September 6th, 2010

Obama: They talk about me like a dog

(CNN) – Those following President Obama's prepared remarks during a speech in Milwaukee, Wisconsin Monday were thrown a bit of a curveball when it came to a description of his critics:

"Some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time and they're not always happy with me. They talk about me like a dog. That's not in my prepared remarks, but it's true," he told a crowd largely consisting of union members.

Related: Obama pushes infrastructure spending to spur growth

The line was a rare departure from a president who normally sticks close to the text of his speech and may forecast a more aggressive tone on the part of Obama as the midterms approach.

The address is the first of two speeches this week in which Obama will try and frame his administration's response to the recession, less than two months ahead of midterm elections where Democratic majorities in the House and Senate are on the ropes.

RelatedReaction to Obama's Labor Day speech

Filed under: President Obama
  1. William R. Smith

Well, if the shoe fits......

September 6, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  2. OhHowSad

If the euphemism fits. We'll just refer to you as Ol' RED! You know, red, like a Communist.

September 6, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Maxwell

How dare he insult dogs, they talk about him like an "Obama".

The man that made Jimmy Carter very happy!

September 6, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. DENNA

Good for him! Only in America can a man who has educated himself, played by the rules and succeeded, can be talked about with such disrespect. The low class conservative entertainers and their minions, the Tea Party, have brought down the tone of civility in this country and it is disgusting. It wouldn't be so bad if the Rethugs actually had a plan in place for when they take over. But thyr don't and not one of their supporters has bothered to ask them how would they improve things.

September 6, 2010 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. Norm

Even the press gave GW the respect of putting the word "president " before his name. Now they just all call him Obama.
    I think it's a pretty disrespectful thing to do.

September 6, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  6. IOpian

Would that be a pit bull or a poodle?

September 6, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. Tazz

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh........So sick of this man child cry baby!

September 6, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. Greg Buls

Obama is baiting us. He says odd things in hopes that one of his opponents will crack, and come right out and say that Obama hates this country and all of its productive citizens. It's the unspoken thought in the minds of millions, and Obama wants it out in the open.

September 6, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  9. ray cahill

Why shouldn't they?

September 6, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  10. RightStuff

Barack Obama is a loon. He has lowered the office of the president of the United States about as low as it can go.

"Let his days be few; and let another take his office." Psalms 109:8

September 6, 2010 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. David A. Perryman

On top of his incompetence we seem to have a leader who is a whiner. Too much government drove the economy into the pits and too much government intervention is not going to drive it back out.

September 6, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  12. Steve

My Dear Mr. President...

Of course they talk about you like a dog. You let them... They really have nothing to offer. They've let themselves be taken over by a bunch of clueless, mindless drones, who just spread bs... You're not facing an opposition who's trying to do what's right for the country in a different way. You're facing a mob, some of which can't stand to be out of power and some of which can't stand the thought of a black leader, and they're feeding off each other. They made it quite obvious that their strategy was to oppose EVERYTHING you said or did from the get go. It NOT about policy. You could feed them back their own ideas (and have) and they would be against it becasue it came from you. My question to you is- Why are you the least bit surprised?

September 6, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  13. dave

Feeling a bit insecure about being Mutt?
    Remember Bill Murray's rally speech in Stripes.

September 6, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  14. Indiana

Mr. Obama is not nearly as vilified by the Republicans as George W. Bush was by the dems, and we were all pretty sure President Bush actually LOVED this country. I think a lot of us have doubts as to the president's ability to do the job he was elected to do, and also to his love for this country. He's the first president I've ever actually questioned in this regard. He just doesn't seem like he likes who we are very much.

September 6, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  15. Walter

Ruff! Ruff! Ruff! Bow-wow-wow yippee oh yippee ay!

Who let the dogs out? (Michelle!)
    Who let the dogs out? (Michelle!)

Fetch! Go get the stick! Go get it, Barack! Go get it!

Good boy! Good boy! Who wants a belly rub?

September 6, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. tytel

that is an insult to dogs.

September 6, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Roberto in Maine

Give them hell Mr. President... they are the racist dogs.

September 6, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. A Former Democratic Army Veteran

I wouldn't sink so low as to compare you with my dog. Nor would I speak to him in such a manner. If you want respect you first must earn it. So far your career has earned you nothing but ridicule justifically so. REV. WRIGT, MUSLIM, PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP, INSULT TO YOUR NATION's CHRISTIANS, FLAG AND VETERANS. Need I say more. SHUT YOUR TRAP AND DO SOMETHING TO SHOW AMERICANS YOU'RE NOT OUT TO DO THEM IN. START WITH THE BORDER AND SECURE IT. HELP PEOPLE LIKE BREWER INSTEAD ON CONDEMNING HER. YOU ARE SICK AND ONE MORE SORRY PRESIDENT.

September 6, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  19. Paul

Wow...this guy is pathetic.

I guess if he blames republicans enough it will somehow become truth. The Democrats controlled both houses since 2006 elections. My civics teacher (probably a liberal) told me that congress controls spending–makes war-What am I missing?

Again, he is pathetic and I'm not sure he realizes but he realizes that this BS doesn't sell anymore...his rose garden address not too long ago was unbelievable–even to him–you could tell

September 6, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  20. Midwest

"Some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time...... he told a crowd largely consisting of union members.

Stick with me "boys" and I'll make you Union Stewards of Stimulus Dollars! Its the road to the promise land, paved in debt for generations to come.

Don't blame me! They started it! They overspent too! I'm just a man with a dream and your checkbook. Ok Ok I'll spend less next term.

(I'll refinance just this once, then I promise I'll get better spending habits)

Big Banks, Big Corporate CEO's, Big Insurance, Big Oil, Big Unions, etc.... Big Damn Deal

Same speech just a different suit

September 6, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  21. mike

if the shoe fits

September 6, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  22. Amartin

??What?? I think the President is way in over his head and out of his league. His "dog" comment is an indication that he has lost all of the magic that got him elected along with the verbal elegance. It is hard to take him serious.

September 6, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  23. Marie/Phoenix AZ

Well, if the shoe fits . . . sear it!

Hope it doesnt pinch too bad! On second thought, I hope it
    pinches like hell!

September 6, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. Don

The republican commentators are framing Obama's remarks as divisive politics. Frankly, I don't care. The republicans have engaged in divisive politics at the expense of our country for years. It is time for democrats to take control of the message and stop worrying about alienating republicans that don't play across the aisle anyway.

September 6, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. Flyoverstate

Muslims don't like dogs, so Obama's remarks are pretty strong...

September 6, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |