September 18th, 2010

O’Donnell in 1999: I dabbled in witchcraft

(CNN) – Newly-minted Delaware Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell – who already has had to contend with a string of controversial statements she has made in the past – once said she “dabbled into witchcraft.”

The latest eyebrow-raising comment was revealed Friday by liberal comedian and talk show host Bill Maher, who, as host of the now-canceled show “Politically Incorrect,” had O’Donnell on his program several times as a guest.

“I dabbled into witchcraft - I never joined a coven. But I did, I did. ... I dabbled into witchcraft,” O’Donnell said during a 1999 appearance on the show, which ran on ABC. “I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do.”

She then described one of her first dates – with a witch “on a satanic altar.”

“I didn't know it,” she said. “I mean, there's little blood there and stuff like that. We went to a movie and then had a midnight picnic on a satanic altar.”

Maher showed the clip Friday on his HBO show, “Real Time with Bill Maher,” and pledged to unveil additional clips every week if O’Donnell does not appear on his current show.

A spokesman for the O’Donnell campaign did not respond to CNN’s request for comment.

O’Donnell, the Tea Party-backed candidate who scored a surprise win over establishment pick Rep. Mike Castle on Tuesday, has largely run on a socially conservative platform.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell
  1. NotALemming

Liberals tell us that Islam is OK, if not encouraged. Build a mosque on top of Ground Zero they say. OK, fine, then what's the difference here?

September 18, 2010 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. Stephen

I'm reminded of Sista Sarah standing there being prayed over by a witch doctor from Africa. Now we have this, not to mention Rand Paul and "Aqua Bhudda". Republican hypocrisy as usual.

September 18, 2010 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  3. Christian who Knows better

Wow!, What is that, I just got my post about how ignorant this candidate about religion. Maybe it was my fact statement about how Christianity and Satanism believe in the same God. Or was it saying Satan a lot and how Witches and Satan don't work together? It's sad she doesn't know she was used on that date. Ha ha, and now Delaware wants to put an idiot in office.

September 18, 2010 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  4. Richard Perlman

The Internal Revenue Service Notice of Federal Tax Line is a matter of public record. Anyone in the United States may look at the IRS Notice of Federal Tax Lien.
    If the IRS has not recorded a subsequent "Release of Federal Tax Lien" then she still owes the IRS for unpaid IRS tax, penalties, and interest.

I am a former IRS employee, the news media should focus on the IRS Notice of Federal Tax Lien (NFTL) not the nut job silly stuff.

September 18, 2010 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  5. Eric

And Obama's great-grandmama wore chicken bones through her nose,

September 18, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. get real

ridiculous libs....i thought your progressive and open minds would embrace someone trying new things.....

September 18, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  7. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Why do think Palin backed her, birds of a feather flock together.

September 18, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. Up And Down

Can this be any worse that the Evil occupying the White House? And why should it matter when so many liberals are squawking about keeping religion out of politics? If you folks from Delaware want to vote against her, do it for her views on matters that mean something. Don't forget, she said she only "dabbled" in it, just like Bubba Clinton said when he smoked dope but did not "inhale."

September 18, 2010 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. get real

progressives/libs.....open minded as long as you agree w/them..

September 18, 2010 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. Lost Decade

Hey mandy,(first post), nice try trying to change the subject but doesn't it matter to you at all that this wingnut is on record saying this? The gop has become a joke, were still waiting on sen. McConnell's policy statement of what the gop would actually do if elected. He is smart to stall because we all know there are no new ideas just the same trickle down giveaways to the richest and deregulation.

September 18, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  11. Mick

Obama followed one of the looniest preachers in America for 20 years, but the Obama loving media refused to talk about it. But they'll throw every piece of mud they can find at this woman and any other tea party candidate.

September 18, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  12. mel from ohio

I think the Tea Partiers should be down the rabbit hole with the MAD HATTER for his tea party because that's where they belong...in looneyville!!!!!

September 18, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  13. Jon

Anyone familiar with Wicca should find this story a bit dubious, or at least O'Donnell's alleged descriptions of it. Real-world "witches" do not practice Satanism, but instead a form of nature worship that is entirely seperate from the Judeo-Christian models of theology. Frankly, if she did dabble in witchcraft, that would be a selling point these days in her favor. It would counter-balance some of the militant religious infiltration of the "us versus them" attitudes dominating American politics. That, and they'd push for womens' equality, environmental resposibility, and a host of other issues desperately in need of better representation.

September 18, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. gh

O'Donnel is a con artist. As with every con, she knows how to sell herself. She is not someone this country or the state of Delaware needs in Washington to represent the people. PLEASE Delaware DO NOT VOTE THIS WOMAN INTO OFFICE.

September 18, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  15. Jeff

Is this woman not just the greatest candidate ever???!!! God, she just keeps on giving us the most bizarre , weird, and ownderful headlines. She really should live in South Carolina to blend in more.

September 18, 2010 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. Christine Coven Queen

Hi my name is Christine O'Donnell and I LOVE to kiss the Goat on his little ole backside when I dance around the fire!

September 18, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  17. fatima

She is a big "0". I hope her 15 minutes of fame is over and people will realize it and vote for some one with true credentials, life time achievements and experience and not for "loser" like her.

September 18, 2010 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  18. midnitejax

This is hilarious. I saw the program with Bill Mahre, and found it to be very revealing about who she really is. She has changed her mind about everything she originally stated. I think this is a revelation about the party she represents.

September 18, 2010 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. get real

is it politically incorrect to witch bash? hmmmmm. what happened to tolerance? where's the love lefties?

September 18, 2010 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. Bob of Lompoc

What does she mean, she "used to dabble in witchcraft"? I see it as a current behavior pattern. BTW, when she played with witchcraft, is she the evil one who gave birth to Limbaugh?

September 18, 2010 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. Dan

The great media that was so effective in hiding Rev. Jeremiah Wright and the loons and shady dealing on Obama side (his house buying process for example), is now hunting right wing regular guys being candidates!

Enough with the double standard. Write about the church of Obama, about his house buying, about his friends on the south side (ex domestic terrorists) and leave the regular guys running as tea party members alone!

O'Donnell is the new Palin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 18, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Rebecca Berlier

I cannot believe she admitted that to the public! No way will I ever vote for her. This country needs to cry out for God to help us, or there is no hope

September 18, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Paula

No NO DeLAWARE does not want her as our Senator!!! Don't worry, we won't let you down...SHE WILL NOT WIN!

Bill...lets see more...I know you got even better than this!! Bring it on!!

September 18, 2010 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  24. paul

All I have to say is WOW! This women really means everything she says too. She is as crazy as they come, or is there more to come. All I have to say to Democrats and Independents is GET OUT AND VOTE, so these people do not get into the government.

September 18, 2010 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  25. ficheye

Ahhh, another quality candidate sponsored by the Tea party. First there was Sarah and the witch doctor.... now this. I can see a trend! Next, the satan worshippers! Whatever it takes to win hearts and minds.

September 18, 2010 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |