September 17th, 2010

Dem promotes his opposition to Obama

Democrat Chet Edwards wants to make clear he’s not an ally of Obama.
Democrat Chet Edwards wants to make clear he’s not an ally of Obama.

(CNN) – Two years is a long time in politics.

The man who was on then-candidate Barack Obama's shortlist for a running mate in 2008 is now touting his staunch opposition to the president.

Democratic Rep. Chet Edwards – the longtime congressman who faces an uphill battle for reelection in his conservative-leaning Texas district - launched a new ad Friday that declares, "When President Obama and Nancy Pelosi pressured Chet Edwards, Chet stood up to them and voted no."

The ad – among the toughest this election cycle from a Democrat who is distancing himself from the president – specifically touts Edwards' no votes on health care reform and cap and trade, as well as several other votes the Democratic leadership has opposed.

"Chet votes with the conservative Chamber of Commerce sixty-seven percent of the time," the ad states.

Edwards, who has represented parts of central Texas (including former President George W. Bush's hometown of Crawford) since 1991, is battling Republican businessman Bill Flores to hold onto his seat. Polling is sparse, but some have suggested Edwards is down by more than 10 points.

Flores has repeatedly attempted to link Edwards with Washington Democrats in this cycle of anti-incumbency, launching a recent ad that said, "Chet's silent about voting with Nancy Pelosi 96 percent of the time."

Megan Jacobs, Edwards' communication's director, said the congressman will continue to show his distance from his Democratic colleagues back in Washington.

"We've always talked about how Chet is an independent, and will continue to do so," she told CNN.

Filed under: 2010 • Chet Edwards • President Obama
  1. GOP Scorched Earth Politics

Good luck with that. You'll probably lose anyway you turncoat coward. Either stand with the President and not fall for the GOP propaganda machine or lose your seat.

September 17, 2010 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  2. welches, oregon

You know, It would have been a great health care reform bill if the GOP hadn't obstructed every move and if Obama hadn't tried so hard to please his opponents instead of his supporters.

Up is down in America these days.

September 17, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. Alex

mistake.

Republicans will vote for Republicans and Democrats will vote for Democrats, unless they think that Democrat is usless, in which case, they won't go to the poles.

Independents vote with their tummy, and this election cycle, tummy-voters are hungry and can't think straight, so they are voting for Republicans.

September 17, 2010 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. Stacie

And Chet would like everyone with pre-existing conditions to continue to be SOL. Chet doesn't care that even more people don't have health insurance this year. Chet is in the pocket of the insurance industry. Chet is more interested in his political benefit than in his constituents' health.

September 17, 2010 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  5. The reality is...

Good for you, Chet, as I said before: the only Dems that are going to get re-elected are the ones who jump ship and join the Tea Party.

REPEAL OBAMACARE "YES WE CAN!!!!"

September 17, 2010 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  6. Mr. Tea

Do whatever you have to do Chet in order to hold the seat, we will get'em later. The Preident knows this game.

September 17, 2010 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  7. TOTUS 4 PRESIDENT

Wun away, Dems, wun away! Wun away fwom dat evwil Obamwa!!.

September 17, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  8. Gold-digger in California

I hope you lose BIG time Mr. Ant because in my opinion that's about the size you are. Please Texas voters hold this turncoat accountable.

September 17, 2010 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  9. Tom-Vermillion Ohio

Looks like he holding a grudge against Obama for not making him VP.

September 17, 2010 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  10. Blablabla

OK move to join the Tea baggers and shut up. You are no longer a democrat but an ugly opportunist.

September 17, 2010 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  11. nate

If he lacks the fortitude to stand up for his parties principles then he deserves to loose, and good writtens.

September 17, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  12. paw

I suspect that when the blood settles, President Obama will be the only politician that anyone likes!

Al Gore made the mistake of distancing himself from Clinton when Gore himself was running for president. That was a huge mistake. So a Democrat distancing himself from Obama doesn't strike me as good for the Democratic party.

The only Chet Edwards needs to say to get some Republicans, some tea partiers, the right wing nut jobs, and the so-called Christians on your side, is "He's black and I'm not."

The GOP's smear tactics, which is just their same old playbook, are building to a crescendo, and it all stems from the fact they cannot believe they lost to a black man.

Bottom line is, if my mother wants her Medicare, if I want my social security, if I want us to invest in education, if I want to help the poor (WWJD), if I want to advance science so that people I know with ALS and other diseases can hope, if I want to adhere to the separation of church and state, if I want to regulate the oil and gas industries so there are no more disasters, if I want to protect the environment for my grandchildren, who should I vote for on November 2? Democrats, of course. I know they have no spine, but Republicans have no heart.

September 17, 2010 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  13. Desmond in Canada

"Et tu, Brute!"
    So many US politicians are nothing but opportunists ruled by expediency!

September 17, 2010 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  14. bobby

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh big brave boy!!!!!

September 17, 2010 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  15. Marcus

As expected, Dems are bashing him and conservatives/tea partiers are praising him. Was he a Republican and had supported Obama then the opposite would happen (just like it is with those who dared to think for themselves)...

September 17, 2010 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  16. NVa Native

This man was elected to represent his constituents in a conservative area of Texas. Therefore his job is to represent the people who elected him, not follow his own ideaology.
    It's not like he is a narrow minded self-righteous sleaze ball Republican in it for his own benefit.

September 17, 2010 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. paw

ALSO, it is funny that "out of control" spending was o.k. when it was for an unnecessary war, but when it's being done in an effort to save us on the domestic front, Republicans flip-flop.

September 17, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  18. beth

This guy is behaving like a child.

September 17, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  19. Jon from Madison

I love those who say that the health care bill would work better if the GOP hadn't obstructed it.

Please, tell me what part of the bill the GOP has obstructed or blocked?

The answer, if you can't figure it out yourself, is that the GOP didn't have any amendments added to the bill, and did not get enough votes to stop it.

This bill is entirely a Dem problem.

September 17, 2010 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  20. Carmen, Miami FL

So can he say anything that he actually did, or is it just "No to Obama, yes to Chamber of Commerce!" What does that mean? What did he stand for? Lame.

September 17, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  21. if you have a brain, you must be a republican or independent

Love it when someone votes for the good of the country rather than just blindly follow a bad leader because he's from your party.

Way to go Chet!

September 17, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. beevee

O'yes! Another spineless selfish democrat not supportin the rest of the party just to get reelected.

September 17, 2010 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  23. vic, Nashville TN

Watch Bill Clinton extended interview with Daily show Jon Stewart (09-16-2010)
    I will vote for democrats
    thanks to Bill Clinton

September 17, 2010 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  24. Orlando Patriot

Those of you who STILL support this health care bill obviously do not understand how an economy works and have never taken (and passed!!) an economics course. In economics there is a saying "there is no such thing as a free lunch". What does that mean? If you get something "for free" someone else had to pay for it.

I understand that and realize if I want excellent health/car/homeowners insurance I must allocate some of my pay to that purchase. If I decide NOT to buy it then I am accepting that risk. Anybody who SUPPORTS the health care bill is a leech and wants someone else to pay for their responsibility. That is factual because rational people are not willing to pay for someone ELSE'S health care so if you support it then you are a lazy leech.

I suggest you do a little research and also have some pride. Us working people who take care of ourselves are willing to give up the widescreen and a fast car to protect our families and have some character. You don't have ANY character and are a lazy leech with your hand out asking for more "free" stuff that I, and everyone else who has character, must pay for. How does it feel to be a lazy leech?

September 17, 2010 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  25. Jed

I travel a lot and all over the country, politicians are running ads telling us how they're "not like those other guys in Washington." Yeah right.

September 17, 2010 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |