September 6th, 2010

Obama: They talk about me like a dog

(CNN) – Those following President Obama's prepared remarks during a speech in Milwaukee, Wisconsin Monday were thrown a bit of a curveball when it came to a description of his critics:

"Some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time and they're not always happy with me. They talk about me like a dog. That's not in my prepared remarks, but it's true," he told a crowd largely consisting of union members.

Related: Obama pushes infrastructure spending to spur growth

The line was a rare departure from a president who normally sticks close to the text of his speech and may forecast a more aggressive tone on the part of Obama as the midterms approach.

The address is the first of two speeches this week in which Obama will try and frame his administration's response to the recession, less than two months ahead of midterm elections where Democratic majorities in the House and Senate are on the ropes.

RelatedReaction to Obama's Labor Day speech

Filed under: President Obama
  1. johnrj08

Many comments on this page are deeply disturbing. This president has been object of unprecedented scorn and vitriol since the day he was elected. Members of Congress have made it their mission to destroy his presidency and bring him to his "Waterloo". Nothing that Obama tries to do will win the support of these people, who are motivated by the darkest factors in our society today. One of the brightest and hardest working presidents we've had in the last 70 years, people here are saying that Obama is a dog and an "idiot". These are people who get all of their information from FOX News and Rush Limbaugh. Their minds have clamped shut like clinched fists holding onto their hatred. No amount of facts will change their mind. All I can say is that I hope Obama succeeds and that these zombie losers don't win the day in November. It will be catastrophic for the country if that happens.

September 6, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  2. Shish

I just realized he cannot be a dog...He has no papers.

September 6, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  3. Midwest

Here is a quick rundown of the "Re-hashed Campaign Drivel" for all the public school graduates (taught by union teachers, cause we all union employees are the brightest and the most energetic)

Don't blame me!

They started it!

They overspent too!

I'm just a man with a dream! (and your checkbook)

Ok, Ok, I'll spend less next term.

(I'll refinance just this once, then I promise I'll get better spending habits)

Stick with me "boys" and I'll make you Stewards of Stimulus Dollars! Its the road to the promise land, paved in debt for generations to come.

Big Banks, Big Corporate CEO's, Big Insurance, Big Oil, Big Unions, etc.... Big Damn Deal

Same speech just a different suit

September 6, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Jerry

Did Bush ever feel compelled to make such a statement? Clinton? Nixon? I don't think so. That obama has to use such words (in unprepared remarks) shows what an incompetent he is.
    Further proof that this guy is nothing but an affirmative action beneficiary at Occidental, Columbia and Harvard. What did he write as editor of the Harvard law journal? He's a fraud. And all the big money corrupters – soros, buffet, gates etc are on his side.

September 6, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. John N.C.

Obama is in over his head. What would you expect of someone whose experience is a community organizer on the south side of Chicago?

September 6, 2010 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  6. damian

I am sorry for comment about putting lipstick on a dog

I regret having made a mean spirited remark even if to make a point

I will try to stay respectfull please accept my apollogy

September 6, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. Bryan

to all you liberals and dumbocrats, can I have a sniff and go to the land of make believe that your in? the man is an incompetant idiot, and especially the fools in congress and you act like there is good coming from these policies of fools, sniff sniff away.

September 6, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. Ha ha ha

I have to laugh at the posters who say that the Republicans are spreading viscious lies?? What a freaking joke, what did YOU do the last 8 years, you, the MSM, the Dem's????
    Pay backs a *itch, starts with a b!!!

September 6, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. Maire

Hey! Don't insult my dog!

September 6, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  10. Larona

What president talks this way?? He is beyond petulant. His hissy fit behavior reminds me of a spoiled 12 year old girl.

September 6, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  11. dada dum

Bow wow. It speaks for itself.

September 6, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. JudyM

I love dogs, Mr. President. Please do not insult them by comparing yourself to them.

September 6, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  13. azfirepe

The dog needs to be harnessed someone said, Hell, the dog needs to be neutered!!!.

September 6, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  14. Das-bishop

This dog needs to curb his spending.

September 6, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  15. Liberals are poison

Well Barry, if you lay with the dogs you'll get fleas. Yes, you are a dog.
    You've dogged the economy. You've dogged everyone who doesn't
    agree with your socialist policies. You've dogged our allies. You've bedded with our enemies. You are worse than a dog.

September 6, 2010 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  16. Fred

It's amazing that people still think that blind support of a political party is the way to go, what a bunch of sheep. Republicans and Democrats are putting on a show just like professional wrestling. They keep the voters distracted and fighting while behind the scenes they rob us blind, by the time it comes out the responsible person is rich with our money and long gone.

The Germans did the party first thing in the 30's & 40's, remember how that worked out??

Politics, the only job where experience is a bad thing!

How can you tell if a politician is lying? They're breathing!
    How can you tell if they're telling the truth? No pulse!

No political party affiliation!

September 6, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  17. Dunce Biden

Obama, we hate your guts. You're a non-stop vacationing, golfing, muslim-favoring, illegal-loving, job-killing, big spending, socialist moron.

I'd rather have a dog as President than you as a dog would do a much better job.

You are the worst President ever and make me long for the good ol' days of Jimmy Carter.

See you in November, LOSER!

September 6, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  18. Al Einstein

My my, aren't we the overly sensitive president. It was OK, even encouraged to denigrate Bush43 like he was a dog but say anything negative about Obama and its hand wringing time. This president has lost it, assuming he ever had it, the demos are in the dumper and the flush handle is being pulled. As bad as the repubs are it has been proven yet again that the demos are trash, pure trash who couldn't lead their way out of a paper bag. Need a clean sweep in November and in November 2010, time to kick out the Whiner in Chief and turn the countyry around. The demos are destroying the USA and they don't even care! DEMOSBEGONE2010. NOBAMA2012.

September 6, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  19. Veteran1941

Mr President your not Listening to the American Voters ! Your Deaf
    to what they want you to do. You don't care neither so your going to be
    treated like a DOG !!!!!!

September 6, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  20. Mainer

There are some real mutts out there in dog land, but I would not compare the President to any of them. I think that is very disrespectful to the President. However, I am very impatient to see Obama be a former President. I hope the land of the free and the home of the brave can survive that long. Is is pretty pathetic to have a President who makes Jimmy Carter look good.

September 6, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  21. matt

Just leave the poor little president alone!

September 6, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. Discernment

A LITTLE LATE MR. PRESIDENT

(1.) – You should have backed Democratic Leaders Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid when they sought to dump Sen. Joe Lieberman and take his chairmanship for personally attacking your character during the 2008 Presidential campaign.

(2.) – You should have backed former President Carter instead of throwing him under the bus when Carter correctly called out the Tea Party racist for using the N-word to reference you.

(3.) – You should have attacked Sarah Palin when she effectively called you a terrorist by falsely claiming you "pal around with terrorist".

September 6, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  23. GinBR

TommyJohn September 6th, 2010 4:17 pm ET

Really? You don't know where he gets that? Are you blind, deaf, stupid or all of the above? Saying it ain't so does not make it fantasy. Don't be a fool all of your life.

September 6, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Both reberto of maine and IAN certainly appear to be on the wrong side of this curve ball according to the rest of these commentors. Having worked in the mid east one quickly learns the hatred between most Iranis and 'Jube" dogs is unbelieable. The fast amount to sick beaten kenine relics there live hidden in the gutters called Jubes. In one fenced in compond of expates we rescured one from the jubes and we could come and go, known or unkown expates right by our favorite jube dog with a pat on the head, but let one Irani approach it went APE. The local authorities later demanded we get rid of our friendly all knowing guard dog ! Wish we could swap it for our present Disaster of a President !

September 6, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  25. Christian

Obama is such a cry baby. If he got HALF of what Bush got he'd probably have a nervous breakdown. It is probably coming any day now...

September 6, 2010 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |