September 9th, 2010

Newark Mayor endorses Fenty for mayor of D.C.

(CNN) – Washington D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty has a fan in Newark.

Earlier this week Newark Mayor Cory Booker tweeted his support for Fenty, stating "I am supporting Fenty in Washington DC – I hope you will consider doing so as well." Sixty-three of his followers obliged by retweeting the message. Citing Fenty's education leadership, Booker tweeted again on Wednesday, writing "@fenty2010's ed reform efforts have given hope 2 cities across the country. Can you retweet your support for Mayor Fenty?"

A Clarus poll released Wednesday evening indicated that D.C. City Council Chairman Vincent Gray leads Fenty 45 to 38 percent among likely Democratic primary voters, with 14 percent undecided. Fenty, now touting himself as the underdog, could use the boost that Booker hopes to provide.

The mayoral primary in DC will take place in five days.  Since Democrats comprise a majority in DC, the winner of the Democratic primary on September 14 will be considered the favorite in the general election this November.

Filed under: 2010 • Adrian Fenty • Washington D.C.
  1. Rick McDaniel

Again we see where figures from outside a voting area are trying to influence voting. That is just WRONG, people.

September 9, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Aren't we all tired of wars, that's why I support Democrats. No more wars, bring our troops home.

September 9, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. Sherry

If Fenty looses, hopefully this will serve as a lesson to other "public" officials - you are there to serve and listen to the "public" - and continue to use whatever platform that got you elected in the first place.

September 9, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  4. K(DC)

Once Fenty is sent packing, it may be a good idea that he replace the Mayor of Newark, The last I check, I believe Mr. Booker is a resident and have enough problem in Newark or just maybe he may be another one of Fentys frat brothers repaying a debt like the others who received no-bid contracts.

September 9, 2010 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  5. Sunshine on Your parade

It amazes me that anyone endorses anyone these days. I guess for a candidate it is good but for many who are sooooooo unsophistacated we often go by word of mouth. We dont read muc anymore and we are discouraged from believeing what we sense. I hope Fenty does not get back into office and I hope Vincent's plan comes to fruition

September 9, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |