September 14th, 2010

Hill Hallways: Feingold's prospects

Editors note: Watch for more real time dispatches from the hallways on Capitol Hill as CNN's correspondents and producers cover the machinations of Congress. As always, the CNN Political Ticker is your source for up-to-the-minute political news- now even more so.

12:35 p.m. ET – One of the races that moved into the Democrats long worry column this summer is Senator Russ Feingold's re-election bid in Wisconsin.

I ran into him coming into the Capitol for his first vote of the day this morning, and he sure didn't act like a candidate in trouble.

He was noticeably chipper, telling me, "I'm increasingly confident and feeling pretty good today."

Feingold admitted that the economy is obviously tough, but insists that the Democratic base and likeminded independents are slowly becoming more enthusiastic.

"The Democrats are completely on notice as well as many independents that people who support the Bush policies want back in power."

In theory, Feingold is one of those Democrats the angry base should still be happy with. He says he hopes that will help.

"I happen to support the president on many things, I supported the stimulus bill and I supported the health care bill, but you know I disagree with him on Afghanistan, I didn't support the financial regulation bill because I didn't think it did enough so Wisconsin people know that I really respond to Wisconsin ideas and Wisconsin enthusiasm on these things, so I think in the end that will be very helpful, but in the end I want the president to succeed," said Feingold.

Filed under: Hill Hallways • Russ Feingold
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Russ has nothing to worry about. His job is secure.

September 14, 2010 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  2. Barry

Feingold will find himself in the Unemployment line after November like many of Americans have since the Democrats have all but ruined our country. The Obama Recession, Unemployment at 9.6%, Economy in terrible condition, and they ran up the largest deficit in history. Since they have taken office Poverty is higher than it has been in modern history. It is amazing to me that they say things like why would Americans want to go back to the GOP policies. The answer is times were far better. We had jobs, houses, and our kids didn't go to bed hungry. I hope there is a change in November and Democrats are brought to justice by the American people and they wind up in the unemployment line like they have done to so many. In 2012 I Hope there is a change and President Obama is unemployed as well.

September 14, 2010 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. jim

Russ Feingold should be ashamed of supporting Obama agenda to destroy what is left of the middle class.Under Obama's leadership we have completely wiped out the gains made by the poor over the last decade. Shameful economic news by a president that offered so much and has delievered so little.

September 14, 2010 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. Rick McDaniel

He's been listening to his own party delude themselves.

September 14, 2010 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  5. Snow

He is an old time politican whose time has come. You do not honestly believe this ole dog is going to let anyone see him sweat do you? He probably has to change his depends a couple of times a day.

September 14, 2010 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. davidh3

I'm voting for Russ. He's the best of the Dems.

September 14, 2010 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. ramtruck2500

First people need to realize that Russell is not running for anything today. its the Republicans. The leader there is Johnson. A millionaire from Oshkosh who has used ever ounce or corporate welfare and lobbying influence he can get along with out contracting good jobs to temp agancies for a fast buck. He's swift and extremely cynical about everything from the family to even american apple pie. For someone who votes on the individual I can safely say that Johnson is one big dork. In my state we have had some great politicians in BOTH parties and thas the way it should be. i really resent any influx of money and such form the rest of the country to tell us how to vote. if need be you can almost call them yourself. Just because one is a socalled successful businessman does not make hime anything of a public servant. There is nothing wrong with being a professional politician no matter what one contorts it too. I also find it quite interesting that with Russell doing the thing pro and against that the socalled big money tea baggers have issues with him. its not the issues with them it way to obvious its the color and all the money.

September 14, 2010 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  8. gt

no more bush ... no more obama.... new leaders all the way around...russ your a apart of the problem.. been there to long....

September 14, 2010 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  9. water bearer

Senator Feingold has great integrity and has ALWAYS represented the state of Wisconsin with honor. He will CONTINUE to do that for his next term which he will win and there is no doubt about that. The majority of people in Wisonsin are proud to be represented by him and we will not turn our backs on him now!

September 14, 2010 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  10. Out

If he supported the disaster called the healthcare bill, he's not good for America, boot him out.

September 14, 2010 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |