September 20th, 2010

O'Donnell brushes off Rove criticisms

Delaware GOP Senate nominee O'Donnell tweeted late Sunday night that if she had the powers of a witch, Karl Rove would back her candidacy.

Washington (CNN) – Christine O'Donnell appears to be trying to use humor to defuse a decades-old admission that she once "dabbled into witchcraft," which prompted leading Republican strategist Karl Rove to urge the Delaware GOP Senate nominee to further explain her statement.

Rove, on "Fox News Sunday," said that O'Donnell "can't simply ignore" the fact that she said during a 1999 episode of "Politically Incorrect" that "I dabbled into witchcraft – I never joined a coven. But I did, I did. … I dabbled into witchcraft." O'Donnell also said during the taping of the show that one of her first dates with a witch was "on a satanic altar."

O'Donnell tweeted late Sunday night that if she had the powers of a witch then Rove would be backing her candidacy.

"I did comment that if I were a witch, Rove would be a supporter," O'Donnell wrote on the microblog. "I would have turned him into a "Newt", because Gingrich says we win."

O'Donnell is referring to former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who has expressed support for her campaign. O'Donnell, a social conservative and Tea Party-favorite candidate, shocked the political world last week when she defeated GOP establishment-backed Rep. Mike Castle for the right to run as the Republican nominee for Senate in November.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell • Karl Rove
  1. greg in jax

So they are trying to diminish her "crazy" my making her the victim Of the Big Bad karl rove. We're not falling for any of your trickery mr rove. Move On.

September 20, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  2. cassamandra

"decades," CNN, really? that would be at least twenty years....seems to me that exactly 11 have passed. That's one decade.

September 20, 2010 07:55 am at 7:55 am |
  3. JonDie

O'Donnell says if she were a witch, Rove would back her"

First, of he would. Why wouldn't her.

But second and more importantly, I think O'Donnell may be channeling O.J. Simpson with her comment "if I were a witch." When does the book come out?

September 20, 2010 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  4. Henry Miller, Libertarian

"Witchcraft" is no nuttier than Christianity, and no less. They both deal in absurd mumbo-jumbo, and I don't really understand why anyone cares about what flavour of nuttiness O'Donnell practices.

September 20, 2010 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  5. scott

It doesn't matter what any Republican candidate does or has done, the GOP voters will vote for them regardless putting their party over their country.
    That's tragic.

September 20, 2010 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  6. Bassman

Liberals, 08 voters, and the media decided that past associates
    ( IE: Rev. Wright) do not matter. I would not be surprised if Bill Maher defended Pres. Obama's association with Rev. Wright. And it does not surprise me that the media would defend defended Obama and Rev. Wright, yet attack Christine O'Donnell.

September 20, 2010 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  7. Von Bismark

This is pure canibalism brewing within the GOP.

September 20, 2010 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  8. RedMan, Canada

Her base doesn't care. After all she didn't say she dabbled in Islam, just witchcraft. It's the Muslims that are the bad guys to the ultra-right. Witchcraft is just a lady being open-minded no?

So long as she parrots the talking points about Obama being a "socialist", or "Marxist" or whatever and says "taxes bad", and "freedom good" – her base will be energized.

September 20, 2010 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  9. Ric

*L*...this girl is toast. I know it, she knows it, and everyone reading this article knows it.

September 20, 2010 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  10. Sally

I love how she justified it by saying that everyone did stupid things as a teen. No, Christine, we didn't. I never "dabbled into witch craft." I never drank, I never did drugs, and I was a virgin when I got married, after obtaining a college degree. And I'm one of those hated liberal Christian Democrats you are so fond of trashing. I also believe in the sanctity of all life, not just the unborn. I believe in a social safety net, that all war is unjust, and that people are ultimately responsible for decisions they make that affect others. Education is vital to the strength of this nation, and when people run for office, they need to show more than parroting the Palin lines while living off the largesse of people who sent money for their campaigns. I thought you folks were for personal responsibility and truth? Right, for everyone else.

September 20, 2010 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  11. Dan, TX

She believes that government rights trump personal rights. She is a socialist. You may not have an abortion under any circumstance. So, that means the government is now responsible for finding a home for the unwanted child or finding a family to adopt a baby born to an HIV-infected crack addict. The taxpayers will be subsidizing this socialism with tax money to raise someone else's kid. Just have all the kids you can, the government will pay for it.

September 20, 2010 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  12. 1776Federalist

C'mon, guys that was in HIGH SCHOOL! And she also wasn't aware that the date she had was on an altar. She was taken there by the guy she was on the date with. Kids in high school are looking around them at the world and trying to figure out where they fit in. Whether it be smoking, drinking, sports, stage, magic, or whatever else, they are just trying to find something that they can call "theirs". Obviously, she is attending a Christian church and isn't a witch. This is ridiculous to try to discredit her candidacy for something in high school.

September 20, 2010 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  13. slipthalo

Palin and O'Donnell – both have witchcraft in their past and they are both the darlings of the Tea Party set? Perhaps a change in name to the Casting Spells Party?

September 20, 2010 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  14. Monrob

I don't know if she is a witch or not, but if she is running she should keep her appointments and go on television as planned. She bowed out on two this past Sunday.

This woman is another Palin in the making. Are we sure we need this GOP?

September 20, 2010 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  15. Tammy

"Decades old"? Not quite. 1999 was only 11 years ago - that's barely over one decade.

September 20, 2010 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  16. audrey

I think that we should give Ms ODonald a chance, because we have all did things and said things in our life-time. Especially when we we in high school.
    Audrey

September 20, 2010 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  17. AEK

Facebook, Twitter and Fox News. Why is it that the current group of Republican candidates for major political office will not talk to the "real" news media? I know their very tired argument is that all the other news outlets distort their positions, but for thinking Americans who generally listen to a candidates words and not the interpretation of those words this is a very frustrating. With Facebook and Twitter the candidates control the message and with Fox News they are lobbed softball questions. I want to hear someone, and I really don't care who, ask them the tough questions that require an actual idea for improving America. I guess Sarah Plain has make quite a good living dabbling is this form of politics and she is the gold standard to these people, so getting a thoughtful, constructive answer is not likely to happen anytime soon.

September 20, 2010 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  18. ST

This lady O'Donnell is full of "mischiefs". I do wonder whether a respectable place like the senate can accommodate such a person!

September 20, 2010 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  19. rosec

She's a republican/tea party candidate....witchcraft sounds about right!! They need some power from another realm to support the foolishness they call a platform!!

September 20, 2010 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  20. bill

eat one another up.repubs you tea baggers are a bunch of loosers.vote dem in nov.

September 20, 2010 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  21. SethC

So she TRIED it and is not a witch, but who are we to judge her heart. She could well have tried it and not liked it. And to some of you here on CNN blogs may like the fact that she did. Don't alot of you seek quick fixes, well this is what a lot of satanic rituals do for you. She since has changed and I like her personally. I think she would make a great candidate. Forget the pass, we all have closets full of old bones including the chief of staff here in America!

September 20, 2010 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  22. Clwyd

Didn't pay her taxes, used campaign funds to pay off mortgage, didn't pay her workers, now this talk about witches. Her own former staff members have done the same ax job on her that Rove did! Why is the republican party turning to nuts to run for office? Maybe that is all the kinds of republicans left in this dying party. It seems to be destroying itself? I hope! When the other nut (Rove) finds fault with his parties candidates maybe it is time to wake up and think before you vote?

September 20, 2010 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  23. John

`Boy i hope Delaware is not dumb too put her into office, she already a crook and she even dabbled in witchcraft. Is this the kind of someone you want as a U.S. SENATE.

September 20, 2010 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  24. JOhn

How embarassing for the republicans.

September 20, 2010 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  25. hjs3

Interesting dinner guest but dunno about that whole Senate thing....:-)

Whacko R Us to be continued...

September 20, 2010 08:36 am at 8:36 am |