September 14th, 2010

Hill Hallways: Cornyn doesn't sugercoat O'Donnell

Editors note: Watch for more real time dispatches from the hallways on Capitol Hill as CNN's correspondents and producers cover the machinations of Congress. As always, the CNN Political Ticker is your source for up-to-the-minute political news- now even more so.

12:19 p.m. ET – I just ran into NRSC head John Cornyn coming off the elevator. Most Washington Republicans will tell you on background they think the Delaware Senate pick up is gone for them if Christine O'Donnell wins the GOP primary, but they are reluctant to say so on the record.

Cornyn came pretty close.

He said that not only does he have doubts about whether O'Donnell can win in Delaware, but he also admitted that race is the "lynchpin" to any chance of Senate Republicans taking back the majority. He also said if O'Donnell wins, they would have to have a "powwow" about whether to dedicate any money to that race.

First, I asked whether he's worried about O'Donnell's electability.

Cornyn:
"I think its a serious issue. People have been quoting Bill Buckley and saying he is for the most conservative candidate who can get elected, and I think it would be a shame to nominate someone who could not win that seat, and I think that Mike Castle clearly could. I have doubts about his primary opponent."

Is any chance at taking the majority, is that a seat you have to get?

Cornyn:
"Its really a lynchpin. Right now we calculate there are about 13 Senate races that are in play, but you know you start to chip away at them by taking states like Delaware out of play, then our chances of getting there are much lower," he said.

I then asked If O'Donnell wins, are you going to pull your money out of there?

"I think we'll have to have a little powwow," said Cornyn, laughing, as he walked away.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell • Hill Hallways • John Cornyn
  1. Get On Board

Get on board the train corney, the American people are fed up with the socialist dictator leadership of this country at the present time.

September 14, 2010 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  2. george from alaska

...total bull. the tea party is a republican scam. they are funding and controlling the whole damn tea party nonsense. even an unfortunately retarded child can see that. republicans, democrats, whatever...they are all just different marketing brands of the same shoddy product. when you vote, write in micky mouse for everything!

September 14, 2010 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  3. President Obozo: On vacation and OUT TO LUNCH

Here's a novel idea.. LET THE PEOPLE OF DELAWARE DECIDE! Maybe they think some new blood is needed in DC. Castle has been part of the problem there so it is highly unlikely he would be willing to shake things up. And if people are dumb enough to vote for a DemocRAT after the last 4 years, then they will get more of the current pain, only worse.

September 14, 2010 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  4. Tom TX

In that case, I pray for an O'Donnell win.... I'd be jubulent!

September 14, 2010 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. Anne P

Actually, I'm American and you don't speak for me, "Get on Board"! You don't know what Socialism is and it shows. And how are those Republican solutions working for you? "Trickle down" economics didn't seem to pan out, did it? And, who's suppose to pay for the unfunded wars of the past 10 yrs? How about some answers rather than taking the easy road of blaming anyone who disagrees w/you?

September 14, 2010 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  6. RIchard

well, geez, maybe if people are dumb enough to vote Repub after the disaster of the Bush II presidency and 1994-2006 Repub Congress, they are dumb enough to vote for the Demos.

And you wackos talking about socialism really need to take a community college course on types of government. That and give up your Medicare, ya hypocrites.

There will be no "change" from the left or the right, the Teanutters or the anarchists, until a viable 3rd party is formed.

September 14, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  7. Chas in Iowa

I think it is a ploy by the GOP to bolster the ranks of the GOP for upcoming elections. They were dwindling down to a few rich old white guys and realised they needed a broader base.
    Now when election toime comes and the Teabagger leader all move their positions to the left to be electible it will be the same old GOP.

Same thing they did with the Christian Coalition back in the 00's

September 14, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. Barry

I think it's funny that President Obama is attacking John Boehner. People don't even know who John Boehner is and now President Obama is making him a household name and elevating him to the level of Presidents level. I don't think President Obama gets it his whole game is to just spread hate and attack people. He did it to George W. Bush now that the American people don't want to hear that anymore he just pulls his little hate thing on John Boehner. I think it is becoming apparent that President Obama has some issues. It might stem from being beat up a lot as a kid. I would imagine the victim attitude and smart mouth didn't go over so well on the play ground. Either way it would be to his benefit if he considered some professional help.

September 14, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Cornyn and the rest of the republican party are going to regret backing these Tea-tard candidates.

September 14, 2010 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  10. Bill

O hope the GOP picks O'Donnell. I read an article about her about of weeks ago. She's a total sham. She has no money, doesn't pay her own household bills, has very little backing from the real GOP in Delaware. Let her win the primary. Easier to beat in November. Delaware is smarter than O'Donnell.

September 14, 2010 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  11. GOP Scorched Earth Politics

Do it Delaware Republicans. Go for it. Let's see how popular your right-wing extremist agenda is in November. Nice touch that your wack-job supporters gave the incumbent a death threat.

September 14, 2010 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  12. sir magneto

i second the vote for mickey mouse. Quite clearly his credentials are far superior to the current lot.

September 14, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. Clint

"Get On Board" your train left the station years ago. While you mouth droolers wax philosophical about "socialist", you wouldn't have the intellectual IQ to recognize one if they hit you upside your hard head.

September 14, 2010 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  14. wwf

What is really scary, is that some people on these forums actually vote without ever thinking for themselves. Just say,"Sounds good to me'! Never underestimate stupid people in large groups

September 14, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  15. Jimbo (the real one)

Every senior republican strategest realizes the potential damage these tea party candidates could cause in November. Despite the flashy costumes, unabashed support from Fox News and rallies in DC, very few stand a chance of winning their general elections. They also know the same is true for Sarah Palin in 2012 which is why they hope she will just continue to "take the money" and show no interest in the GOP nomination.

September 14, 2010 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  16. Duck Fallas

The socialist dictator obozo tried to indoctrinate my kids with socialist propaganda today so I kept them home so I could teach them how strong grizzly patriots like Christine don't want them to wank.

September 14, 2010 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  17. Ben

We need a REAL conservative in that seat, not a another RINO.

September 14, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  18. Ben

Anne P – "Actually, I'm American and you don't speak for me, "Get on Board"! You don't know what Socialism is and it shows"

Neither do you, apparently.

"And how are those Republican solutions working for you? "Trickle down" economics didn't seem to pan out, did it?"

Trickle Down is a lot better than that Great Society crap your idiot party supported. How's that War on Poverty working out for ya?

September 14, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  19. Layla

Count me on board with the conservative, O'Donnell. Mike Castle has been in office for 40 years. If he wins, nothing changes.

I am tired of the Republican party telling me how to vote.

September 14, 2010 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  20. Rick McDaniel

Ya know, it really is sad to see that commentary, because what that amounts to, is disregarding of the will of the people, to choose their representative.

That is exactly the kind of thinking that makes me say.........throw all of the incumbents out of office, and start over. the corruption is too bad, to elect any other option.

September 14, 2010 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  21. rick

The Tea Party is potentially the best possible thing that could come along to help the Democrats in the upcoming elections.

September 14, 2010 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  22. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Voting for Republicans to get a job when they've done nothing to help Americans get jobs. Just vote NO as they have voted NO against jobs for Americans.

September 14, 2010 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  23. Rob Johnson

Wow, pretty scathing indictment of O'Donnell. Why don't you tell us what you really think Cornyn?

This kind of story is why I'm convinced that there will be a split between the Tea Party and the Republicans in the near future. They will probably do well this election, but how much longer can they keep these two factions together?

Stories like this tell me not very long. Expect the Tea Party to run a third party candidate for President, if not in 2012, definitely in 2016.

September 14, 2010 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  24. rin

i sure hope odonnell wins! lol

September 14, 2010 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  25. Jim - Miami

If O'Donnell wins, the dems will hold the seat which would only be negative for the country. Obama's economically ignorant economic policies are an anchor around the neck of the country and his redistributionist ideology is just naive non-sense. No, obama, my income is not yours to decide how much I keep and , yes, your entitlement (aka stimulus, health care) spending is nothing more than a program for the lazy, dumb and self-entitled.

As much as I agree with the teaparty candidate, i know it's more important to wrestle power away from the dems and put economic common-sense back in Washington. If that means a moderate Rep candidate who can win, so be it...

September 14, 2010 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |