September 6th, 2010

Ready, set, go! Campaign season under way

(CNN) - And they're off! Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer and the beginning of the campaign season.

With less than two months until Election Day, candidates are packing their schedules with campaign events designed to convince voters that they're the best ones for the job.

All 435 seats in the House of Representatives are on the line this fall, and 37 of the 100 Senate seats are up for grabs.

Capitol Hill is guaranteed to see some fresh faces, with dozens of lawmakers retiring or seeking other office, and a handful - including Democratic Sen. Arlen Specter, Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski, Democratic Rep. Alan Mollohan and Republican Rep. Bob Inglis - coming up short in their renomination bids.

Full story

Filed under: 2010
  1. diridi

GOP thugs messed this nation like a "Hell". so, do vote for any Democrat even though it is a dog...period....GOP thugs looted this nation like a hell...true, true, true, and nothing but true....true American....

September 6, 2010 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  2. Annie, Atlanta

And here come the attack ads on behalf of republicans, paid by the persons who used to be corporations, in order to keep the money, aid, tax free status, etc. coming their way. Oh yeah. Love the smell of greed on the Fall air.

September 6, 2010 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  3. Blind partisan ideologue

Still amazed that even with Dems in complete control, some still blame the GOP.

September 6, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. D.

Campaign season!? The president has been campaigning for four years now!

September 6, 2010 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. jim

I just watched a speech that Obama was giving to a labor group in Wisconsin.This guy lies about everything. For instance.He was talking about how the new healthcare was making it easier for people with preexisting conditions to get insurance. That is untrue. Insurance can no longer deny you coverage but they can charge you whatever they want to. They simply price you out of the market.That happened to me recently when i tried to get coverage on my own through Anthem when i had used up my cobra coverage. They put me in an increased level with premiums i couldn't afford and let me decide on my own to drop coverage.

September 6, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. T'SAH from Virginia

The RepubliCAN'Ts were campaigning for the last two years and getting free press from CNN and others!

September 6, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. Wake up American, Mr. Obama is on the right track

For American to stand as a Super Nation in the World, we MUST
    re-build and improve, The Infrustrute, Schools and Healthcare. The President is sooooooooooo right. For 8 years the Repubs let all thee priorites Run Down. It will cost money, How on earth can anything be done without money. The Republican spent Trillians of dollars on a unnecessary war and they have the nerve to talk about leaving deaths for our children. LOL>.. now Obama must spent money to bring the economy back and they are making up a lot of Dust. America we must live and learn. Think, Think... The Preident i on the right track. It will take time and money to bring us back.

September 6, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  8. carlos

POLITICAL SUICIDE if you vote for a talipublican and then PRAY because your tomorrow is not and will not be guaranteed......seniors, women, children, vets, and the MIDDLE CLASS will be reduced to NOTHING

September 6, 2010 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. Elle

Bring it on, baby! I love campaign season.

September 6, 2010 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. Republicans gone wild!!

Fear not Democrats, common sense will prevail over lies/anger and you will win. The American people are not dumb, just distracted for now.

September 6, 2010 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  11. Hinsley

I believe if Obama, as president does not know what is really happening in this Government, he has not learned anything. But I believe he is right, big businesses and top CEO's and bosses, banks, wall street, all those and others, have created the problems we are in now. They paid low taxes, had tax loopholes, send our jobs over seas, and made disgusting amounts of money, that they probably would take 3 generations to spend. Not only that, they sent millions of dollars to switzerland to avoid paying taxes here. The GOP, is only thinking about keeping their money lining their pockets, and not paying taxes.

Capitalism works, if it also helps the common workers, Since these tax breaks, our wages have gone down, our mothers had to go to work to supplement our budgets. While those rich got richer, and our middleclass began to fade. The GOP, do not have a plan, I would not vote for Rep. we used too but, now I can see where their spirit is in, it is in their own pockets, and egos. My family and I will vote Dem, in Nov. and 2012, Obama, will win, because the Republicans have nothing. Ron Paul is the only one that makes more sense than anyone else, and that is not saying much.

September 6, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  12. DENNA

I think that it is time for the press to insist that the Rethugs tell the public exactly what they plan to do if they regain power. After all, they will actually have to come up with viable ideas. Blaming the Democrats won't work. They don't have any ideas, just a deep seated dislike for all things Democratic. Well guys, that isn't an idea.

September 6, 2010 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  13. Eddie

He is so not presidential......... Support the unions and people like Andy Stern. Give them our money so they can spend it on anything but the pensions.

I seem to recall that the democrats took control in 2006 when are they held accountable?

September 6, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. LacrosseMom(the real one)

What I can not understand is HOW ANYONE would give the GOP POWER back?????????? Are people nuts?

The GOP machine has been using their same old tactics, the same old tired strategy: hate, lies, fear and division.

WHO ELSE DO YOU BLAME FOR THE ECONOMY OBAMA INHERITED?

In eight years in Office, George W. Bush created a grand total of ONE million jobs.

In the eight years of Bush being president the POVERTY RATE IN THE U.S. ROSE .......8%.

Republicans CONTROLLED Congress from January 1995 through January 2007, when the Democrats took a narrow majority!

WHOSE TO BLAME FOR THE BUSH DISASTER= REPUBLICANS!

September 6, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  15. Hinsley

YESSSS, the Republicans are out for themselves, ie. Hannity, Beck, Limbough, Orielly, and all those rich bags, do not want to pay taxes. That is the reason they are so against Obama, because Obama, wants the rich to pay their fare share. Taxes has been places on the backs of the middle class for years., Now we no longer have a middle class. Just read that, Luxury items are being sold at a higher rate, now I wonder who is buying these luxury items?

They continue to use the small business need tax breaks, yes they probably do but not those greedy businessmen and wall street pigs that make tons of money and don't want too or intend to lose it. Yet the middleclass can bankrupt themselves, lose their jobs, and homes. They are loosing their American dreams. But rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

September 6, 2010 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  16. Midwest

Here is a quick rundown of the "Campaign Drivel" for all the public school graduates (taught by union teachers, cause we all know union employees are the brightest and the most energetic)

Don't blame me!

They started it!

They overspent too!

I'm just a man with a dream! (and your checkbook)

Ok, Ok, I'll spend less next term.

(I'll refinance just this once, then I promise I'll get better spending habits)

Stick with me "boys" and I'll make you Stewards of Stimulus Dollars! Its the road to the promise land, paved in debt for generations to come.

Big Banks, Big Corporate CEO's, Big Insurance, Big Oil, Big Unions, etc.... Big Damn Deal

Same speech just a different suit

September 6, 2010 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |