September 19th, 2010

Kaine says health care legislation helping Dems

(CNN) - Several House Democrats who voted against the health care overhaul earlier this year are now touting their “no” vote back home, but Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine said the legislation is beneficial to the party's chances this November as a whole.

"I travel all over the country. I guess I've been in about 42 states, and most Democrats that I see on the trail are very proud of the accomplishment and they're talking about it," he said on CNN's “State of The Union” with Candy Crowley Sunday.

Perhaps the most striking example of a Democrat seeking to capitalize on his opposition to the measure came Friday, when Texas Rep. Chet Edwards launched a television ad touting the fact he “stood up” to President Barack Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on health care. The longtime congressman, once on Obama’s shortlist for a running mate, now faces an uphill battle for re-election in his conservative-leaning Texas district.

“Some, particularly House members in districts that, you know, can often get gerrymandered and become tough districts are distancing themselves from the health care bill,” Kaine said. “I don't tell people how to run their races, but I've been on a ballot seven times and won seven races, and in my experience, you ought to be proud of what you're doing and promote the accomplishments.”

Kaine also suggested the current conventional wisdom – that Republicans are likely to make massive gains in both the House and Senate this November – will not be borne out.

“I don't think you're going to see us lose either house, because I think we've got good candidates,” he said. “I think the Republicans are moving way to the right of the American electorate. And we're pretty good at the field side of politics, which is what we're focused on between now and November 2. “

Filed under: issues • Tim Kaine
  1. Snow

Kaine keeps saying I think, I think, I think but in reality he should be saying I know we are going to get our butts handed to us in November but I guess he has to put on a happy face because he is not on a demorat ballot. He must be surrounded by moochers when he says all he hears is positives for bambies health care "deformity". So demorats please go out there and tout your yes vote for all of bambies spending.

September 19, 2010 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  2. Morty

What a joke!

Kaine must be out of his mind from being brain washed by obama and his group of racist dividers.

September 19, 2010 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  3. vic, Nashville TN

1) Democrats don’t know how to sell their own products the truth is democrats need more Clintons
    2) Democrats give more important to election than policy

September 19, 2010 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  4. GI Joe

The main criticism from a Dem in one of the MOST redneck states (except Miss., Ga, SC) and it's a problem?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

September 19, 2010 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  5. jim in Va

Kaine is sadly mistaken if he thinks healthcare reform is helping the democratic cause for dems running in the state of VA.Most of the dems want to run away from their votes, if they voted in favor of this piece of legislation. It is very unpopular here.

September 19, 2010 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  6. diridi

I think all democrats need to stay together....okay, I do not care what anyone says or thinks, this health care passage is a milestone in American History....some of the idiotic GOP thugs nag, brag, and do every thing to nasty courses. It is GOP's detriment and death and demise from the picture, whether it is Tea Party Republicans, or regular GOP thugs....Regarding Forbes allegation, Dinesh D'Souza is a total idiot. Based on this India's idiot, I do not know why Forbes is printing such a stupid and nasty stuff....This old idiot, Jim Demint, R-SC does not talk like he has any brain...just like old thug, for selfish reasons...so do not vote any GOP or Tea Party thugs, It causes for the detriment of our great nation...God Bless the nation, the USA!!!!

September 19, 2010 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  7. Anonymous

The watered down health reform bill will do some good. and at worst, its a start.
    What is needed, is the meat addee back in so make it the reform we hoped for and voted the Democrats and Obama in office to provide.

September 19, 2010 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  8. New Age Independant

It seems Democrats are in denial if they think the Health Care legislation is helping them. They always fall back on the name calling, race card, etc when they cant talk about policy. I think the American people have had enough of their greed and corruption.

September 19, 2010 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  9. Democants

Kaine will be thrown out after november he is not even allowed back in Va.

September 19, 2010 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  10. g

how come when republicans are in power they say its not the goverment job to create jobs,but when the democrates are in power the republicans say where are the jobs mr. goverment, the only way to keep middle class strong and working is MADE IN AMERICA ON THE LABLE, republicans are destroying the country

September 19, 2010 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  11. Sue

Mr. Kaine.......If Obamacare is so popular, why are Democratic politicians running away from it, Obama, Pelosi, and Reid.

However, as others have said.........You must put on a happy face, no matter what the 'reality' of the situation is.

Only 44 more days until Christmas in November........Do you think that Obozo will have the economy/unemployment turned around by then???

I can see November from my house.......And, the November elections are going to make history-–as Obama, Pelosi, Reid and their merry band of marxists/socialit liberals are going to be sent to the unemployment lines in record numbers.

September 19, 2010 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  12. Jerry - Florida

President NObama must, at least, be a good teacher. His lapdogs have really learned the art of lying. And Candy Crowley, of course, continues to make it possible for them continue their lying ways.

Mr. Kaine has really become very adept at it. I wonder what spiked CoolAid batch he's been drinking from. These Democrats are so insensitive that they have the gall to essentially look at Americans in the face and continue their smoke and mirror tactics.

America, don't be fooled by all these lies. Stand up, be proud and unafraid. We are almost there!!!

September 19, 2010 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  13. Annie, Atlanta

New Age Independent – where have you been the last few decades? Greed and corruption on the part of the Dems?

What about the Republicans? They are now a wholly owned subsidiary of corporate America and Wall Street?

What about the tea baggers? A wholly owned subsidiary of Koch Industries.

And these wholly owned subsidiaries are designed to keep the status quo – making corporate America richer by giving them tax breaks (or no taxes at all) and keeping pesky regulation from infringing on their endeavors to make as much money as possible, even if they have to kill (in the case of big insurance) to do it.

But the Dems are greedy and corrupt. You make me laugh when I'm not crying at your ignorance.

September 19, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  14. hal

Kaine- you are joking.....right?!

September 19, 2010 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  15. Triple A

The health care bill will help...those that voted no that is.

September 19, 2010 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  16. Terry McKinley

Republicans and Democrats, alike, will enjoy the benefits of Obama's courage and initiative - and rail against him nonetheless - it's politics in America. We can't be honest about anything any more - just fight for our team, no matter what the truth is. Hopefully there are enough thinking people out there who we can depend on to protect our country from this thoughtlessness.

September 19, 2010 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  17. malabar

2 of my most liberal frnds, both minorities like me, have told me they will likely hold their noses and vote R in nov. only 1 of them knws i switchd to repub a few yrs ago and the other thnks i am still as blue as him. surprise

September 19, 2010 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  18. Dave

How come Crowley never challenges these people in terms of being serious about their answer. She allows them to just spew nonsense.

September 19, 2010 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  19. Lib Hunter

Sometimes I wish that I could just have the anti American Radical Liberal Mindset for just a minute or two. I always wondered what it is like to live in the Land of Oz. Hey Kaine, how is your pet unicorn doing?

September 19, 2010 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  20. Ancient Texan

Just keep believing that counter-clockwise spin, Mr. Kaine. The healthcare law was a total disaster, raising the cost of healthcare, and offering the potential to bankrupt the country along with the small businesses in America.

September 19, 2010 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  21. Darrell

So, those who oppose healthcare reform, how many do you favor allowing insurance companies to not insure your child because of a pre-existing condition? Yeah, I thought so. You want your child to be covered so that he/she can get the treatment they need. You people should open your eyes...the Republicans want to let you fools suffer and take money from the wealthy insurance companies...I just hope and pray that your child does not need treatment and an insurance company turns you down because of pre-existing condition.

September 19, 2010 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  22. annie s

Personally, I've tried to donate a few dollars to the opponents of every Democrat who voted against the Health care bill – because in reality what they voted against was saving thousands of American lives every year.

September 19, 2010 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  23. KatR

Why is it that those who are against President Obama use childish language and labels? Obozo, Odummo, libtard, etc. In 40 years of voting I've never heard such childish, hateful rhetoric directed at the current President. and I've never witnessed a Congress where one party has stood shoulder to shoulder and voted no based on party ideology. When one political party in Congress votes based on what his/her fellow party members believe they are not representing the citizens of their respective state or district. I think our founding fathers would have called these tactics "mob rule".

September 19, 2010 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  24. crush

Nobody appreciates what HAS to be done. We are in a recession that has seriously effected or damaged the livelihoods of over 50 million Americans. These are the voters who will count at the polls. These are the voters who will make the difference. Tea Party people are just impatient republicans driven by GOP propaganda.

September 19, 2010 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  25. What is Kaine smoking.......

Americans are AGAINST ObamaCare...period......read the polls....Pelosi, Reid and the rest of the Soviet hacks are going down.....

September 19, 2010 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |