September 6th, 2010

Obama: They talk about me like a dog

(CNN) – Those following President Obama's prepared remarks during a speech in Milwaukee, Wisconsin Monday were thrown a bit of a curveball when it came to a description of his critics:

"Some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time and they're not always happy with me. They talk about me like a dog. That's not in my prepared remarks, but it's true," he told a crowd largely consisting of union members.

Related: Obama pushes infrastructure spending to spur growth

The line was a rare departure from a president who normally sticks close to the text of his speech and may forecast a more aggressive tone on the part of Obama as the midterms approach.

The address is the first of two speeches this week in which Obama will try and frame his administration's response to the recession, less than two months ahead of midterm elections where Democratic majorities in the House and Senate are on the ropes.

RelatedReaction to Obama's Labor Day speech

Filed under: President Obama
  1. all the news that's fit too omit

Woof, woof you gutless, clueless and classless fraud of a "president".

Palin has no business being near the WH, even that being said, YOU were not even half as uh, uh, uh, uh, uh qualified as her.

More spending Barry, is that all you got, paybacks to the unions, ya, the other 250 BILLION worked out so well......

A one trick dog here, but WE are barking back.

See you in November.

September 6, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. AlamoMike

That's not true, Barry! We actually like and respect dogs!

September 6, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. Demobust

"They talk about me like a dog." Megalomaniac, paranoiac rant of equal import to those worldly dictators of past and present. This man needs to be carefully watched and his admiistration effectiveness neutralized with the coming November elections.

September 6, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. texasmike

Ahh, CNN starts the mainstream media's "Angry Obama" meme. Now we'll be getting all the "he's frustrated" and "dejected" and "depressed" news headlines.

Hey, CNN...how about just reporting that President Obama made a speech without doctoring it up to get clicks?

September 6, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. SacredRoach

The man desires respect.

But respect must be earned.

Like a little boy, he cries "wolf" to anyone who listens.

But CNN, by even printing this, has shown that they too are tired of listening...

September 6, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. American Citizen

Who are the "powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time" that the democrat party is not in charge of? History tells us that democrats have a stranglehold on every agency and department for many, many decades. So who are the "they" of whom he speaks?
    President Obama has insulted me, a Citizen that has spoken up against his policies, every time he speaks. If he treated his dog, Bo, as he has done me and my fellow Americans, it should be no surprise to anyone when he gets snapped at.
    He speaks of my nation as a dog, so what is his point? Sympathy?

September 6, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. RUKidding

"Some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time and they're not always happy with me. "

That doesn't even make sense. I guess that's why he should stick to his teleprompter.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the White House.

September 6, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. Janice Ondo

A dog cannot wreck our economy. It not always all about YOU.

September 6, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Donna

Who could blame him...he gets knocked around no matter what he says or does.

September 6, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. Midwest

Don't blame me!

They started it!

They overspent too!

I'm just a man with a dream and your checkbook.

Ok, Ok, I'll spend less next term.

(I'll refinance just this once, then I promise I'll get better spending habits)

"Some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time...... he told a crowd largely consisting of union members.

Stick with me "boys" and I'll make you Union Stewards of Stimulus Dollars! Its the road to the promise land, paved in debt for generations to come.

Big Banks, Big Corporate CEO's, Big Insurance, Big Oil, Big Unions, etc.... Big Damn Deal

Same speech just a different suit

September 6, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. Mark

I like my dogs, I would not demean them by referring to Pres BH Obama as a dog. Arabs do use the term "dog" when trying to talk bad about someone.

September 6, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  12. Peter Courtenay Stephens

But you are a dog, Obama!

September 6, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  13. Tard

Well, see, for 8 long years we endured our president being trashed, every single day, by the liberal media. Endlessly, relentlessly.

Now, oh poor baby Barry, How Does It Feel?

P.S. Worst president in 100 years.

September 6, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  14. happenings

Time to show this type of passion on the campaign trail! I love it.

Please talk about all of the good things your administration is doing for our country and FIGHT BACK against the critics. This is when you started gaining traction in the presidential campaign – when you stopped letting everyone else define you, and instead defined yourself.

This is why Hillary lost, and why McCain lost – people like you and want you to succeed. Don't let the negative nay-sayers in the GOP turn you into some kind of monster. I'm so tired of hearing it.

GO GET 'EM, MR. PRESIDENT!!!

September 6, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  15. Chad from Tampa

This guy is not presidential, very "Bush" league.

September 6, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  16. james d

"Like a dog"? Thats an insult to dogs everywhere. He was preaching to the chior. The rest of us non-union people know his tricks and like an old, worn out magic trickster, nobody is paying to see him anymore.

September 6, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  17. thewayIseeit

and the fleas are spreading....

September 6, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  18. sandiego1969

If you want a friend in Washington, DC, get a dog. Mr Obama wants to be every one's friend so he sits when he is tole to, goes out when he is told to, begs when he is told to and ever rolls over yes when he is told to. And all by the unions with kibble in their pockets. So Hail to the Schnauser!

September 6, 2010 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  19. Codepwned

I'd rather have a dog as a president than two loons any day.

September 6, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. Tariq Aziz

Mr. President:

With all due respect, stop complaining and get to work!

All you do is talk, talk, talk....we're sick of it!

Try to do something that actually improves the economy!

The American People

September 6, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. Hugh Man

I think referring to Mr. Hussein-Obama as a dog is fitting since his presidency has been ARFul.

September 6, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  22. Sam Levine

Wow!!!
    Will say Anything to help dem win in 2010, but its over, americans got to know what obama change is all about.
    Nice Try

September 6, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  23. Steve

Like a dog? Dogs are noble, intelligent and dedicated – Obama's no dog!

September 6, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  24. NYCinTexas

Go President Obama! I voted for you and still believe in you. I'm happy you are finally speaking out about the very ones who got us in this situation to begin with.

September 6, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. Jam

My dog resents that remark...he knows he's a cut above BHO

September 6, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |