September 13th, 2010

Obama featured in Georgia man's obituary

President Obama is featured in a Georgia man’s obituary.
President Obama is featured in a Georgia man’s obituary.

(CNN) – If you are a friend of Don Unsworth, a Georgia businessman who recently passed away, don't send flowers to the family. Just vote against President Obama in 2012.

That was the message conveyed in Unsworth's obituary, according to CNN affiliate station WIS.

"In lieu of flowers the family respectfully asks that donations be sent to the American Cancer Society, or to the campaign of anybody who is running against President Barack Obama in 2012," said the obituary, which ran in the local newspaper.

Donna Barnes said Unsworth was "not really a big Obama fan," taking issue with the stimulus bill and high unemployment rate.

"We just felt like it was the best tribute we could give to him," said Barnes.

A similar plea appeared in the obituary pages of the Las Vegas Review-Journal in July, only the family of Charlotte McCourt asked readers not to vote for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Mike Mc

Old white man in the South...hmm, I think we know why he didn't like Obama

September 13, 2010 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. derrick

Wow....even in death this man takes hatred and division to his grave!! Oh well.....say hello to your good friend Lucipher

September 13, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. Former Republican, now an Independent

Bigotry has no limitations, even with a dead man's family.

September 13, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. Kathy

Let me guess, Don Unsworth was 98 years old and died of dementia.

September 13, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  5. Billy J in Texas

Creepy. And totally lame way to represent yourself on the way out of this world. Either he was a sad old man, or his family are cretins, either way..... You gotta pity folks like that.

September 13, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. White male in Metro Atlanta

I am a native of Georgia who voted for President Obama. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to walk away from a group of my former school mates when they start railing against President Obama. Most of the time it was these are same men that told off color jokes but not before looking around to make sure no blacks were present then use N word. This request comes as no surprise to me. After all he is one uppity black man as one Georgia Congressman put it.

September 13, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Wow.....elect a black man and this is what happens. I've never been so ashamed of Americans......this Georgia peach, who I'm sure marched with the KKK in his younger days, sat quietly back while Bush and Cheney flushed the future of this country down the toilet in Iraq and probably never said a negative thing against Bush.......funny thing is that most teabag racist don't even know who their puppetmasters are.....the Koch brothers who don't give a crap about any teabaggers...............sad time in this country.......very sad time.......All democrates must vote. We cannot allow the clowns to take over this country......

September 13, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  8. Carole

I have always been and would like to continue to be proud of the country in which I live. However, when I see newscasters flock to and idolize loudmouths like Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh, bow down the idiotic celebrity-seeking, uneducated, trailer trash Palin entourage, and the just plain stupid like the pompous Boehner, who has the personality of a dust ball, or the second round of Quayles (do we NEVER learn?), it makes me want to become a Norwegian citizen. I hope things change, but I believe that, in spite of our very able and very bright President, I believe that this country is much too fractured to ever function proudly again!.

September 13, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  9. Richard in Montana

Hate and racism abound in this country....I wonder if they buried him with his tea bags.

September 13, 2010 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  10. Rick McDaniel

Good sentiment.

September 13, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. Nat

Nice. Racist and hateful even in death. Well done, Don! You lived an admirable life! SMDH

September 13, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. OhJeezNotThisAgain

Right, because "anyone but Bush" worked out so well, didn't it?

September 13, 2010 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  13. Jon from Madison

I love it. This will be even more effective after he allows the continuation of the death tax. If Obama thinks he can tax us beyond the grave, we should be able to raise funds for his opponents, even from beyond the grave.

September 13, 2010 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. Nat

Worthy Candidate: (insert 'Carrot Top'...or ANY white person's name here).

September 13, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  15. frag

Ah the Republicans.........once again playing "morality limbo" or how low can YOU go. No wait, I have something even more spiteful, more hateful than you............just give me a minute, it'll come to me.

September 13, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. banabon

No wonder he died wretched, because he lived a life of hate. How can someone be so bad unto death. Probably he vowed that he would not live to see Obama as president of US. What a shame to an obscure man whose name will soon fade into inglorous memory.

See how low Americans have descended and imagine how our reputation is fast eroding in the global arena.

September 13, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. ABM

I will do my part to honor this person by voting FOR President Obama in 2012!!!!!!! Absolutely!!!!!

Some people just can't seem to have the common decency to respect the POTUS or the established democracy of this country. All of a sudden after this president was elected some people have lost their minds and do foolish things like this.

{this is a restrained response to such an idiotic suggestion}

September 13, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  18. Geminiladi

What a sad and pitiful life he must have lead if that is what him and his family wanted the last thought of anyone who knew or heard of him to remember. SAD!!!!

September 13, 2010 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  19. ThinkAgain

This is disgusting! The Republicans really have quite the "base" of mean-spirited people.

And ignorant, too: Anybody who falls for the Republicans and their tried-and-failed policies and their lies to get average Americans to vote against their own self-interest are pretty darn stupid.

September 13, 2010 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  20. Willie12345

Good for him !!!

September 13, 2010 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  21. commonsense

Seems like the racists are a dying breed.

September 13, 2010 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  22. MaryAnn in VA

Wow what have we come to? Pleading for something like that in an obituary. How shallow.

September 13, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  23. sara

Well I didn't think this was in very good taste. Oh well that is just me.

September 13, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  24. felicia

What a bunch of whitebread, chixenshyt busters. President Obama still gone win. Despite what you "people" think

September 13, 2010 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  25. Living in America

Wow this has gotten really crazy. Folks taking issue with the stimulus bill but the private sector is not pumping jobs or money into the economy. CRAZY!!!!!! Folks taking politics to their grave.

September 13, 2010 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |