September 18th, 2010

O’Donnell in 1999: I dabbled in witchcraft

(CNN) – Newly-minted Delaware Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell – who already has had to contend with a string of controversial statements she has made in the past – once said she “dabbled into witchcraft.”

The latest eyebrow-raising comment was revealed Friday by liberal comedian and talk show host Bill Maher, who, as host of the now-canceled show “Politically Incorrect,” had O’Donnell on his program several times as a guest.

“I dabbled into witchcraft - I never joined a coven. But I did, I did. ... I dabbled into witchcraft,” O’Donnell said during a 1999 appearance on the show, which ran on ABC. “I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do.”

She then described one of her first dates – with a witch “on a satanic altar.”

“I didn't know it,” she said. “I mean, there's little blood there and stuff like that. We went to a movie and then had a midnight picnic on a satanic altar.”

Maher showed the clip Friday on his HBO show, “Real Time with Bill Maher,” and pledged to unveil additional clips every week if O’Donnell does not appear on his current show.

A spokesman for the O’Donnell campaign did not respond to CNN’s request for comment.

O’Donnell, the Tea Party-backed candidate who scored a surprise win over establishment pick Rep. Mike Castle on Tuesday, has largely run on a socially conservative platform.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell
  1. Not Surprised!

I always knew The Anti-Christ was a woman... but I thought it was Sarah Palin!

September 18, 2010 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  2. Darryl Schmitz

Yellow journalism, going strong in the year 2010. Okay, CNN cub reporters... maybe a little reporting about her positions on the issues, please? We can let somebody else (CBS loves to do it) report on this kind of stuff.

September 18, 2010 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  3. jules sand-perkins

Maybe that's why she did so well in this primary.
    Certainly, we all know she has a Constitutional right to avoid the Church of England–or any church, for that matter.
    As long as Ms. O'Donnell doesn't advocate raising taxes, she and I will get along very well.

September 18, 2010 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  4. She did what?

And so many Republicans proclaimed Pres. Obama to be the anti-Christ.

September 18, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  5. jim

This POS is what the Republicans want to offer us? They must be anxious to repeat their 2008 seizure of defeat from the jaws of victory!

September 18, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  6. Willa-PA

OMG! if dems would say something like that there would be ads out everwhere requesting to burn them at the stake. And SHE may be becoming a possible US Senator!!!

September 18, 2010 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  7. A disgusted former Republican

Sounds like a good Teabagger/republican wingnut candidate to me. She seems to be right up there with Sarah Palin and the Newtster.

September 18, 2010 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  8. Tony in Maine

Bill Maher is that rarest of rare political creatures – a liberal libertarian. I guess what this means is that he's a real libertarian, not one who thinks freedom for me, but not for thee – like most of the tea partiers.

September 18, 2010 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. Shakes

I hope this means she will forever be thought of as a witch, that goes to satanic alters to meet men. I'm just using the same logic the tea party uses when they talk of President Obama being a muslim.

September 18, 2010 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. GrogInOhio

Stay classy Tea Party...

September 18, 2010 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  11. dodsoal

After 8 years of Dick Chaney evil and politics should be old hat to the Repubs.

September 18, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  12. patnamm

And the comment, that if during the war if she were hiding Jews in her house and that if hitler had asked her if she was had Jews in her house, she would tell him the truth, because she must always tell the truth...
    Even Rahab had to lie to save the Jewish spies to allow them to go back and give report to the Israelites. If you check in the Genealogy of Christ in the book of Matthew, chapter 1, Rahab is mentioned.
    Sometimes, girl, it is okay to tell a harmless lie than a harmful truth.

September 18, 2010 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  13. key

Do Tea Party people venture to find out who these people are before they support them. Are anybody that screams socialism is ok.

September 18, 2010 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  14. the real ib

I feel sorry for this woman. Wonder how much of this junk is true and how much is lies? She bucked the party and now she will pay with personnel attacks on her from both sides because she didn't fall in line.

September 18, 2010 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  15. Henry

and this is one more prime example of someone Sarah endorses? What has this country come to? Perhaps all this craziness was always on our doorstep, but not kows to us without the ever present media?

September 18, 2010 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. Mort

Tea Baggers...the gift that keeps on giving

September 18, 2010 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. musician

Oh boy. The gift that keeps on giving. Thank you, Christine, for reaffirming the notion that the tea party and their beloved rock stars have indeed set up camp in looneyville.

September 18, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  18. Seattle Sue

The Tea Party claims Pelosi is a witch and here Maher has O'Donnell on tape admitting she tried witchcraft. With all the other things coming out about this woman/witch, Delaware are you sure you want her as your Senator?

September 18, 2010 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  19. gg

She is part of the reich wing coven dominating Republicans politics... O'Donnell, Palin, Bachmann, Sharron Angle, Carly Fiorina, Meg Whitman, Virginia Foxx, Phyllis Schlafly, Ann Colter, MIchelle Malkin. All practitioners of the dark arts!

September 18, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  20. greg

yet Obama who is still married to his first wife, trying to be a daddy to his own kids and excuse me trying to keep people working is a bad(marxist,communisy,hitler,blah blah blah) person. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 18, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  21. Tristan

I'm begining to like her.

September 18, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  22. Texas Progressive

The same folks who continue and try to label the President a Muslim will accept somebody who "dabbled" in witchcraft. The right-wing circus train keeps adding new acts!

September 18, 2010 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. Greg

The devil you say...she was a witch. How does one become an Un-witch.

September 18, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. greg

teabaggers do no research, vetting, legwork. they just spout out the first thing on their brains and damn the rest.

September 18, 2010 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. Craig

Ralph – making someone who seeks a government-paid job representing taxpayers take responsibility for statements that they clearly made publicly is not blackmail. It's called keeping our elected representatives accountable, and in my book, that is a good thing.

If O'Donnell can't take the heat, she should get out of the kitchen.

September 18, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |