September 15th, 2010

Despite pressure, GOP leader to attend fundraiser for gay Republicans

Despite pressure from a social conservative organization, Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, will attend a fundraiser for a Republican gay and lesbian advocacy group.

Washington (CNN) - Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, dismissed a request Wednesday from an influential social conservative organization to skip a fundraiser for a Republican gay and lesbian advocacy group, saying that even though he does not agree with the group on social issues he shares its views on fiscal discipline and economic policy.

Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, sent Cornyn a letter on Monday saying that “it is deeply troubling” that the Texas Republican would attend an upcoming Log Cabin Republicans fundraiser, because the organization does not represent the ideals of the Republican Party.

“Your work in the U.S. Senate on issues important to the family is well known, as is your close association with Family Research Council and the work we do, which makes the association all the more distressing,” Perkins wrote in a letter provided to CNN by the FRC. “In deference to the work you have done against the debasement of our culture, I would ask respectfully that you withdraw from attending the event.”

But Cornyn, who oversees campaign efforts for Senate Republicans, said that he planned to attend the event and explained that he “accepted for two reasons” in a letter sent Wednesday to Perkins.

Read both letters after the jump:

Read Cornyn's letter here [pdf]
Read Perkins' letter here [pdf]

“First, part of my job is to reach out to those committed to defeat Senate Democrats this November,” Cornyn wrote in the letter obtained by CNN. “The Log Cabin Republicans are doing just that, as they stand for fiscal discipline, limited government, and a strong national defense. We may not agree on several key issues, but we do agree that every committee in the United States Senate should be chaired by a Republican.

“Second, as social conservatives we affirm the basic dignity of every human life, including not only unborn children, but also adults with whom we may disagree. I believe we are all made in the image and likeness of God. I believe the beauty and blessing of America is that people of different faiths and creeds can live together in peace, despite serious disagreements. Respecting each other’s dignity does not mean ignoring those disagreements, but rather being honest about them, and working together where possible despite them. I trust that was the spirit in which I was invited to this event; I know it is the spirit in which I accepted it.”

The Log Cabin Republicans' National Dinner is scheduled to take place next week in the nation’s capital and will feature several House Republicans, including National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Pete Sessions, R-Texas. The organization said on its Web site that Cornyn, chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, would be “attending the VIP reception prior to the dinner.”

In his letter to Perkins, Cornyn also emphasized his personal opposition to ending the “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” policy regarding gay men and lesbians serving in the U.S. military. Perkins, in his letter, noted that the Log Cabin Republicans want to see “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” ended. And the Texas Republican closed his letter to Perkins by writing that “I respect your opinion, and I trust that our own dialogue will continue in the months and years ahead.”

Filed under: John Cornyn • Tony Perkins
  1. all the news that is fit too omit

He should go, log cabin Republicans are well respected at this address and those in my party that disagree, then you are just nitwits.

Don't marginalize yourself into being extinct.

The great Ronald Reagan once said, "Anyone who I agree with 80 percent of the time, is my friend".

HE WAS RIGHT.

I'd like to punch Perkins in the face, social conservatives who are hateful have NO place in my party and THEY are the only people that can bring us down this Fall.

September 15, 2010 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  2. Jay

A gay Republican? I'm not anywhere near being gay but I can't see how gays support a party that openly stands for being against them.

Gay and extremely stupid I guess. Now there are some real morons.

September 15, 2010 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  3. Former Republican, now an Independent

Wake up Tony. The republican party doesn't support us evangelical Christians, but they sure do like to use us!

September 15, 2010 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  4. Marcus

No, they are not nuts nor mad.
    They are gays and lesbians and are Republican... for now.

September 15, 2010 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. Texas Progressive

I understand gay people aligning with the Republican Party of many years ago – those who demonstrated true fiscal responsibility and defense of individual rights. Today's GOP is little more than a group of corporate prostitutes using narrowly focused social issue to grab votes – like trampling on the rights of gay people. I'd recommend the gay people direct their money toward some other direction – than toward this Texas redneck and the Bible-thumping freaks he represents.

September 15, 2010 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  6. Justin Hale

I just love the euphemistic names these groups use to further their 'hate' inspired agendas. Can anyone actually cite any credible research that the Family Research Council has offered up for peer review or has been published in a scientific journal? Please...

September 15, 2010 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  7. exposo

I'd rather go to a fundraiser for straight Democrats.

September 15, 2010 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  8. Marie MD

Wow! Can you say hypocrites? Even that other woman who just won the primary in DE is full of it.
    Did anyone bother to check her and her thinking since 1997. It's all on tape.
    No wonder the quitter helped her. They are two lunatics. Are all the rethug women politicians crazy and/or clueless?

September 15, 2010 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  9. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas: The new target for the Tin Foil Hat Brigade...

Go Tea Party Go, alienate ALL Americans – You CAN DO IT!!!

September 15, 2010 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  10. Patrick from Minnesota

As if it makes any sense at all that Republicans actually support GLBT.

September 15, 2010 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  11. joan

i like this guy. i REALLY like what he is saying! he is a true American.

September 15, 2010 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  12. greg in jax

So now it's Tony Perkins who gets to define who a Republican is or is not. Damn, that party is just going to keep getting smaller and smaller.

September 15, 2010 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  13. Chicago

How can you be gay and Republican?

September 15, 2010 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  14. KBA

If the Republican party does not embrace gay and lesbian Republicans they may as well cash it all in and go home. I'm a middle aged straight, married woman and I have never understood why the Republican party (or the Dems for that matter) continue to keep gays and lesbians on the fringe. I have dear friends who are gay and lesbian and they are more conservative than I am! Republicans can't afford to lose that vote and should give them a place at the table, now!

September 15, 2010 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  15. Brett

As soon as the Tea Party is crashed by social conservatives, the party is over.

September 15, 2010 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  16. Cissy

Thank you, Senator. Fiscal restraint is what it's all about. Social policy will take care of itself once the feds get their hands out of our pockets.

September 15, 2010 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  17. sara

Just plain silly. It's not like he was invited to something illegal. I wonder if he would attend if it weren't an election year. Shame, shame.

September 15, 2010 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  18. An Act of Desperation!

Cornyn is acting out of an act of Desperation! He would have never otherwise met with that group, no way in hell. But the Tea Party is taking his Republican base quite fast and at this point, he is just liable to reach out to Granma Muffin if she was willing to help support Republicans. Can you all not see that. It's a ploy to see if the LCR can help push other Republicans in office in November since the Tea Party took away some major figures thus depleting his base. So, go figure!

September 15, 2010 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  19. Seth Hill

I don't know if there are many like me: very liberal on social issues (I think gay marriage and abortion is just fine, and I want to get religion out of government), but want to balance the budget, support a strong defense, and want to kick out all the illegals. If there's anyone else like me out there ... what are we?

September 15, 2010 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  20. aunt Bea and Opie

John takes his orders from MobilExxon and the Texas Sword Makers only,thats his job.

September 15, 2010 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  21. pierce

You think you know a guy and then Cornyn comes out.

Well, no wonder he liked that Evian water and ordered it by the case.

September 15, 2010 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  22. Doug

You know.. This guy and that event will go nowhere.. What on earth are gays doing hanging out with these hypocrites ?

September 15, 2010 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  23. TexasNative

Wow, I didn't think that I'd ever see Sen. Cornyn even regcognize Log Cabin Republicans, much less meet with them. He surely has some sinister plan in the works, 'cause he's usually just not that nice a guy.

September 15, 2010 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  24. cadwl

Wow, I'm not a Republican and I generally don't like this guy, but that was a very adult thing to do. If only we could extend that sort of agree-to-disagree philosophy across the aisle.

September 15, 2010 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  25. malabar

Pleasant surprise. Cornyn has cajones. dialogue. mutual respect. we will win together. as important as the gay marriage issue is to both sides, it is just one issue. far too many more to use that as a litmus test. of course this will expose the dems true divisive nature. libs dont really want tolerant republicans. ruins the picture they paint. tuff

September 15, 2010 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |