September 3rd, 2010

Maes to remain in Colorado governor's race

(CNN) - Embattled Republican nominee Dan Maes has decided to stay in the Colorado governor's race, despite increased pressure for him to drop out.

Maes released a statement Friday evening saying that he "[C]annot turn my back on the 200,000 voters who nominated me to run for this office."

Earlier Friday, Colorado Senate candidate Ken Buck called on Maes to quit his bid for governor, the latest in a string of Colorado Republicans calling on the Tea Party favorite to step down before he is officially certified as the party's nominee.

Read the full statement after the jump.

"After speaking with, and hearing from, numerous Coloradans – from former Senators to family farmers – I've determined that I cannot turn my back on the 200,000 voters who nominated me to run for this office," said Maes. "During this time of deliberation, I listened equally to those who wanted me in this race and those who did not, and after internalizing that advice, I'm proud to say I'm in it to win it.

"To those who have withdrawn their support for my campaign, I am confident that the truth will be revealed. I hope you'll hear my side of the story and help our party regroup and unite to beat the Democrats. And for those who continue to stand strong by my side, people like Wayne Allard, Kent Lambert, Paul Tauer, and Dave Schultheis, thank you for honoring this endeavor with your trust and your confidence.

"And finally, to the citizens of this state, don't believe everything you read. This campaign found success through hard work, palm-pressing, and shoe leather, and that's how I plan to engage voters over the next two months and claim victory on November 2nd."

-CNN's Steve Brusk contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2010 • Colorado
  1. cocitizen

First, I am a Democrat, so I am glad he is staying in the race. That said, I must comment on the sorry state of politics and candidates running on both party tickets in my state. It is pitiful when the Democratic candidate is such an easy target and weak candidate that the only way he can win the governorship is if the GOPers are in disarray and split their votes. But, the Democrats are going to lose every other statewide race in CO this year because we nominated such flawed candidates for Gov. and US Senator. As a result of the weaknesses at the top the ticket, the excellent down ballot statewide Democratic candidates are going to lose as well. Sadly and scary is the fact that as weak as
    Bennet and Hickenlooper are, the GOPers are worse.

September 3, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  2. bob

Do we not see the pattern here. The Republicans and Tea Party people are so corrupt, yet people in these states still want to elect them over moral Democrats. Says a lot about the people in these states, ( and the United States, unfortunately).

September 3, 2010 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  3. blue

GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 3, 2010 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  4. colowest

What's the big deal? The End Justifies the Means has been the mantra of the Repuglican Party since 1912, when the last honest Republican, left the party to form the Bull Moose Party.

Lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, until it's been repeated so many times everybody believes it's the truth. Pure Goebbels.

Welcome, Governor Hickenlooper!!!

September 3, 2010 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  5. malabar

according to libs, the mere mention of Obama on the beck thread is ignorant and hateful. whew, good thing they dont obsess about Palin on threads she has nothing to do with. otherwise they wud b hateful, ignorant, racist hypocrites according to their own logic. f ing retards are hilarious in their blind rage

September 3, 2010 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  6. Anonymous

It only becomes a problem if you think of Glenn as more than an entertainer.

I don't know why Keith gives him any credibility.

September 3, 2010 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  7. harold

Republican party in Colorado is a joke.. Just what do you expect the Republicans in Colorado to do for you..?... Especially the un-employed people in the usa.. The Repuiblicans will just vote against any extension of un-employment insurance.. Well vote for em and learn to love the Republicans...... if that is wha you all want..Huh?

September 3, 2010 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  8. The Real Tom Paine

Can't wait to see how this one turns out. The GOP just blew a golden chance to take the Governor's chair by nominating a man who appeals to the lowest common denominator. To make things worse, they trashed him when he refused to step aside. Personally, I love this, because it shows the rank hypocrisy and incompetence of the GOP on every level imaginable.

They deserve to lose.