September 6th, 2010

Obama pushes infrastructure spending to spur growth

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (CNN) - President Barack Obama unveiled on Monday a $50 billion plan to renew the country's transportation infrastructure, create jobs and spark economic growth.

His address is the first of two speeches the president plans to make this week in an attempt to frame his administration's response to the recession, less than two months ahead of midterm elections where Democratic majorities in the House and Senate are in jeopardy.

"Today, I am announcing a new plan for rebuilding and modernizing America's roads, and rails and runways for the long term," said Obama, who spoke on Labor Day in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - a state that has extremely competitive gubernatorial and U.S. Senate races. "I want America to have the best infrastructure in the world."

Full story

Filed under: Economy • President Obama
  1. Dale

Whether you support or oppose the Democrats efforts to fix up the economy, please let us not forget that it was Republican deregulation and unnecessary wars that got us here. My main reason for supporting Obama still stands– he is opposed to stupid wars. He is getting us out of the GWB wars as responsibly as possible while not starting any new ones. If we had been foolish enough to elect McCain, we would have invaded Iran, North Korea, and possibly Mexico and Cuba by now. Go ahead America, keep voting for the GOP and you can apologize to your kids when you visit their graves at Arlington.

September 6, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  2. Keith in Austin

What happened to your shovel-ready jobs promised from your ridiculous Stimulous Plan Erkel? Are you kidding me? Another 50 Billion?

This Bozo's solution to everything is SPEND SPEND SPEND. Get your big-government lunacy out of our lives and go on another vacation so Free Markets can flourish and prevail.
    Just wait and see how the Stock Market will soar on November 4th after America rids itelf of Liberal Democrats

September 6, 2010 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  3. D.

This is a play from FDR's book.
    I doubt it will work now that we need a modern economy and renewing jobs means not getting to the old construction workers, but modernize America and get jobs in the process. Getting to the late 30's to overcome the big depression worked, but this time when the deficit is an issue we need to be very careful not to sell the US to China (we will all be part of the Chinese communist area of influence if we keep on spending and spending). Someone, please check the deficit implication of this (someone who understands economics, not just campaigning!).

September 6, 2010 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  4. Tom

Infrastructure "investment" = myth. Spending money on such "infrastructure" is simply a phrase meaning that money should be spent on building the size and power of government, after first taking it by force, or the threat of force, from private individuals who created the wealth in the first place. Just another p.c. phrase for theft.

September 6, 2010 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. barry

This guy is amazing. He has given so much future hard earned (I say future because we borrowed it from China) tax payer money to Big Unions already. No more President Obama is in over his head. It is time for a change and I hope it comes in Nov.

September 6, 2010 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  6. AmandaInTN

Given that infrastructure investment as a means to stimulate the economy was one of his proposals during the campaign, I'm not sure what it's taken him so long. I guess it's better late than never, but he really needs to get moving on this!

September 6, 2010 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  7. GI Joe

400 economy bills passed by the house that the republican senate will Not even allow to be debated.

Vote the republicans out – they will bring this country down in order to get rid of a half-white PRESIDENT.

September 6, 2010 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  8. Precious

This is the reasons I couldn't vote in the 2008 election, too much racial divide, two much rhetoric, too much blame, and too much ignorance. As a citizen of the USA, I thank God for all the years before 2006, when I could get work easily, get overtime pay and get annual raises. But somewhere in between 2006 and now, things have changed. I can only speak for myself, because now in 2010 things have changed drastically. Whom do I blame? "No one". Why? because I am a survivor who doesn't wait for "change". The most powerful will always want to control, and the less powerful will allow them to control.

Yes, a car has many controls and signals, but it is up to each individual who gets in a car to know how to drive. Not everyone who shifts the gear in drive is a good driver. You can step on the gas pedal, move the car forward, but you must first know where you are going, otherwise, you will end up iin the wrong direction.

September 6, 2010 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  9. Tracy-Oakley

Our infrastructure is awful; engineers gave us a D. If we can create new jobs, move the economy forward, and get our infrastructure up to par, then I say go for it!!! We just finished spending 3 trillion dollars on an unnecessary war in Iraq, why not spend 50 billion to improve America & save middle class.

September 6, 2010 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  10. Henry Miller, Libertarian, Cary, NC

"President Barack Obama unveiled on Monday a $50 billion plan to renew the country's transportation infrastructure, create jobs and spark economic growth."

Wasn't that what the first $787 billion was for?

It didn't work then–what makes this idiot think it will work now?

September 6, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  11. nathan

The same 3 people post hate against Obama using different screen names all day here. They think we dont realize?

September 6, 2010 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  12. Proud member of Global Zero

The recovery act has saved jobs in every state in the union. I cannot believe that people here know so absolutely about restoring our economy with jobs.

The Bush Tax cuts do not create jobs. We still have them and the only jobs being created in the US are by this President.

Fired Up for Nov.

September 6, 2010 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  13. R. Yaeger

I was laid off work in may 2009 and have had tax problems, in short I owe taxes that I can not pay. I am a disabled laid off aircraft worker and have been struggling to make ends meet since being laid off work. I have been forced to return back to disability because I was unable to find a job. I am now being threatened with jail time and 10,000 fine. I do not understand how jail term and a fine that I obviously cant afford to pay could happen. Our president needs to help people like me in this situation, I am sure I am not the only 1 with this problem. We as a nation have spent so much money not on ourselves but on others. Lets help the people at home for a change, lets try solving our problems rather then solving the worlds problems. Do we need new highways over the need to help those at or below poverty level such as myself and others like me? I went from making 50k a year to making less then 15k whats wrong with this picture?

September 6, 2010 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. Jim Carroll

Why not ask Pastor Terry Jones to prove that there is a God before he burns the Quran? Why not? To prove his faith, let him not eat again until he proves there is a God.

September 6, 2010 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. skylark

Boycotting CNN as of today. The hatred spewed by the GOP and the followers of the so called right are so wrong. This is evil pure and simple. To sabotage our President for personal prejudice is to sabotage our country. No President can make laws. The congress and the senate make laws. The President is not a Dictator. He is not an Emperor or a King. He presides. That is his job. If the horrible remarks on these pages are truly from Christians then I was right when I abandoned the church. Shame on you all.
    "The love of money is at the root of all evil. Truer words never spoken.

September 6, 2010 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  16. Sue

Um............Just for the libbies that are posting here.

The Democrats took control of Congress in 2007.

Guess what the unemployment rate was BEFORE the Democrats took control of Congress in 2007---it was only 4.6%

Coincidence??? I think NOT.

And, if Obama cannot take the heat of criticism---then the boy king needs to resign.

September 6, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. Jim Carroll

Obama is a great President.Why doesn't the Devil Damn News media get off of his back?

September 6, 2010 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  18. American

I have not forgotten the policies that led us down this road. Wallstreet and big buisness have been screwing us over for years...... Enough..... Hold the line!!! We will not turn back!!!

September 6, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  19. Orlando Patriot

When will liberals learn that taking a $100 from the private sector and spending it on the public sector is simply a TRANSFER!! How does Obama think he KNOWS what is needed in the economy when he has NEVER had a job in the private sector!! This incompetent and arrogant president is KILLING this economy and you kool-aid drinkers are not smart enough to see the difference!! You liberals simply stand there with your hand out waiting for the next "government redistribution". Losers..........

September 6, 2010 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  20. usualone

Interesting when you don't run my items when I give specific examples. If I am vague you run the items. For example, I mentioned that certain highways in PA are showing the results of the past Infrastructure stimulus package. That was a start for the innumerable highways across the country that need fixing. You do run the most ugly comments made about the President. No matter how bad the comments were about President Bush, they didn't hold a candle for what is said about this President. This behavior of fellow Americans is sickening and saddening. I bet they wouldn't talk to him like this in person. It is easy to show one's hatred behind the anonymousness of the Internet. The "Ugly American" has finally arrived.

September 6, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  21. u2canfail

Our infrastructure is crumbling. All major dams and bridges are old, past their expected lifetime. That does not take into consideration the thousands of smaller ones. Spending money here makes absolute sense.

September 6, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  22. Jim Carroll

Where does the News Media line up every day to get the questions for the day? Isn't it like the gas stations that go on the computer to find out what the price of gas is going to be tomorrow? The word is out –all news media bash the President, bash the democrats, praise the tea party and praise the republicans.

September 6, 2010 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  23. Mike Brooks

Note, in Oregon we had a similar "stimulus" package. The *average* job lasted less than one week and cost more than $1500 an hour! Would you really trust the cooks and scoundrels in Washington to so ANYTHING n the best interests of voters or the country. I stopped believing in that when Obama invited those hi-tech executives to the White House and told them he was going to allow for even more H1-B guest worker visas even though more than 5 million US hi-tech workers were unemployed.

September 6, 2010 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  24. Rich

Every objective economic indicator performs better under Democratic presidents than under Republican presidents. EVERY ONE. GDP growth, stock returns, job creation, budget deficits, and on and on.

Republicans are just bad for the economy.

September 6, 2010 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  25. Sally

This high speed rail plan has been needed for 50 years...we are SO far behind Europe in letting our citizens get from place to place without their gas guzzlers.Infrastructure jobs pay well, do good for the country, and can help all the states, not just the ones with the loudest lobbyists or the most
    favors to call in (that would be you, Alaska.) Tax cuts do not create jobs! They sound good for the opposition party to run on, but they help only the rich, and if anyone was paying attention, Bush LOST jobs after the tax cuts, which he agreed to let expire, knowing that would be a huge headache for the next President. I hope Obama sticks to his principles and lets them go.

September 6, 2010 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |