September 3rd, 2010

Texas lawmaker admits mistake in scholarship scandal

(CNN) – A veteran House representative from Texas said she made a mistake when she awarded charitable scholarships to her family members instead of students in her district.

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX) has been under fire recently, accused of breaking rules in giving the scholarships to relatives.

"I've acknowledged that I was negligent. I've acknowledged that I made a mistake," Johnson said during an interview on CNN's "AC 360" on Thursday.

Johnson is accused of awarding scholarship money to her grandsons, David and Kirk Johnson, as well as the children of her Dallas district director, Rod Givens, last year. Each of the relatives were awarded two scholarships in the past year.

Full story

1. Hangar 13

I guess it depends on what the meaning of "mistake" is. November 2 can't come soon enough, good riddance, Democrats!

September 3, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  2. Indiana Voter

Just another crooked Democrat, who is part of the "culture of corruption" that the Democrats have created in Washington. Vote her out and prosecute her!

September 3, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  3. Claudia, Houston, Tx

The only mistake this woman made was getting caught, she knew the rules and she told her grandchildren to lie. She knew her grandchildren were out of her district to receive scholarship funding and even if they were in her district she couldn't award them a scholarship. The rules clearly state, no family members. I'm a democrat and don't support liars and cheaters under any circumstances.

September 3, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  4. Buster

"I made a mistake". How about I cheated the system to reward my family and cronies. Only an Obozo voter could believe that story.

September 3, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  5. Thomas

That is a pretty big "mistake" to make.

Accidently giving tax dollars to your grandkids?

September 3, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  6. doug

Typical Democrat, that's really all that needs to be said.

September 3, 2010 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  7. jim

This was more than a mistake.She tried to game the system to try to help some of her relatives.Corruption is alive and well and these representatives never admit guilt even when caught.

September 3, 2010 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  8. rachel

Umm I think that's more than a mistake.

September 3, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  9. Ben

Yet another crooked Democrat that needs to go.

September 3, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  10. Fair is Fair

I don't think the "I made a mistake" excuse would fly if some shenanigans were uncovered by one of us peons... but since your a representative from the democratic party, I'm sure all will be forgiven.

Sheeeesh.

September 3, 2010 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  11. Riley

She's done. We don't need anyone like her in the congress. It's bad enouch already.

September 3, 2010 10:53 am at 10:53 am |