September 3rd, 2010

Beck scoffs at 'lie' allegations

Beck is laughing at critics who are making a big deal over his 'lie.' at last weekend's rally.

(CNN) -Glenn Beck is scoffing at recent attacks from MSNBC's Keith Olbermann and others after the Fox News host inaccurately told the crowd at his recent Washington, DC rally that he "held" George Washington's handwritten inaugural address.

"I thought it would be a little easier in the speech," Beck told his radio listeners Thursday as he dismissed the most recent liberal attack directed at him.

The uproar from the left came in response to a comment Beck made during his Restoring Honor rally on the National Mall last weekend in which he said, "I went to the National Archives and held the First Inaugural Address written in his own hand by George Washington."

Turns out the Archives' policy doesn't allow members of the public to touch rare documents like the First Inaugural Address. Instead, Beck was permitted to view the document through plastic – prompting Olbermann to declare "his story that he actually got to hold it…is wrong."

"His fib stands in stark contrast to the point of the rally, which was all about restoring the principles of courage and honor that the nation was founded upon," the publication Mother Jones chimed in.

But Beck himself didn't seem frazzled by the allegations.

"They are like, 'He's such a liar. Glenn Beck is such a lair!' said Beck laughing off the criticism.

"I thought I'd be a little easier than to say, 'Yesterday, I went to the National Archives, and they opened up the vault, and they put on their gloves, and then they put it on a tray, and they wheeled it over, and it's all in this hard plastic, and the because you're sitting down at a table and you can't – because of [Former National Security Advisor] Sandy Berger - you can't actually touch any of the documents because they are very rare'…..I thought it was a little clumsy to explain it that way."

"Might have been a little too much useless information!" Beck exclaimed. "Once again, they caught me."

Filed under: Glenn Beck
  1. sc_concernedcitizen

Top notch reporting again.
    Olbermann you are truly the most hateful person.

September 3, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Russell Hammond

If this is the best sort of dialogue conservatives can offer up, Republicans are still in trouble. From what I hear of Rep. candidates for the 2012 Presidential race, it's Bobby "Weasel" Jindal, Mitt "Magic Underwear" Romney, Mike "Banjo Baptist" Huckabee and...wait for it...Sarah Palin who seems to be the Republican front runner yet totally unelectable. Another words, the "(un)usual suspects" from the last election. Pretty sad.

September 3, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Shari from Madison WI

I'm not surprised. Glenn Beck is a deluded liar. He thinks he sees all the specks in other's eyes, but he really has a huge plank in his eyes.

He disgusts me.

September 3, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  4. California Gary

If Beck lies about the little things, what do you suppose he's doing when it comes to the big things?

September 3, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. ghp

Glenn Beck is in love with himself. It is sad to see so many people fall for his garbage. He does nothing to promote the good of people. He makes millions and millions of dollars preaching the negative and feeding on prejudice.

September 3, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. awaitingliberalizationbyCNN

While people like Oblerman are allowed to spew their racist, bigoted, sexist, drug inspired swill all over the place, he is going to hold Beck accountable. That is why liberals are out the door in November. Contemplate this while you enjoy the lie about your "summer of prosperity" and as you review your Health Insurance renewals for next year, just remember that you were told it would not cost you one dime more.

September 3, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. P.D.

When is Glenn Beck NOT lying?

September 3, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. Barb

Of course we are afraid of Glenn Beck; in the same way that the Jews and Gypsies feared Hitler. He is a nut case with the prowess of inciting other nut cases. History teaches us to fear these people. They prey on the ignorant that have an appetite for fear and hatred—a deadly combination.

September 3, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. Dan

Glen is such a disinfo agent that loves to use double-talk.

September 3, 2010 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  10. American

Glenn becks entire life is a lie.

September 3, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. rkm63

OMG! How childish and petty, but that's exactly what I would expect from the leftwing media. And Keith Olbermann? He's one of the biggest idiots on cable.

September 3, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. leftwingliberalsocialism is worse than a disease

yeah, keep spitting out Beck's lies because you can't stomach the fact that YOUR President, yeah the one YOU voted for, lies every single time he makes a promise about something.
    Obama is a joke and will in time be found to be one of the worse Presidents EVER. Yes, even worse than GWB which takes quite a bit of doing to top him but O will do it.

September 3, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  13. VnVtrn

Anonymous: Why don't you list the 10 "lies" PRESIDENT Obama tells each day???? (OR, did you just tell one yourself)
    BECK did LIE !

September 3, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  14. Bill

It's a weird little lie. Doesn't reprove anything. Beck in a class-less fool. Conservative politics are fine. Beck as a figurehead is absolutely embarrassing.

September 3, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  15. Tanbiker2

Well, we've all known for a long time that Glenn Beck is a pathological liar. All Mormons are.

September 3, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  16. Jaywing

My goodness - Glenn Beck caught lying? I thought that was standard operating procedure at FOX news, with the Beck-ster leading the way. I have a better gameplan for CNN when reporting on the ramblings of Beck - wait until he tells the Truth, then report that! You'll have nothing to write about from this twisted, bigoted, racist loud-mouth for weeks on end.

September 3, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. Republican Hypocrite

So what does the Bible say about LYING? Beck is a hypocrite and a liar.

September 3, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  18. hitobito

Glenn Beck was not even a mediocre student at Sehome HS. So you have to hand it to him...making over $30 million a year appealing to people who make less than $35K a year with his right wing drivel!

September 3, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  19. Joe Lee

I am writing this with my own hand.. well, not really writing... I'm actually typing it... and technically, it's not in my own hand... yes, my hands are doing the typing, but it can hardly be my own hand since the keyboard is sending some arcane codes to my PC which is interpreting them into letters... well, it's not really a PC... it's a Mac personal computer... which is technically a PC but not really (you know all that "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" stuff... so they must be different)... whewwww.... I am such a liar. I'm just sayin...

September 3, 2010 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  20. please

He's an idiot.

September 3, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  21. John

Typical Beck lie. Did everyone catch how he is actually a Mormon? That explains his unrealistic grasp on life and his ultra right wing politics.

September 3, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  22. stike1

can not be an extremist unless you prevaricate and then believe it yourself ala Beck and Palin. between 2 of them more stretching of the truth then should be allowed . their fawning sheep pick it up as factual and repeat. should use snopes and politifact more often before they spread their poison.

September 3, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  23. Seriously

Seriously ... I mean seriously ... hold on a minute .. seriously. 10 lies a day EVERY day. This is just stunning. I had no idea that Obama made enough public comments to lie 10 times every day. I must be tuning into the wrong channel. Fox News here I come, I need to hear more about these 10 lies a day.

September 3, 2010 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  24. Ken

"What a Joke – Obama lies at least 10 times a day EVERY day and you never see anything about this from CNN, Double standard – ya think"

They all lie. But repug lies caused a war which Obama had to end a economic downfall and all you people do is use racist rants and have nothing to bring to the table that works. I wish I could get on board but everyday I'm turned off from the lies from the republicans. The worst this is they are the ones who put us in this trouble. Remember Regan and free trade agreement. Bush and the war. It goes on and on. Get over yourselves and give me one good thing the party of no has done. They didn't even want women to vote back in the day or minorities. Go figure.

September 3, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  25. chris

You know what would be news....when Beck doesn't tell a lie. I'm still trying to figure who lies more, Roger Clemmons or Glenn Beck.

September 3, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |