September 4th, 2010

Brewer walks back beheadings claim

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday walked back her claim that there have been beheadings in the Arizona desert.

(CNN) – After standing by her claim for more than two months that there have been beheadings in the Arizona desert as a result of rampant illegal immigration, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday walked back her controversial statement.

"That was an error, if I said that," Brewer told The Associated Press. "I misspoke, but you know, let me be clear, I am concerned about the border region because it continues to be reported in Mexico that there's a lot of violence going on and we don't want that going into Arizona."

Brewer first mentioned beheadings in June, when her state’s controversial new immigration law piqued the national interest. Four in ten Americans opposed the law that month, according to a CNN poll. Brewer cited violence–such as beheadings–near the border as grounds for signing such strict legislation.

Medical examiners from six of Arizona's counties, several of which boarder Mexico, later told the Arizona Guardian that they had never witnessed victims who had been beheaded.

Filed under: 2010 • Arizona • Immigration • issues • Jan Brewer
  1. ANDROLOMA

Fear for sale. Prices slashed for this one-time, perpetual event.

September 4, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  2. Jackson

Misspoke? How about lied? She uses fear, hate and lies to appeal to our worst fears. welcome to history's hall of shame

September 4, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. ronalde

to late,the lie is already out,n should find out what other lies she has told.

September 4, 2010 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. Jackson

Misspoke? How about lied? She uses fear, hate and lies to appeal to our worst instincts. welcome to history's hall of shame, Jan.

September 4, 2010 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  5. NVa Native

History and the truth doesn't matter to the followers of teabaggers/fox/repubs. In fact they love fantasy and the world of denial.
    So who do you guess she's trying to satisfy??

Why does she always look like she needs a cigerette and a glass of scotch?

September 4, 2010 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  6. UnCommon Sense

Way too little. Far too late!

September 4, 2010 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  7. Dem in AZ

She was clearly trying to stir up the right wing and scare people. Now she is changing her tone. good lord. I know most more then likely she will win the race. But I for one will be voting against her come Nov.

September 4, 2010 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  8. Guy Montag

Republicans these days tend to stick to a strategy of saying what ever they need to to inspire votes by spreading fear and misinformtaion into the general populus.

We better vote for Jan Brewer because her opponents won't be able to stop the Mexicans from coming into your town, stealing your jobs, pedling drugs to your kids, and then chopping off everyones heads.

Awsome

September 4, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  9. Sparky

"misspeaking" and "misremembering" seems to be normal among Republipukes

September 4, 2010 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  10. Bob Ramos

I hope Gov Brewer wins. America can use a female Charlie Chaplin.

September 4, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  11. Robert M. Smith, MD, PhD.

So we have another lying politician. What's new?

September 4, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  12. MrAmerica

But why couldn't she have said that on the night of the debate or after when everyone questioned her about it. She looked like a deer caught in the headlights and I'm sorry, but to just say nothing shakes my confidence in her. I'm very disappointed in her not because she had a rough moment but that it took her this long to say I misspoke.

September 4, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  13. mnunns

No she didn't. She lied and she knew she was lying. She figures if she says it enough and no one challenges, people will believe it is true. Conservatives are fear mongers, they always have been.

September 4, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. Caeser

"I misspoke" is the same as"I lied" these types of scare tatics should not be tolerated.

September 4, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  15. Brian Dodge

"...if I said that"? Gimme a break, Guv, – if you can't remember what you said( not surprising, given your debate performance), GO LOOK IT UP.

"I misspoke" – no ma'am, ""We have, uh, did what was right for Arizona," – now that's misspeaking.

And my favorite bit of newspeak, "walked back".
    How about 'Brewer almost retracts false statements about immigration' as a headline? With the lead in 'Apparently uncertain as to what she actually said, Gov Brewer gave a qualified "if I said that' tap dance around her previous claims of beheadings due to illegal immigration."

September 4, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  16. Davit

Isn't it about time the public did something to save this country from going further down the toilet, by demanding more than outright lies from the people we put in office to serve us?

September 4, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. mike

This is the typical GOP ploy: make up some scary story to boost their false ideas, let it stay out there, and then after the damage is done, semi retract it; that's what the GOP calls being honest. Just like the Koch brothers do.

September 4, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  18. JoeA

Way to put that out there on a Friday before a Holiday Weekend Governor – ensuring very few of your rabid base will see the retraction.

September 4, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Dave, CA

Obama, A man with no executive experience, who never worked in the business world in any capacity, who is a racial quota graduate from school says [he] knows how to fix America's complex economy which his administration destroyed

September 4, 2010 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  20. GaryOwen27

Just more McCarthyism by the Red Neck Right.

September 4, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  21. Edward

Is this double speak or have I lost my mind? Re:

("That was an error, if I said that," Brewer told The Associated Press.)

What does she mean IF she said that. It is recorded THAT she said it, and that is what the fuss is about, BECAUSE she said it. It is on record!

How can you say something and then say "If I said it." You either said it or you did not. No if's, and's or but's about it.

Why doesn't she just admit she said it to stir up emotions, and move on.

September 4, 2010 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. DocBlogger

It is ok to make mistake, but then it is about personal integrity to clear it up at first instance. Waiting for 2 months upon challenge... unacceptable!

September 4, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  23. Dean Blythe

Why is it so difficult for people to apologize or acknowledge an error? Whenever the word "if" is used the attemped apology or admission is totally undercut. As in "I'm sorry, IF anyone was offended." "That was wrong IF I said that." The point is people were offended and you were wrong. Either man up and say you are sorry or were wrong, or keep your trap shut.

September 4, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. harold

I think how Ms. Brewer got confused.. was she looked in the mirror and starting thinking how she could improve things she saw in the mirror...wrinkles et al.." ya know"..... and the idea came to her of beheading..?.. Am I on to something.. republicans about the Governor of Arizona where the sun scorches your skin?..

September 4, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  25. NC Ex-Pub

"That was an error, if I said that."

She said it twice; the last time with more detail.

If she has this kind of memory loss, she could only serve Arizona as governor. So, my guess is she will win in a landslide.

September 4, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |