September 15th, 2010

Steele defends Gingrich's 'Kenyan, anti-colonial' comment

(CNN)
- Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele said Wednesday that he doesn't believe former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was playing to lowest common denominator politics when he said that President Obama has a "Kenyan anti-colonial" worldview.

In an interview with CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King on John King, USA, Steele said he thinks Gingrich's comment, made to the National Review on Saturday, was not based on the president's race.

"I know probably some folks out there want to, but I don't see that," Steele said. "I know Newt. I know that's not his mindset on that. He's talking about a world view that comes from a different part, whether it's Europe, the African continent."

Kicking off his 117-city bus tour in Fairfax, Virginia RNC Chairman Michael Steele said he wants to engage with the Tea Party and believes the GOP will take control of the House and Senate as long as Republicans get behind their party's nominees.

"This is a whole different kind of feeling, politically that we've not seen in a while and I think it's important that we not miss that opportunity," Steele said. "That's my message. Stop it. Let's get behind our nominees and win the election."

Steele also had a message for naysayers, like National Republican Senatorial Committee chairman Sen. John Cornyn who questioned whether Delaware Republican senatorial candidate Christine O'Donnell can win a statewide race.

"I don't know if she can win until we try," Steele said. "How can you claim defeat before you attempt victory? This makes no sense. It makes no sense. So stop it. Stop it."

Filed under: JKUSA • John King USA • Michael Steele • Newt Gingrich
  1. nellie bly

Steele couldn't be more incorrect. Gingrich knew exactly what kind of person he was appealing to with this statement. But it won't do him (Gingrich) any good. His moral character is so low, even the tea partiers wouldn't vote for him in 2012.

September 15, 2010 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  2. Ken, AZ

What a dispicable, clueless idiot.

September 15, 2010 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  3. Alex in Wisconsin

I honestly didn't think Mr. Steele was THIS stupid. The Kenyan comment wasn't based on race? are you serious? not only was it based on race, its based on the Birther myth. If that level of racism is blindingly obvious to white people, it should be 3 times more obvious to any black person who has been alive since 1990. This just shows how far away from the African American community Michael Steele's heart and mind really are.

September 15, 2010 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  4. Cole

Steele you are better than this. Tell truth to power or come to the other side. It is sad to see Republicans, the party of my father, dissolve into a group that is becoming so twisted in their logic that wouldn't recognize truth if it bit them on the nose. If Republicans want to continue on this racist tact make them own it.

September 15, 2010 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  5. CathyinAZ

Michael Steele is more stupid than I originally thought.

September 15, 2010 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  6. Glenn from Cary

I think I get it now. Republican politicians are in a contest to see who can appear to be the dumbest, craziest and/or most despicable public figure in America. So far I'm voting for Newt.

September 15, 2010 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  7. GJ

I agree with Newt. I'm pro-colonialism. It was awesome, clearly. It's not like we ever had a revolution about that or anything.

September 15, 2010 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  8. John, TX

Mr. Steele, for Christ's sake, allow Newt to explain himself. He speaks English and you are not in his mind to know what he's thinking at any point in time.

September 16, 2010 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  9. Quisqueyano

Folks...if you believe we are making progress electing people like Sarah Palin and Michael Steel, you should visit a doctor...because you are mentally challenge.

September 16, 2010 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  10. Dave, Santa Barbara

Steele is like the dog in the movie "Up." Squirrel?

Nod to Jon Stewart.

September 16, 2010 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  11. Anonymous

He is definitely talking about his background and family culture. The comment may not have been "color-racists" but it was still meant to insinuate that Obama's mind set is not American.
    Newt acts with his head up his ass- but I don't mean that to say he's a bigot or predjudice, I'm only say he doesn't think like a person with a brain.
    Steel isn't much better.

September 16, 2010 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  12. Aaron

Buckle up, Mr. Steele. After the Nov election, you'll be working for the billionaire Koch brothers. They already employ Palin, DeMint, and Fox News. And they've got the bucks to finish buying up the GOP. Come 2011, your standard statement will be...if it's not good for the Koch brothers, it's not good for America.

September 16, 2010 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  13. Boisepoet

They are so emboldened that they don't even try to hide the racism anymore. I am so ashamed that the electorate even considers about voting for Republicans...

September 16, 2010 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  14. Kman821

This man has absolutely no shame ... he makes Uncle Tom look good.

September 16, 2010 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  15. Panterazero

Personally, I see no problem with the President of the United States having an anti-colonial orientation. I was taught in eighth-grade social studies that we gave up our colonies quite a while ago. Of course, if I were a corporate fatcat looking for a reliable source of uncomplaining cheap labor, I might like the old days better - which Newt sure does.

September 16, 2010 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  16. KathyC in Minnesota

Michael Steele continues to show that he is an IODIOT.

September 16, 2010 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  17. Carrotroot

No, Steele ... Newt's comments were out of line. That's not how a politician - especially a former speaker of the house, should be talking about a current sitting President. Even Pelosi doesn't speak about Bush in such a crass manner.

September 16, 2010 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  18. curtther

I feel so sorry for this very pitiful man.

September 16, 2010 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  19. MARKPAIN

Michael Steele maybe the only one that thinks that but I have not watched Fox News or listened to conservative radio lately

September 16, 2010 08:07 am at 8:07 am |