September 10th, 2010

Henry in the House: Nervous energy at an Obama news conference

Editor's Note: Ed Henry has covered the White House for CNN since March 2006. In "Henry in the House," he offers an insider's view of what it's like to cover the president.

Washington (CNN) - I'm always feeling this burst of nervous energy when I walk into the spectacular East Room for a presidential news conference. There's just been so much history in that room that it's hard not to feel the excitement of this one smaller moment in the grander sweep of White House history.

Adding to the tension is that in order to get the dozens of reporters all settled into their seats, White House aides make you file into the room at least 30 minutes before President Obama arrives. So you grab your seat and then have to sit and sit and sit and wait and wait and wait - giving you lots of time to think about two things:

1) I hope he calls on me.

2) Wait, if he does call on me, what am I going to ask?

Full story

Filed under: President Obama • White House
  1. todd

Ask him if he had a real job, if his boss would fire him for being late every day!

September 10, 2010 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  2. GOP Scorched Earth Politics

It was a good question. I wish you and CNN had asked the previous President why he said he didn't care about finding Osama.

September 10, 2010 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Give me sarah palin any day over an obamanation

September 10, 2010 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  4. Chris

What a joke! Your going to ask the question handed to you! You reporters don't ask tough questions!

September 10, 2010 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  5. Waiting

Waiting for thirty minutes to listen to more BS from the master illusionist.It isn't worth the time.

September 11, 2010 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  6. Snow

Baloney, the questions have been pre-screened by nobummers people long before he shows up. He will not take any serious questions from serious journalists.

September 11, 2010 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  7. Jetty

Hendry, John, Wolf Candy and their cohorts can ahead and spin Obama's press conference but the president would emmerged vindicated comw Novemeber 2010.

We are fans of CNN and know when a reporter of TV anchor engaged in negative questioning.

Meanwhile, we salute Risk's List for being very professional so far.

September 11, 2010 01:11 am at 1:11 am |