September 6th, 2010

Obama: They talk about me like a dog

(CNN) – Those following President Obama's prepared remarks during a speech in Milwaukee, Wisconsin Monday were thrown a bit of a curveball when it came to a description of his critics:

"Some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time and they're not always happy with me. They talk about me like a dog. That's not in my prepared remarks, but it's true," he told a crowd largely consisting of union members.

Related: Obama pushes infrastructure spending to spur growth

The line was a rare departure from a president who normally sticks close to the text of his speech and may forecast a more aggressive tone on the part of Obama as the midterms approach.

The address is the first of two speeches this week in which Obama will try and frame his administration's response to the recession, less than two months ahead of midterm elections where Democratic majorities in the House and Senate are on the ropes.

RelatedReaction to Obama's Labor Day speech

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Jackson Cruz

Thats very unfair to dogs. but we definately do talk about you like a Muslim. You Punk!

September 6, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  2. Cuttimer

If he thinks the politicians are talking about him like a dog he should hear what the average American has to say about him.

September 6, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  3. End the insanity!

I can't believe he talked bad about dogs like this. Comparing himself to a dog is unfair to our furry friends.

September 6, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  4. lukuj

I have never seen or heard a president who is more of a whiner than Obama. Bush faced much more criticism like a man, not a thin-skinned baby. As far as being treated like a dog, dogs deserve better treatment. They don't apologize for their owners like Obama is constantly apologizing for his country. Dogs try to do what their owners want. Obama doesn't seem to care what the majority of the people of the country need and want. It is all about what HE needs and wants. Dogs don't spend as much of their time on vacation. They spend their time doing their doggie duty. Dogs don't blame everything ineffective they do on the dog that came before them or on the other dogs.

September 6, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  5. bahmi

Eat your kibbles and be quiet. This man is beyond buffoon status. He never learns, always tries to exploit polarities in gaining his way. Well, we are on to you, Impostor.

September 6, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. restorationary

I dont talk as poorly about dogs as I do about this president...mostly because the dogs I know arent socialists.

September 6, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  7. chris

At first, we thought he's just a Statist who views America as a flawed nation. Now we know that he's a gutless worm, as well! See you in November, president loser!

September 6, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  8. works for me

If President Obama fails at what he's desperately trying to achieve with all the head winds he has... then we all do.
    I'm tired of the GOPuppets just saying NO and offering no ideas whatsoever. Those who all claim they have a plan, and won't say what it is, don't really have one, now do they.

They're really horrified to think that an ELECTED black man, and given the support he should have, drag this country out of the tail spin it was in before he was elected. Wanting him to fail is BS, plain and simple. I know in my heart that if the tables were reversed, Mr Obama would be doing whatever it is he could to help. I also believe that if McCain were President, especially with Palin in the WH, I'd be out of the country by now. Kind of a shameful think to think from a volunteer enlisted man during the Viet Nam war, huh? If we don't get our heads out of our no-nos and work together we're all doomed.

Hopefully come this November many of the voting Americans will have realized that they need to be well educated about the vote they are about to give and not vote with the lies, fears and prejudiced rhetoric they presently have before them!

September 6, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  9. zekeman

Well, if the shoe fits, wear it.

September 6, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. Anonymous

if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

September 6, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  11. pat

Is he finally gonna let 'em have it – right in the teeth? I'll have to see more of it to believe it. Pleez, pleez, pleez show some fight, Mr. President.

September 6, 2010 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  12. Wake up American, Mr. Obama is on the right track

Is about time the President start standing up strongly for himself. He was not Angry as you stated. But he was just telling the truth. The right wing media and the Republicans has raged dishonest and hateful war against this man. He is trying to fix the country. It will take time and any fool knows that you must spent money to make money. How else can it be done. Good onthe President. He will continue to fight hard for Us.
    But please people don't put these Republican back into office this November. It will be a HUGE mistake. They will just Stall the wee bit of progress make so far and take us back into a Depression. Mark my Words.

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  13. Mark

Whose they? The media that stepped on Hillary to put you in the White House?

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Tech Albritton

This is outrageous if these "powerful interests" are talking like our President charges, talking about him "like a dog." This is a gross insult to dogs everywhere.

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  15. RC

Well gee.. You know the old saying... If it walk like a duck and quacks like a duck. Must be a duck.
    In this case insert DOG

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  16. Honest John

Huh? I never heard anyone attribute to a dog the things Obama has done to our country. Dogs are much nicer people – no arrogance or hatred for humans. Son please leave dogs out of this!

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  17. Walter

'Cause you are a dog. A Muslim dog. A commie Muslim dog. Who was born in Kenya. Trying to destroy the U.S. That's why.

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. valinva

Mr. President, now we know the low esteem in which you hold dogs.

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. Jim W

Oh, poor me! I'm a victim now.

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. Richard Fontaine

So much for those that said every word Obama utters is scripted. I guess not. He can be thin skinned spontaneously. How encouraging.

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. Petey

Sorry but I have to much respect for me dog to compare him to B Hussien O.

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  22. Alan S.

Time for Obama to get a thicker skin? Seems to be cracking up a bit. :-)

September 6, 2010 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  23. walter hayward

I own a small Mfg. business,(15 employeees) and I was just watching cnn and felt compelled to comment.I am afraid to hire any new employees even though I could use a few more because I am uncertain of the health care plan and where the economy is going.It does not help that I am located in Ct. which is not very business friendly and with the local,state and gov. taxes it is killing any prospects of new hires.I have no idea if I will have any orders to fill in six months and to lay someone off that will collect unemployment off of me for over two years stifles any desire I have to seek out new employees.If and when the republicans regain control and stop the out of control spending and I can survive that long then it might ease my mind enough to start to have faith in new hires helping and not hurting my company's chances of staying in business.

September 6, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. doris

Hooray for President Obama!! I like it when he gets a little fiesty. I think he is doing a fine job and he is digging us out of the hole the republicans got us into. Thanks President Obama.

September 6, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  25. Stymie

I was embarrassed for the President today. His rant was a disgrace.

September 6, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |