September 11th, 2010

Palin, Schwarzenegger in tweet tiff

Sarah Palin hit back at Arnold Schwarzenegger Friday on her Twitter page.
Sarah Palin hit back at Arnold Schwarzenegger Friday on her Twitter page.

(CNN) – Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin shot back at California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Friday, after the former movie star poked fun at the former vice presidential nominee on his Twitter account.

As Schwarzenegger flew over the 50th state on his way to Asia for a six-day trade mission, he posted a photo of himself looking out a plane window at an Alaskan mountaintop. Alongside the picture, the governor wrote that he was "looking everywhere but can't see Russia from here."

The joke was a reference to Palin's now infamous – and often misquoted – answer to a foreign policy question during an interview in the run-up to the 2008 presidential election. Many Americans believe Palin once said "I can see Russia from my house," when in reality, the line was uttered by Tina Fey in a Saturday Night Live sketch.

On Friday afternoon, Palin hit back at Schwarzenegger and took aim the economic distress plaguing his state.

"Arnold should have landed," Palin tweeted. "I could have explained our multi-billion dollar state surplus & US energy security efforts. What's he been up to?"

Schwarzenegger's state has been drowning in debt and budget deficits for years. Alaska has a relatively healthy economy that is heavily reliant upon oil revenue and received federal stimulus dollars.

–CNN Producer Todd Sperry contributed to this report

Filed under: Arnold Schwarzenegger • Sarah Palin
  1. Gary's Thoughts

I like Arnold and Sarah, I hope that they make up. Both should run for senate some day.

September 10, 2010 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  2. RICKFROMPA

Sure Sarah, your State and its inhabitants receive monies from the oil companies. I wouldn't brag about that if I were you!

September 10, 2010 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  3. jb

note to CNN: AK is the 49th state. Was Arnold flying over HI, the 50th state?

September 10, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  4. Bruce Hall

She could explain why Alaskans get a $1.80 back for every dollar they pay in taxes and why Alaska has more federal earmarks than any other state. She could also explain why she wants to destroy sensitive habitat to "drill, baby, drill."

September 10, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  5. Olaf Big

Yesss!!!! Terminator vs. Refudiator. Refudiate him into dust, Sarah!

September 10, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  6. Matt in CA

She must be referring to the windfall taxes she charges to energy companies and then redistributes to Alaska's populace. I would like to hear her explain her socialist energy policy.

September 10, 2010 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  7. Master of Deception

Schwarzenegger received plenty of federal stimulus dollars too.

Alaska had a 2.2 billion dollar surplus.

When Gov. Palin went back to Alaska she froze all government spending and cut her budget.

What did Girlyman do?

September 10, 2010 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  8. ex-republican since McCain unleashed the palin plague on us

I can not stand this immature, totally clueless, hateful, stupid, money grubbing, phoney bimbo. I thank you CNN for so many articles about her and her stupid reactions to what people say. Hey big mouth Palin, take a lesson from Obama on how to have class. You and your pathetic daughter are horrible, I loved the clip about the ladies sign in Alaska that said you were the worst gov. ever, you both showed your true colors. How can any of you people followr her?

September 10, 2010 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  9. Thankfully not from Alaska

"Uh, what have I been doing, Sarah? First, running the government of a state has a larger population and economy than almost all other countries on the planet. Second, we don't have the auto-revenue of oil, like Alaska (please don't tell me you are going to take credit for oil being in Alaska and setting up the pipelines!?!?!). Third, unlike you, I have retained my position for years – haven't quit after a year or two to try to get the next election won. I actually have a real job...I don't just give speaches and have myself and my family interviewed for People Magazine and E! Maybe some time you will hold a job long enough to not only be in it during tough and easy times, but also to deliver on a promise to care for the citizens...oh, yea, by that I mean people, not moose and salmon."

September 10, 2010 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  10. Larry Bradenton, FL

1. If Palin can't take a joke..how can she stand in front of the mirror?
    2. Arnold doesn't want a bridge to nowhere.
    3. She has no business or authority to discuss anything in reference to the State of Alaska.
    4. The only reason Alaska has a surplus is due to the oil company revenue paid to the state and its citizens.

September 10, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  11. AK Lisa

I suppose she is attributing the surplus to herself???? She's an egomaniac, she's no longer involved in AK state government affairs, stop pretending, liar, remember: I told congress thanks, but no thanks, another lie Palin was caught in. Stop pretending! You're nothing but a money grubber wanna be president.

September 10, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  12. Ryan

Sarah Palin is thoroughly confusing, in that she has the amazing ability to fail to make sense at any given point. In this instance, she has not been involved in the alleged surplus or security efforts. She was a little too busy with other things during her half-@_ss attempt at acting as governor before calling it quits because she couldn't handle it.

September 10, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  13. Dee

Yea Sarah! She always has a quick and effortless comeback with teeth about the issues that matter. I live in CA & this place is a mess. I grew up in AK and I know the difference between the two. We all need to listen to Sarah more.
    I only hope we don't get Jerry Brown back – I can't believe how he's twisted his message to sound like a conservative & that he has answers to CA's problems. What a joke that is. We're not sure that Meg Whitman can do the job, but does anyone in their right mind really believe Brown can? And is he all the Dems have to offer? I'm more than willing to give Whitman a chance.

September 10, 2010 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  14. macguysea

Sarah... GO AWAY!... and take your daughter off DWTS before she makes a fool of herself. This is all a publicity stunt. Nothing more...

September 10, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  15. mark Ross

Sara you do not have a surplus you represent no one

September 10, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  16. Jared

Uhhh...comparing Alaska to California is kinda like comparing Palin to someone with a brain.

September 10, 2010 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  17. ED FL

Alaska 's wealth is due to Palins resignation and government hand outs. California cannot get ahead because its leader can't speak english and its population is in filtrated with questionable legal ,low wage earning immigrants. PS has anybody checked the current Governors citizenship.

September 10, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  18. repubs are idiots

like palin is the political compass, wow this chic is a diz brain!

September 10, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  19. Frank in Valparaiso Indiana

Governor half term wouldn't have a surplus if it wasn't for all the Federal money – pork – that gushes into her state. At least California has paved roads, no towns or cities that are all septic tanks or your own poop pond in the back, and better schools and universities than Alaska will ever dream of. Sorry Sarah, the 2 states don't compare. Ever surf Alaksa? Thought not.

Go Arnold. She'll be sorry.

September 10, 2010 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  20. Robin Williams

Maybe whoever wrote this article should get there facts straight beforehand. Palin most definitely said she could see Russia from her home. It was not Tina Fey that said it first. Check your facts. Palin was and is an embarrasement.

September 10, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  21. demnomore

The Terminator is no match for Palin!! LOL

September 10, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  22. Julia

Arnold's retort should have been, "Well, gee, Sarah. Maybe you "COULD" have tried to explain it, however, since you left office a full year and a half before the end of your term and spent very little time in office, perhaps you could explain why you think the surplus had anything to do with you." I'd hate to have Palin get into it any futher with Arnold. She could never withstand Maria Shriver jumping into the conversation. Maria would have that woman for breakfast and pick her teeth with her bones. Shriver is smart, better educated and a real lady.

By the way: I thought Arnold's tweet was really clever.

September 10, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  23. freedomdog

Alaska is the 49th stae and turned down federal stimulus money. CNN needs to check it's facts.

September 10, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  24. vgal

Wow -she is the most petty individual out there. It was a joke and funny. But she's just snide and petty.

September 10, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  25. Cynthia

When will will this idiot woman learn to just shut up! She can't stand not to have the last word. I don't know how anyone could actually take her seriously!!!

September 10, 2010 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |