September 18th, 2010

O’Donnell in 1999: I dabbled in witchcraft

(CNN) – Newly-minted Delaware Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell – who already has had to contend with a string of controversial statements she has made in the past – once said she “dabbled into witchcraft.”

The latest eyebrow-raising comment was revealed Friday by liberal comedian and talk show host Bill Maher, who, as host of the now-canceled show “Politically Incorrect,” had O’Donnell on his program several times as a guest.

“I dabbled into witchcraft - I never joined a coven. But I did, I did. ... I dabbled into witchcraft,” O’Donnell said during a 1999 appearance on the show, which ran on ABC. “I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do.”

She then described one of her first dates – with a witch “on a satanic altar.”

“I didn't know it,” she said. “I mean, there's little blood there and stuff like that. We went to a movie and then had a midnight picnic on a satanic altar.”

Maher showed the clip Friday on his HBO show, “Real Time with Bill Maher,” and pledged to unveil additional clips every week if O’Donnell does not appear on his current show.

A spokesman for the O’Donnell campaign did not respond to CNN’s request for comment.

O’Donnell, the Tea Party-backed candidate who scored a surprise win over establishment pick Rep. Mike Castle on Tuesday, has largely run on a socially conservative platform.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell
  1. Carl Peters

They told us stuff like this would start to circulate around if a tea party person upset an incumbent.

September 18, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  2. Alex in Wisconsin

wow, she really is just like Sarah Palin. I predict that she will lose the election, then go on to make multi-millions of dollars being the perpetual campaigner and propagandist.

Of course if she does when, there is an equal chance that she will quit half way through her term(probably blame the president for something...) and then go on to make multi-millions of dollars being the perpetual campaigner and propagandist

September 18, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  3. Jilli

the real ib September 18th, 2010 3:55 pm ET

I feel sorry for this woman. Wonder how much of this junk is true and how much is lies? She bucked the party and now she will pay with personnel attacks on her from both sides because she didn't fall in line.

There are tons of video of her – her own statements, her own words – how much more validation do you need?

Save your sympathy for the sane folks in DE that may have to live with this clown!

September 18, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  4. JohninTampa

Henry wrote: "...and this is one more prime example of someone Sarah endorses?" If memory serves this is not Sarah's first brush with witches or witch doctors or some such. I think it works like that 'skull and bones' club where they work to promote each others' careers.

September 18, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  5. ANDROLOMA

I'll get you yet, my pretty! And your little dog too!

September 18, 2010 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  6. thomas

Greg ,
    midnight picnic on a satanic altar is not a Liberal teaching !
    Looking into facts , rather then beliefs or opinions is a Liberal teaching.
    The only thing to fear is fear itself and ignorance .

September 18, 2010 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  7. kayway

if she we're actually a REAL politician, with a job, she would be asked to resign, more like forced to. but she has no job, she is much like her idol Sarah, who uses her freedoms of NOT working for the government to disband, divide and corrupt the current government. Once she does get a government job (which will never happen now) I would love to see her say then, "you're not the boss of me" ummmm.......wrong!

September 18, 2010 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |