September 8th, 2010

Clinton slams Florida pastor for 'disgraceful' plans

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Wednesday slammed a Florida pastor for his ‘disgraceful’ plan to burn the Quran on the anniversary of 9/11.

Washington (CNN) – Secretary of State Hillary Clinton used a foreign policy talk to weigh in on hot button political issues Wednesday, slamming a Florida pastor for his "disgraceful" plan to burn the Quran and strongly criticizing George W. Bush's fiscal record.

Clinton warned about the long-term consequences of rising federal budget deficits, arguing that they will eventually diminish U.S. power and impair America's ability to act effectively in the global arena.

Her remarks came during an appearance before the non-partisan Council on Foreign Relations.

Clinton noted that Terry Jones, the Florida pastor, is the head of a small congregation, and said she wished his plans to burn the Quran on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks hadn't attracted so much media attention. But sadly, "that's the world we live in right now," she said.

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. GI Joe

Those religious right-wing nutjobs think ONLY of themselves. GOD does not "speak" to anyone. GOD does not advocate hate and fear and prejudice.

See how stupid the wing-nuts look?

September 8, 2010 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  2. jay

This guy calls himself a Preacher.

September 8, 2010 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  3. Gerry NH

Maybe they should not be burning our flag.

September 8, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  4. SuperD

Let them burn the Koran if they want to. It's about time somone called their bluff.

I'm not an infidel, but they think I am. So any chance to poke back at these cowards is ok by me. I'm tired of being "scared" of them or dear me, "offending" a Muslim.

Just like the mosque at ground Zero, it's time for a bit of Muslim "tolerance"

It stinks, the tolerance works both ways!

September 8, 2010 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  5. socalgal

P.S. While I would wish that no one had plans to burn any Quran, It IS a right of free speech – just as when the American flag is trampled and burned in other nations.

September 8, 2010 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  6. Carol

Hillary Clinton is right on! There is way too much hate and passing judgment on others in religion these days.

September 8, 2010 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  7. barry

This is a Country that allows free speech. Just like the Muslims have the right to build the Mosque to rub salt in our wounds these people have the right to burn pieces of paper. Stop letting Muslims have it both ways. Go back where you came from if you don't like it. It's not Racism, Bigotry, or anything else. Stop whining and trying to divide the Country. If you're not happy here then look at your other options.

September 8, 2010 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  8. Fed Up Regular American

I really don't understand what all this fuss is about regarding WHY there is so much hate and division goin on in OUR country....

We have the following HATE MONGERS:

Sarah Palin
    Rush Limbaugh
    Fox News
    Entire RepubliKLAN party

I know why there's so much hate, why can't everyone else see it...?

September 8, 2010 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  9. David

Pot calling the kettle black here. Let's think about all the disgusting plans she has/had!!

September 8, 2010 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  10. Pat F

All the uproar is interesting. I wonder if all this offended people were as vocal when the National Endowment for the Arts was issuing grants for works of art in which a crucifix was submerged in urine. I'm betting that they were on NEA's side in that case.

So freedom of speech and freedom of religion are only applicable for non-Christian religions. I get it now.

September 8, 2010 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  11. quell down

Don't like Hillary at all. But she has a good point about the
    media liking to stir things up.
    She realizes that this kind of attention could get someone
    killed.
    Muslims don't have a tolerance for someone attacking their
    religion like christians do. They will kill someone who disagrees
    with them, unlike christians.
    The media should show more maturity and responsibility in
    their reporting. It's almost like the media wants a blood bath
    in this country.

September 8, 2010 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  12. concerned1

Why is the secretary of state still blaming things on Bush? Not sure why this entire administration hasn't taken the hint that America is tired of seeing the buck passed back to Bush on the economy–which happened to fail under a democratic majority in both senate and house.

September 8, 2010 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  13. President Obozo: On vacation and OUT TO LUNCH

===================================================
    Tell it to Obozo!!! You are working for the BIGGEST FINANCIAL DISASTER this country has ever seen!

My my... funny how all these DemocRATS suddenly have found the religion of fiscal responsibility! These are the very same people that have run up multi-TRILLION dollar deficits as far as the eye can see!

VOTE THEM ALL OUT OF OFFICE.

September 8, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  14. Mark from Louisiana

I wonder what she would say if he was burning an American flag?

September 8, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  15. Fair is Fair

The Florida pastor has the constitutionally guaranteed right to do what he is planning to do.

It is NOT THE APPROPRIATE thing to do, however.

Sound familiar to the Ground Zero mosque debate? That's because it is. So if you have a view on one, you should have the same view on the other. If you were being honest, that is.

September 8, 2010 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  16. Little Lulu

You know, it might upset me IF AND I MEAN IF the Muslims were tolerant of Christians but we all know they are not. I, for one American, am sick an tired of bowing down (as our prez did) to them. You either stand for something or you fall for anything. How do you people think the Muslims would feel about a Christian church being built next to a mosque over there?? They would not let it happen. People take off your blinders and read the book of Revelation in the Holy Bible. It is being fulfilled each and every day. My God is the one, the only True God and the Bible is the Holy inspired word of God and whether you believe it or not does not change that fact. One day you will see but it will be too late for you then. God help this "once" great nation that has been sold to the devil. Anyone remember a certain disciple selling Jesus out????? Well your "great one" has sold out this nation. Well, CNN – this is probably the last of this I will see because I know you won't post this. Would be totally shocked if it appeared in the comments.

September 8, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  17. DIANA

I hope the media does what she said – DO NOT cover this idiot. It would only give credibility to his insanity.

September 8, 2010 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  18. rick

How did we get to the point where a "pastor" of a 50 person congregation demands this much attention? What will happen when a similar group of muslims burn the bible?

September 8, 2010 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  19. vic

We know Al-Qaida attacked us we have to destroy Al-Qaida Burning a Quran opposing the Mosque never help

September 8, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  20. Darth Vadik, CA

I think that taking lessons from what Hitler did is a little more than disgraceful, but that is just me...

Personally, I think that the pastor already signed his death warrant, I just hope he didn't condemn others too. Muslim fanatics kill over cartoons, I wonder what the punishment (in their crazy eyes) is for burning their Holy book....

..we'll know soon enough, so will the pastor...unfortunately, but God made fools on both sides

September 8, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  21. BJ

I do not believe that America is as racist as these biggots want you to believe. I believe that America is the home of the free (even though my people were terrorized, lynched and murdered by the so-called Christians) and open to religious freedom of expression. The so-called minister that is doing this is ignorant and probably a hard core racist (evidenced by wanting to talk to George Bush). Oh my eyes have seen the glory and he wasn't a part of that flock, I don't care what type of Christianity he is practicing. I have seen enough of these hard core fundamentalist and their antics that want to go back to a time when they did not have a Black President. Just because we are silent, does not mean we are not watching.

September 8, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. Really?

I completely agree with HC's comment; why would the media focus on a so called Christian preacher with 50 followers... you guys gave him exactly what he wanted... a world stage...

September 8, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  23. once upon a horse

the media along with Mrs. Clinton et al is giving this once little known pastor what he REALLY wants ATTENTION!! There are some right wingers loving this but I think the best thing to do is to ignore this nutjob and let the chips fall as they may. It's just like the so-called pastor in Arizona that made news about praying for the death of President Obama. He had his 15 mins of fame and now I bet few even recall what his name is.

September 8, 2010 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  24. NVa Native

Burning a book for poltical and/or religious theater is disgusting in itself, but burning a religious book of faith, by a person of a different religious faith/opinion is evil.
    And that no one in the Republican Party will denounce this act of evil is a very clear definition of how low the Republican party has de-evolved into an dispicable mass of fear and loathing.

September 8, 2010 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. Henry Miller, Libertarian

Wow! I actually agree with Hillary Clinton! That's never happened before!

September 8, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |