September 3rd, 2010

Beck scoffs at 'lie' allegations

Beck is laughing at critics who are making a big deal over his 'lie.' at last weekend's rally.

(CNN) -Glenn Beck is scoffing at recent attacks from MSNBC's Keith Olbermann and others after the Fox News host inaccurately told the crowd at his recent Washington, DC rally that he "held" George Washington's handwritten inaugural address.

"I thought it would be a little easier in the speech," Beck told his radio listeners Thursday as he dismissed the most recent liberal attack directed at him.

The uproar from the left came in response to a comment Beck made during his Restoring Honor rally on the National Mall last weekend in which he said, "I went to the National Archives and held the First Inaugural Address written in his own hand by George Washington."

Turns out the Archives' policy doesn't allow members of the public to touch rare documents like the First Inaugural Address. Instead, Beck was permitted to view the document through plastic – prompting Olbermann to declare "his story that he actually got to hold it…is wrong."

"His fib stands in stark contrast to the point of the rally, which was all about restoring the principles of courage and honor that the nation was founded upon," the publication Mother Jones chimed in.

But Beck himself didn't seem frazzled by the allegations.

"They are like, 'He's such a liar. Glenn Beck is such a lair!' said Beck laughing off the criticism.

"I thought I'd be a little easier than to say, 'Yesterday, I went to the National Archives, and they opened up the vault, and they put on their gloves, and then they put it on a tray, and they wheeled it over, and it's all in this hard plastic, and the because you're sitting down at a table and you can't – because of [Former National Security Advisor] Sandy Berger - you can't actually touch any of the documents because they are very rare'…..I thought it was a little clumsy to explain it that way."

"Might have been a little too much useless information!" Beck exclaimed. "Once again, they caught me."

Filed under: Glenn Beck
  1. DAVE

it's simple. eather you lied or you didn't . he did.
    seems it's not that simle for Conservatives , though.
    The score in the big game yesterdqay was 3-1
    well, it was or it wasn't. Beck seems to want to argue the score. He's wrong

2. Anonymous

The complete and utter sheep mentality of these extreme conservatives is incredible. You're so far right, everyone not as single-minded as you is defined as liberals. Not even sure why I'm bothering to comment, as you don't actually hear anything that's not said by your mouthpieces. When I start hearing original thoughts and not talking points come from your side of the debate, then this country might actually get somewhere.

It's amazing how many things that are being done to HELP you, you're opposed to. It's sheer ignorance. And how you think Obama in less than 3 year can do more damage than your boy Bush did in his 8 years, I'll never understand.

Bush put the holes in the boat. Obama took on a sinking ship and is doing his best to bail out the water. Stop wasting time trying to blame people for your problems and come up with some solutions.

I clicked on this link because I thought it was novel "Glen Beck caught in a lie" – ha, when isn't he? He's an ENTERTAINER. You might as well be following Ozzy Ozbourne or Madonna – they're as credible as he is. He's laughing at you when the cameras are off, make no mistake. He doesn't care about you or your needs, he only cares how much he can get his pawn to do and how much money you bring him. He has no vested interest in your happiness – he lies every time he says "I care".

Not even sure why I bother, I know it's like talking to a brick wall. I just mourn for this country that people in it are so afraid of things they'll believe anyone who will offer them shallow promises and will give them a villain to hate – whether it's deserved or not. But who can blame him – you people make it SO easy.

3. bdhms

'I held your wife in my hands' is a lot different than 'I got to see her behind glass'... :)

Assuming he is supposed to have a way with words, he could have easily said he reviewed the document recently instead of saying he held it in his hands.

I suppose it's not that bad, but he's such a tool to begin with, and he skews everything. This is just one more thing in his alternate reality.

4. GREGOIRE

What a PATHETIC attempt!! Is it envy... or is it just blatant media bias? I mean seriously... politicians of ALL stripes lie on a regular basis... but we don't hear much about the left. Then we have this flacid attempt at smearing Beck... absolutely disgusting "journalism". I really don't know how you guys sleep at night... are you really THAT parranoid and insecure in your own political beliefs, that you have to disect every word out of this man's mouth and try to find ANY possible little detail to "bust" him on? Weak... it makes you look childish and speaks VOLUMES of the strength of your own position. You wonder why people don't trust the left... it's because your own parranoid dilusions spill over and taint the entire picture... people see that and it's clear to the rest of us, that you wouldn't go to such childish legths to defind a position of merit.... only to defend a position you yourselves are insecure about. Liberal elitism at its finest.

5. amanda

If you people are really so disgusted with CNN, then why are you on still on the site? Idiots. Go to Fox News instead. If Obama truly is lying, I'm sure they'll be the first to report it.

6. I'm Anonymous

Rather than say, " went to the National Archives, and they opened up the vault, and they put on their gloves, and then they put it on a tray, and they wheeled it over, and it's all in this hard plastic, and the because you're sitting down at a table and you can't – because of [Former National Security Advisor] Sandy Berger – you can't actually touch any of the documents because they are very rare'"....

why not just say, "I went to the National Archives and viewed it!"?

Don't be so overly dramatic, Mr. Beck. Geez!

7. Anonymous

Beck is a liar, but not b/c of his "artistic license". He spreads propaganda, pure and simple.

8. Steve in Boston

Glenn Beck is an entertainer. He would never let details ruin a well-told story. We should allow entertainers artistic license. We should not look to them for political leadership.

9. katnick

All Mr. Beck had to say was that he "gazed upon" the document. Easy enough.

The implication is that Mr. Beck got up close and personal with the one of the founding fathers. That does not make him more American than I am.

To Mr. Beck and all the Tea Partiers, I am a real American with American values that include honor, justice, fairness and honesty. I also believe in health care for all, legal pathways to immigration, religious freedom (including Muslims), legal recognition of same sex relationships, the end to the war in Iraq, the reality of global warming and the imperative development of clean and independent energy. I believe that we pay taxes for the right to live in a civilized American society. The government may not be the answer for every problem; but you are sadly mistaken if you think that private industry has all the answers.

I don' t want you to "take our country back" – I want to take it forward. And if you can't help take the USA forward, get out of the way of those who are trying!

10. harvey 60

fair and balanced, just like FOX News and Beck's stormtrooper friends like Bachmann (we're witnesses, there were a million people at the rally) and Palin (yellow journalists are to blame) and Brewer (illegal immigrants caused the beheadings). what's next, sainthood for RR?

11. Bob

Surely he meant to say that he "Beheld" the document! What a pathetic excuse for a story.

12. Bo

I would put Glenn Beck's lies up against Obama any day of the week. Beck lies to make people angry and it is dangerous.

Besides the tile of the rally spoke of honor and integrity...SO lead by example Mr. Beck.

13. Bill NY

This is about the disgusting Glenn(the hate monger)Beck, not the president. Some people will never, ever get over the fact that he was elected. He has done so much in so little time to help this nation. While Beck has done everything he can to divide it.

14. Anonymous

I ran into an old high school friend at a bar. He said, "I just saw your brother, I ran into him on the street just last week." I told the guy, "I don't have a brother." Without missing a beat, he said, "I know, and when did he grow that beard, I hardly recognized him." Lies bother me, and lies to cover-up lies bother me, regardless of who tells them. I agree, in the big scheme, this looks like a small, perhaps even meaningless instance. But look at his excuse – couldn't he have simply said, "I saw" instead of "I held?" And, look at the broader context. When someone makes a point, conjures and image, or fosters and emotion that we enjoy, that we want to have or to believe, but must lie to do it, there is something wrong with us if we're not pissed. If you don't think so, just think of the dude who lied to your daughter to get her into bed. Beck is a player. If you want to get used, if you want to be humiliated at the aisle, keep going out with him.

15. lforlegend

Beck = fool. His followers = fools.

16. amanda

If you people are really so disgusted with CNN, then why are you on still on the site? Go to Fox News instead. If Obama truly is lying, I'm sure they'll be the first to report it.

17. SweeonGeeks.com

Glenn Beck is manipulative and insane. His followers are as well. Only weak-minded sheep fall for his hate filled, right wing nut job rhetoric.

18. Da Professor

Then we will add the constant lies by Beck and his racist budddies on the Fox Channel.

19. Jim in Dallas

The left is being absolutely insincere in their effort to split hairs between Beck holding a paper document and Beck holding a paper document wrapped in plastic. There is no material difference and it is silliness like this that causes the public to lose faith in the left and right factions.

20. Anonymous

He lied at a rally entitled restoring honor. Are you kidding me and all these morons think there is nothing wrong with that. Hypocrits one and all!!!

September 3, 2010 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  21. NW_Marc

The growing fervor of the indoctinated masses of GlennBeckistan makes me want to vomit in my mouth a little. That said, this is a pretty petty article. Don't we have real problems to deal with?

September 3, 2010 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  22. Russ139

Beck, Palin, and the rest of them, are expert on speaking on the "edges" of truth. Those edges can be the difference between a so-so line, and an inspiring or exciting one. When in doubt, go to the "edge." Their followers don't dwell on the facts, anyway; it's the rhetoric that they want – so give it to them. Facts are for losers.

September 3, 2010 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  23. Ann

Oh baloney!!! This isn't news. If he ever tells the TRUTH, that would be news worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2010 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  24. Tj

All of you Beck fans........we know what Beck is all about and we know what you are all about. You can't think for yourself so you listen to the head of the KKK>.....Beck and Fox news lies all the time........No one is afraid of Beck you are afraid of a Black Man in charge . His little KKK
    I Had a Dream wasnt about the Military or GOD is was about HATE
    iT was all a smoke screen. If he praise GOD and you know about his HATE what that make you? Molly mmm your HATE is coming out .....you need to get a JOB because something is vwrong with you.
    By the way GOD loves everyone. You BECK fans you cant serve two master.

September 3, 2010 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  25. Sarah P

Stop and think about this......

If the right wing keeps attacking the media, they don't have to answer any of their questions. Then....no one can see that Sarah, Jan Brewer, Glenn Beck, Rush, etc. don't HAVE to know anything about anything. They can just keep attacking the media. Right?
    This is all so clear. Jan Brewer was a perfect example when the media was asking her about the headless bodies in the desert. She would NOT answer the media's unrelenting questions because it was a LIE!
    They are masters at it!