September 20th, 2010

Wolf's pick for Monday: Clinton still delivers votes

From Wolf Blitzer, Anchor of CNN's "The Situation Room"

Washington (CNN) - It's amazing how formidable Bill Clinton remains. He's very much a political force in the country. He will be deeply involved in helping Democrats in the weeks leading up to the November 2 elections.

Clinton can certainly raise money for candidates but, more importantly, he can help deliver votes. I think it's fair to say many - not all, but many - Democrats in deep trouble right now would welcome some help from him. They might even prefer him over President Obama in their districts.

I've been thinking about him because I will be in New York Tuesday at his Clinton Global Initiative to interview him. It will be my third interview with him this year. I spent some time with him in Washington on the 15th anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing and, more recently, at the Fortune-Time-CNN Global Forum in Cape Town, South Africa.

ALT TEXT

As CNN's senior White House correspondent during his presidency, I spent a lot of time covering him. For a journalist, it was a great story. He packed so much into those years, and I had a front-row seat. And in the years since, he really hasn't slowed down – whether in Haiti, Indonesia or Rwanda. He remains a global force – thanks to his Clinton Global Initiative.

He's recently lost nearly 30 pounds and his daughter got married. His wife is the secretary of state. I have lots of questions for him, but would be happy to hear what you would ask him.

The interview will air Tuesday in "The Situation Room" from 5 to 7 p.m. ET.

1. OBAMA YOU CAN'T STAND THE TRUTH!!!

Two idiots on deck.

September 20, 2010 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. j

I didn't vote for Bill Clinton though I think he turned out to be a decent president and I've been fairly impressed with every interview I've seen with him since. He's intelligent and dedicated to a cause. I think he's a good spokesperson for the Democrats. In my opinion, the Democrats have some good, intelligent leaders. People really ought to take notice.

September 20, 2010 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  3. The incompetent Barrack Hussien Obama

Clinton can stand on the sidelines and make more (obama like) false promises all day long becasue he doesn't have to deliver.

Whether some of Slick Willy's comments are right or wrong, it doesn't matter because he never has to WALK THE TALK.

He's done. He can't be el Presidente again in the US. He can go run for President in Mexico if he so desires.

September 20, 2010 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. Claudia, Houston, Tx

President Clinton is undoubtedly one of the smartest persons who can deliver a message of common sense and simplicity, if you have your listening ears on and that's a problem for most Americans. We need to all raise the bar and stop believing all the kooks running around telling us the "sky is falling in", you know who they are.

September 20, 2010 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  5. hal

It's sad that a former president can help candidates. What does that say about the president?!

September 20, 2010 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. jim

Show me where the presence of Bill Clinton has made a difference in the outcome of a primary. Wolf is starting to let his true feelings and his partisian views be made public.And how much difference did that force make for Hillary in the last election when campaignimg for his wife to be the nominee.

September 20, 2010 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  7. diridi

of course, we dearly love pres. clinton...pres. clinton, nation is in grave threats from stupid, idiotic GOP thugs...please help Pres. Obama. After having heard Obama's town hall meeting in cnbc....very much impressed, talked truth....I vote for him...and direct democratic party....I told all in the family.....

September 20, 2010 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  8. terry

How is it possible for Clinton to still wear his wedding ring? Didn't he get caught cheating on his wife and daughter with other women while he was governor and president? Is this the best example of an honest loving father and husband that the democrats can offer? Is this the democrats best example of an honest person? It is because of clinton that I switched from being a democrat to an Independent. How can I show my daughter this guy and be proud of it? I would not let my daughter within 500 yards of this sexual predator.

September 20, 2010 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. Brian O'Connor

Had Clinton only been able to deliver about 5000 Florida votes to Al Gore. We very likely would not be in the mess we are in now, and GW Bush could be off sinking some Internet or Oil company.

September 20, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  10. Mama Bear

He is a natural-born leader that operates from a base of referent power. That's what has been missing on the scene for too many decades!!

September 20, 2010 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  11. Mike

Bill will you please just go away and take that skanky wife of yours with you. Your as bad as Ted Kennedy you just won't go away!

September 20, 2010 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  12. Anonymous

ask him to run for president again

September 20, 2010 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  13. Rhonda Morrison

I am always amazed at his brilliant capacity for remembering facts and statistics. I saw him speak in person in Boone, IA on behalf of Hilary's presidential run in 2008. I was a Hilary supporter. My question for Bill would be: how do you find the time, amidst your busy life and global travels, to keep abreast of all the global and national situations that constantly occur and be SO prepared to make rational judgements backed with correct facts and statistics? You are amazing!! We miss your keen mind and charisma in D.C.!!

September 20, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. Seth Hill

Is our country splitting into endlessly warring tribes?

September 20, 2010 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  15. Marilyn

What does he regret the most that he did not accomplish in his administration?

September 20, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  16. nick lauwers

I would ask him, how Presidents weigh and make their tough decisions. What kinds of methods do they use? How is the decision weighed? Another question I would ask is about the integration of US and Canadian security forces as well as economic interests and what North America's goals should be as a continent (a normative question). thanks

September 20, 2010 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  17. Chris Tilley

I would just like to say that i wish there was a way that we could have President Clinton back in the oval office for another term.

September 20, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  18. stufit

This slimeball should really be in prison rather than out raising money for the other corrupt slimeballs that represent the Democrat liberal party. He is a felon and the pride of the democrats, kind of like they made the murderous Teddy Kennedy their hero.

September 20, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  19. JC Esperias

What does 2012 hold for Democrats? And what does it mean for America?

September 20, 2010 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  20. Maggie

Bill didn't stoop to putting up a billboard asking "Miss Me Yet?" He knew the answer without asking the question. Pro or con, one has to admit he knows politics.

September 20, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  21. PAT BELL

I thought President Clinton was a wonderful president , I voted both times for him and would again if he could run. I would like to know what his ideas are on the economy and how he would fix it, he did a great job with it before.

September 20, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  22. Ken Reynolds

Dear President Clinton,
    Do you feel as though any decisions made by your administration could have been a contributing factor in the current "recession" we are currently encountering? Such as some deregulatory measures that were taken on the banking industry.

September 20, 2010 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  23. annie s

Mr. Clinton was a great President. I'd frankly hoped to see Mrs. Clinton be President and appoint her husband to the job she now holds. My question for him would be simply to ask if he'd still like to see her run for his old job, and if so, what they would do differently next time around.

September 20, 2010 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  24. ayman

Mr. President; Although I was born in Kuwait and both my parents are Palestinians born in Palestine, I am a Palestinian and proud of it.
    I admire you for what you have accomplished asa president, and also what you tried to accomplish towards the Arab Israeli conflict.
    My question; on a scale 0-10, and in your scientific guess, what are the chances of imlementing PEACE now.......................

Thank you Mr. President

September 20, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  25. Manny

Do you think the Tea Party will ruin things for the themselves as well as Republicans come Nov elections?

September 20, 2010 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |