September 21st, 2010

Witchcraft and Marxism in Delaware

(CNN) - Delaware Senate nominee Chris Coons tried to set the record straight Tuesday in an interview that covered witchcraft, Marxism and Harry Reid.

When asked by CNN National Political Correspondent Jessica Yellin if Republican Christine O'Donnell's controversial comments about witchcraft over a decade ago were relevant now, Coons said "I really don't think so."

"My opponent spent more than a decade as a pundit on television so there's lots of clips of her saying things that I'm sure she wished that there weren't files of right now," Coons said.

On Fox News Christine O'Donnell addressed the same comments she made to Bill Maher in 1999, calling her experimentation with witchcraft, "teenage rebellion."

"Some people dabble in drugs to rebel, that's how I rebelled. But who didn't do some questionable things in High School" O'Donnell said."I most certainly regret bringing it up to Bill Maher.

Coons and O'Donnell have both defended their pasts recently, a situation Coons called "disappointing."

A college newspaper article written by Coons in which he called himself a "bearded Marxist" drew attention from critics this week. But in an interview that aired on John King, USA, Coons said the article was meant to be, "tongue in cheek."

"I am not now, nor have I ever been a Marxist or an enemy of the people of the United States," Coons said. "What really matters is not what was said in some student newspaper or what was said in some interview 10 or 20 years ago."

Coons also addressed his relationship with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who recently called Coons "my pet."

"I think that was a very unfortunate choice of words on his part," Coons said. "It really doesn't reflect our working relationship or how I would vote if elected to the Senate."

However, Coons said he has talked to Reid several times about his candidacy and received advice and encouragement from him.

Coons and O'Donnell will participate in an debate on October 13 moderated by CNN's lead political anchor Wolf Blitzer and longtime Delaware public television anchor Nancy Karibjanian

Filed under: 2010 • Chris Coons • Christine O'Donnell
  1. banderson

I just finished watching a interview on that friendly to Repubs candidates network where Ms. ODonnell clearly was attacking Mr. Coons.Yet she plays the victim card very well. It is ovbvious that she has taken Quitter Palins advice and decided not to play fair and to only talk to those individuals who will treat her nice. This democracy is slowly but surely disappearing.

September 21, 2010 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  2. Malt

O'Donnell isn't perfect, but sure beats Coon's voting record. O'Donnell for Senate.

September 21, 2010 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  3. Tom in Delaware

Too bad CNN and the rest of the MSM couldn't show clips of the first debate they had last Thursday at the Jewish Community Center....the loudest cheer of the night was when Christine O'Donnell stated her position of repealing ObamaCare and that the govermant had no place to be between a doctor and patient.

Thanx for all the hit pieces on everything else though.....the people of Delaware are tired of it....let's stick with the issues.

NOTE- As of today Chris Coons has the distinction of being the only Democrat in all of America to be actually running on the Democratic Platform instead of running away from it.....either very brave or very stupid.

September 21, 2010 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  4. valwayne

A vote for any Democrat in Nov will be a vote for 9.6% UNEMPLOYMENT, trillions and trillions in corrupt spending and debt, and a vote to let the left wing Elites ruling our nation continue heaping contempt on average working Americans!

September 21, 2010 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  5. barry

He's a Marxist and I am sure Obama wants him on his team. He has also raised taxes extremely high as well yet another reason wants him because he has that experience. If the Democrats win in November and keep the majority get ready for the largest tax hikes in American History. The Obama economic policies haven't worked they have no idea how to create jobs. The borrowed stimulus money has to be paid on so they will raise taxes which will create a depression. All Obama knows is to put Professors in the key roles where it takes experience. Since he hates Businesses he won't bring people who know what they're doing. I am a independent. I voted for John kerry when he ran for Bush. There will be some sheep on here who won't believe me but it is coming if the Democrats keep the majority. You have to pay the deficit point and it's time to pay the piper. No jobs, no economy growth, big deficit, higher taxes will be their answer.

September 21, 2010 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  6. Rick

I put a spell on you!!!!

September 21, 2010 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  7. The reality is...

In regard to Center for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington's bogus accusations against O'Donnell and their executive director Melanie Sloan:

"Sloan denies allegations her group is politically biased "

One doesn't have to search too long to find out this is a false statement. Sloan and her CREW cronies are obviously very liberal and partisan. Check them out, folks, and see for yourselves

September 21, 2010 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  8. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Well, given that Chris Coons has complied with all the FEC rules in terms of campaign contributions (and the fact that he will be only 1 of 535 members of Congress), I am fairly confident that he is the better candidate for the office.

September 21, 2010 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  9. TM

Some political REALITY for Ms. O'Donnell:
    1. There is NO ONE in the US Government for whom "czar" is ANY part of their official title.
    2. The term "czar", as applied to any member of the Administration, was first used by a REPUBLICAN President.
    3. If you are serious about being elected to the Legislative Branch of the US Government, you should FIRST have some knowledge about what the US Constitution ACTUALLY says.

September 21, 2010 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  10. thomas

sad day in America when people look for guidance and leadership from
    the LOST !

September 21, 2010 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  11. Sofie

witches vs marxists – lets grow up and put this cr@p, from when they were both young, to rest. However, it is fair to question campaign funds misappropriation and I notice that question wasn't asked by FOX news when they interviewed Ms O'Donnell. If she has nothing to hide.....have everything audited so she can thumb her nose at her critics....unless she did do it, therefore it is illegal and worth reporting. Same goes for the other guy, if he has something like that going on.

September 21, 2010 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  12. Sofie

Someone asked me what about Rangel and others who have been less than honest.....I say yes, go after anyone who is BUT this girl is running on the Tea Party's mission of change in Washington, so it would help her if she was above reproach.

September 21, 2010 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  13. Malt

O'Donnell isn't ever real news. Basically, Delaware can vote for a crazy liberal or an unusual Republican. I personally would look at Coons terrible voting record and vote for O'Donnell.

September 21, 2010 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  14. me

Will Sarah Palin revoke her endorsement of O'Donnell because she "pals around with witches"?

Go Twins! AL central divisions winners.

September 21, 2010 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  15. John G

I'll take witchcraft over Marxism any day.

September 21, 2010 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  16. Dan, TX

Please don't bother me with Alaska or Delaware. I don't care.

September 22, 2010 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  17. My Soul

odonnell must be what the devil looks like... A she devil...sold her soul.

September 22, 2010 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  18. Keith Sillsbury

I don't know. If you read between the lines it sounds like she was the sacrificial lamb on that alter.

September 22, 2010 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  19. jules sand-perkins

Marxism is real and dangerous: it destroys nations.
    Satanism does not exist except as delusion and fantasy. It has no real power.
    To hold a youthful flirtation with Satanism against O'Donnell is like condemning her for playing a game of Scrabble in high school.

September 22, 2010 06:19 am at 6:19 am |