September 2, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  7. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

We don't need another corrupt, union toady president, however Hillary does seem at least competent to what we currently have.

September 2, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  8. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Mr. DeJean, I don't see what Hillary would be doing different from the President if she were in office. Republicans will still obstruct her policies, probably just not as bad as President Obama. The only difference is you probably would have not seen the rise of the Tea Party bigots.

September 2, 2010 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. Rick McDaniel

Bad choice.

Certainly hope that will not come true.

September 2, 2010 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  10. WB, Fort Lauderdale

DeJean needs to focus on cleaning teeth and cavity and stay out of politics. Obama is the best President America has ever elect!!!

September 2, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. BlackBarbie

You speak for yourself, you don't speak for me and I am not having buyers remorse regarding the President, thank you very much, must be white. The blatant disrespect for this President stinks to high heaven, he is not going to apologize or denounce his blackness, sorry you have a problem with it, but it is your problem.

September 2, 2010 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  12. cocitizen

It is exactly this sort of nonsense that proves Will Rogers' statement about not being a member of any organized political party, I'm a Democrat. We Democrats have enough problems fending off the lies and propaganda being thrown around this mid term by the GOPers. We don't need to be shooting ourselves in the foot. Which is exactly what an ad like this does.

September 2, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  13. Stacey

Aww, poor DeJean. Obama won the election and DeJean hasn't gotten over it. Too bad.

September 2, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  14. Sniffit

LOL. What does that even mean? haha. "I'm a dentist'...whoopdee doo...he overcharges people to act like their personal toothpick once every 6-12 months. Clearly, however, that fact adds incredible weight to his opinions regarding foreign policy, legal issues, political matters, domestic policy and the state of the domestic and international economies. I wouldn't be suprised if Clinton asks him to cut the crap, as it's embarassing to not only himself, but to her.

September 2, 2010 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. Riley

It's the ANYONE BUT OBAMA mentality.

September 2, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  16. Jayden,FL

I will support her in a heartbeat if she runs in 2012!

September 2, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  17. Wil in L.A.

The democrats best bet is Obama not running for re-election and Hillary taking it for the win over any Republican. She can beat Romney, Obama can't.

September 2, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  18. June in Chicago

This is part of the problem with politics. Any idiot with enough money can buy air-time and say whatever they want. No matter how ridiculous it is. She has already said "NO" on several occassions. Doesn't anybody listen?

Mr. DaJean – we are not suffering "buyer's remorse". We are, however, suffering from baffoons like you. I believe this is just another tactic to try and seperate and divide the country. This time within the Democratic Party. Let me guess, you are really a Republican . . . Figures!

September 2, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  19. derrick

Get over yourself asshole.....Obama won....Hillary lost!!

September 2, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  20. rachel

Now watch all the Obama supporters start attacking Hillary even though she had nothing to do with this ad.

September 2, 2010 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. Debbie

William DeJean need to go work on his mouth. In 2012 it's going to be Obama/Clinton ticket and in 2016 will will be Clinton/? ticket.

September 2, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  22. DIANA

As much as I am proud of and VERY glad we have our current President, I think she should have won in 2008. I hope she runs in 2016, after Obama's second term. I'd love to see her as Vice-President, (no offense to Biden) and then President. What a team that would make!

September 2, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. sine

Why does he think her deas will be any different than Obama's when she works in his cabinet?? What in particular does this guy not like about Obama? His gender or race? I will say this...Hillary or Obama is better than any conservative candidate –bet on that.

September 2, 2010 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  24. Dave

I guess this means that the democrats now know that their President has not succeded in moving the country forward as predicted.

September 2, 2010 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  25. Kwesoe

Well, dentist dejean, I hope your ad ends with: "I'm Hillary Clinton and I approve this message." People like you who live off the backs of the poor and elderly that are on medicare should be thankful to have a business at this time.

September 2, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |