September 17th, 2010

Murkowski plans to run as write-in candidate

Sen. Lisa Murkowski will announce her plans to run as a write-in candidate Friday.

(CNN) - When Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska announces Friday night - as expected - that she is launching a write-in campaign to retain her seat, she'll be stepping into the middle of some very testy Republican infighting.

Tea Party Express Chairwoman Amy Kremer, whose group campaigned heavily for Murkowski's primary opponent - and eventual primary winner - Joe Miller, said the senator's decision proves she doesn't "get it."

"She was fired by the people. The people were given a choice and they voted for somebody else," she said, adding that she was shocked to learn of Murkowski's decision.

A Republican source told CNN that Murkowski informed "a few" close colleagues that she plans to run as a write-in candidate. A separate source with knowledge of her decision said she expects to announce her write-in candidacy Friday.

Full Story

Updated 8:45 p.m.

Filed under: 2010 • Alaska • Lisa Murkowski
  1. Rick

This is gonna be good. Stay tuned.

September 17, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. True Conservative

She will lose and so will the Libtards that support her.
    The tidal wave of conservatism is coming in November and YOU CANT STOP IT.

September 17, 2010 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  3. Terry

This is not great news for the Democrats or the Republicans or the teabaggers-this is great news for democracy! A public servant sees an opportunity to continue serving the people and wants to take that opportunity. I think what she's thinking more than anything is that she doesn't want a man who would unravel social security, medicare and the civil rights movement in the name of states' rights or personal freedom or whatever these idiots spout off about. I'm a liberal Democrat in Nebraska and I'd love to see her win.

September 17, 2010 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  4. pandurang

I think it is time to kick the communist like pelosi, reid and obama out of the mainstream. This is a great country which is based on independence and capitalism. Thou is responsible for their actions, and outcomes and nothing is free...
    dismantle the crutches like social security, medicare, medicaid and all such entitlements including affirmative action (lest you forget that the constitution says all are equal so why unequal treatment). Long live the liberals in the history books... Don't take my money through burdensome taxes and decide how to spend it – who the heck gave you that right – the 50%+ or so who don't pay taxes??? Don't care about typos – if you do I don't care.

September 17, 2010 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  5. solo

I am democrat but I will vote for lisa just to beat shara

September 17, 2010 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. fideauxdon

Go Lisa! This will be the election that exposes the Tea partiers for what they are; an angry, underachieving, constipated bunch of old farts whose entire philosophy is "I've got mine; screw you!)
    Before you write your reply, I'm 73 years old, retired, successful, and not pissed off when compassion is given to those who haven't been as lucky in life as I have been.

September 17, 2010 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  7. Bob in Alaska

So what if it splits the ticket!!! People miss the point that alot of us are undecided because people act conservative or republican and vote a different way. When I voted for Miller I knew that we would lose seniority but I would rather stand on my morals, standards, and principles than to elect someone who does not stand for what I believe in. That's why Miller won. If it means I have to start paying state taxes instead of receiving federal funds, so be it!

September 17, 2010 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. Rafael

The establishment is completely desperate! Lisa you are a sore bad loser and your hurt the party but, I know you don't care about that you care about the power and the money. Hope Joe wins so that you can be defeated twice in three months maybe that will tell you that Alaska don't want you!

September 17, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  9. JES

Another sore loser.

The people have voted don't you get it.

September 17, 2010 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  10. J STIZZLE ( Oakland , Ca. )

The crazy thing about this announcement is that a Republican is STILL going to win the election there. Go figure .... 2 Republicans vs.
    1 Democrat ..... and instead of the Republican vote being split up enough to insure a Democratic win ..... the Republican STILL wins.
    I ain't NEVER moving to Alaska !!!!!! Too many NUTS up there for me.

September 17, 2010 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  11. Republicans Are The American Taliban

Looks like a Taliban in sheeps clothing...

September 17, 2010 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  12. DCaplinger

You ran and the people said no. What part of that do you not get? Move on. It's idiots like you that have caused the whole mess in the Republican party to begin with. This may serve to do nothing but split the conservative vote, and could allow a Democrat to slide in.

The GOP is quickly finding itself without relevance. Conservatives are tired of this, which is why the Tea Party movement has been so successful. My biggest fear, however, is that we may end up with people who are just as extreme to the right as Obama is to the left. We need people who are going to go to work with the other side of the aisle to do what is right for this country.

September 17, 2010 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  13. katiec

Well do not know how any intelligent voter can support Miller, another right wing radical, but with her going on write in votes, is good news
    for the Democrats.

September 17, 2010 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  14. Camron

Forgive me but I though America was a democracy. If I am correct then Lisa Murkowski has the right to choose to run as a write-in candiate. It's up to her. If I lived in Alaska my vote would certainly go to hear rather than Miller.

September 17, 2010 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. Larry

Good for her

Let ALL the Alaskan voters have a say in who sits in our Senate

September 17, 2010 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  16. aeshaw

I think she should run. I think a healthy debate about whether to privitize social security, the govt should mandate whether drs can perform abortions, eliminate the Dept of Environmental Quality, whether climate change or evolution is real will be good for Alaskans. I hope she runs and wins.

September 17, 2010 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. Sandy

Where do the Republicans get the Dems have "super majority" in the senate?

September 17, 2010 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  18. Rosslaw

To all the critics of Murkowski's decision to go it alone as an independent, what's the problem? The Tea Party's major claim to fame is that they are supposedly unchained by traditional politics and parties. If Murkowski wants to spend her time and money pursuing an independent run for governor she and anyone who contributes to the effort can do so-its called democracy. The Tea Party seems more than a little confused about who can run alone outside of traditional politics and who the Tea Party says can't. Of course, consistency is not the hallmark of Tea Party adherents. All of those voting for the Tea Party who access VA hospitals, Medicare and Social Security could get a well deserved surprise of their lives.

September 17, 2010 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  19. barron

The Republicans are not upset that Murkowski is a sore loser and might beat Joe the Alaskan...they are worried to death that Scott McAdams will pull enough votes to actually win..which is exactly what is going to happen...hopefully, 2012 will see a full scale blood letting during the primaries and convention that will leave the Republican party in the shambles it deserves

September 17, 2010 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  20. bob martin

lets see how that changie thing works for ya in november sarah.

September 17, 2010 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  21. Renee

Wow!!! What arrogance!! It just shows that she has no character whatsoever, just like Mike Castle. No worries – this will just energize the Joe Miller campaign even more!!!

September 17, 2010 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  22. Lynn Greenman

Someone should remind her, she conceeded the election. The voters asked her to leave. Now leave.

September 17, 2010 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  23. Walkman

I wonder how many of the people praising Murkowski wanted to gut Nadar for blocking Gore?

September 17, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  24. harold

Good for you Lisa... Why would Alaska want Mr. Miller who wants to strip Alaska of any help from the Federal Government..?... And get a piece of land in return...Just for big company profits to mine for Gold?..Mr. Miller and Ms. Odonnel... did you both have Health Insurance in past years and now?.. Or are you waiting to be elected Senator to have the gold palted Health Insurance and to heck with the other people who have no Insurance at all.?.... So who is Stupid.. Ms. Odonnel?...Could it be you?..Maybe you can run on your perceiving Sex platform you talk about in the past?

September 17, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  25. jeff, alabama

You can thank Palin Power that this corrupt nut is
    not on a party ticket in this election.
    Liberals can't grasp the fact that Palin fought corruption
    as Governor and she still fights it now.
    But then liberals are media toads by nature.

September 17, 2010 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |