September 18th, 2010

O’Donnell in 1999: I dabbled in witchcraft

(CNN) – Newly-minted Delaware Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell – who already has had to contend with a string of controversial statements she has made in the past – once said she “dabbled into witchcraft.”

The latest eyebrow-raising comment was revealed Friday by liberal comedian and talk show host Bill Maher, who, as host of the now-canceled show “Politically Incorrect,” had O’Donnell on his program several times as a guest.

“I dabbled into witchcraft - I never joined a coven. But I did, I did. ... I dabbled into witchcraft,” O’Donnell said during a 1999 appearance on the show, which ran on ABC. “I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do.”

She then described one of her first dates – with a witch “on a satanic altar.”

“I didn't know it,” she said. “I mean, there's little blood there and stuff like that. We went to a movie and then had a midnight picnic on a satanic altar.”

Maher showed the clip Friday on his HBO show, “Real Time with Bill Maher,” and pledged to unveil additional clips every week if O’Donnell does not appear on his current show.

A spokesman for the O’Donnell campaign did not respond to CNN’s request for comment.

O’Donnell, the Tea Party-backed candidate who scored a surprise win over establishment pick Rep. Mike Castle on Tuesday, has largely run on a socially conservative platform.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell
  1. ThinkAgain

Wow ... haven't the teabaggers heard of vetting? This is what you get when all you care about is how a person looks and whether they're willing to spout your talking points!

All that aside, I think what this really says about O'Donnell is she is someone who goes to extremes looking for something to believe in. While I think spiritual exploration is fine, I always worry about folks who go from one extreme to another. They tend to be extreme and rigid in their views, very judgmental of others.

Not the kind of person you want during this time of challenges and the need for results, not ideologues more concerned about scoring political points with their base.

September 18, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. themoi

Not all witchcraft is the same. Sounds like she was dealing in Satan worship vs. Wicca which is a worship of the earth and nature. Lovely. And you all just elected her. Sounds like another loose cannon along the lines of Palin.

September 18, 2010 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. ItsJustMe

And these people are afaid of Obama?!?!? Idiots!

September 18, 2010 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. American Patriot

I can't believe the liberal elite drive-by media is smearing another conservative.....oh, wait, my bad.....they're just reporting FACTS. How dare they report facts? It's just disgusting. I'm going back to Fox; they don't bother with pesky objective data: they just tell me what Republicans want me to hear.

September 18, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  5. Bill

Why does CNN hate the GOP?

September 18, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  6. Guess Who

The hope was, when America elected someone like Obama it was to be a testament unto itself and the rest of the world we are getting better. The expectation of any challenger/opposition was to do even better, take it to a higher level. Instead, they are being driven by hatred for Obama, set forth by an evil maestro, Rush Limbaugh. I believe folks like Huckabee and Palin has it in their hearts to do good, but also lies in our hearts the ability to do evil. In time the truth will be revealed.

September 18, 2010 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  7. Chris

Obviously, it worked for her like a charm...

September 18, 2010 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  8. jim

Keep attacking the tea party and calling them names.This just helps them win more as people interact with them and find out what they believe in is not what liberals/progressives say about them.

September 18, 2010 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  9. Fake News IS Un-American Owned By An Australian & A Saudi

It's ALL make believe! Fairies, gods, witches...is this Narnia???

September 18, 2010 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. Val in MA

I am a conservative Republican from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. From the very first moment I laid my eyes on this woman I did not like her – she seemed all fake to me from the very beginning. I wish Tea Party vetted this candidate before they threw their support behind her – now the liberals will surely say that all Tea Party members are just like Christine. Big mistake Tea Party – you chose a big loser this time and I feel really sad.

September 18, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. walleye46

After 8 years of Bush/Cheney, witchcraft would come easy to the tea baggers.

September 18, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. Meteorite

Another GOP hypocrite. Spewing rhetoric about being good Christians, and secretly worshipping Satan. What next, a lesbian vampire hindu fundamentalist anarchist?

September 18, 2010 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. Hurry

Tea buggers will soon drink humble tea

September 18, 2010 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  14. Mike

Ok, so the Dems elected a member of the KKK (yet they call the republicans racist), they elected an alcoholic that left the scene of a fatal crash, the elected a president that smoked pot “but didn’t inhale”, and the elected another president that has never held a real job and admits to using cocaine. They constantly complain about Christianity, but they are demonizing a woman because she dabbled in which craft in her 20’s. I’m just wondering, are you guys the pot or the kettle?

September 18, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  15. ann

I am so afraid for this great country.....I urge all Democrates to vote...please....we cannot let these idiots drive this country to hell....VOTE to keep American in the hands of the sane!

September 18, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  16. Max

Wait til November election, libs. LOL. Keep talking. LMAO.

September 18, 2010 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Rob R

Well, we certainly now know why Palin loves her.

HOPEFULLY, us Dems have learned our lesson from the election of Scott Brown and need to realize that no matter how cooky these candidates are, we still need to go out and vote to make sure they don't win.

And if she does win....thank god for presidential vetoes, because I suspect we will be seeing a lot of them if the Rethuglicants take the majority.

September 18, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  18. still-life

It's people like her that give witchcraft a bad name...

September 18, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  19. JohninTampa

This has gotta stop. Or I have to stop reading. At this rate i will die laughing before Nov.

September 18, 2010 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. Andy

This woman is the gift that keeps on giving. Of course, in the real world, all this craziness would discount her immediately, but in the flailing republican party she's the queen bee.

C'mon America – now is not the time for electing crackpots, there's too many serious issues facing this country.

September 18, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  21. ANNE K.

Are you kidding me? How can someone like this possibly make things better? She sounds like she is at least 2 bricks short of a load! Maybe you need to write in Mike Castle after all!

September 18, 2010 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  22. Ouch

The Democratic Party simply doesn't like attractive women. So, she's a little silly. I mean it's not like she's claiming to have brought peace to Northern Ireland or crawled to safety amidst sniper fire in Bosnia. And (at least so far) leaders of her church don't condemn America. And if Maher is so interested in showing clips from his old show, why doesn't he show the one where he badmouthed the U.S. troops.

September 18, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  23. Becky

Tea Party politics of the absurd right here on your computer or TV screen. Ain't America wonderful?

September 18, 2010 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  24. Mobius007

It's good to see she partices conservative religious values – Satanic conservative religious values, that is. ;-)

Don't we already have enough "devils" in the government?

September 18, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  25. waitaminute

:headdesk: Seriously?
    What the hell does "witchcraft" have to do with "satanic altars"?!?
    She should have said that she dabbled in SATANISM. And wouldn't that have set off the right wingers and GOP.
    Big difference between pagan witches (non-christian) and satanists (christian).
    She clearly isn't bright enough to know the difference between the two nor does she havev very good judgement. Or a very good memory.

September 18, 2010 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |