September 21st, 2010

Rep. Jackson 'deeply sorry,' admits 'social acquaintance '

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. said he is 'deeply sorry' regarding a 'social acquaintance' that may have disappointed some supporters.

(CNN) – A Chicago businessman told federal investigators that Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. asked him to pay for a Washington, D.C. restaurant hostess to fly between Washington and Chicago multiple times, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Tuesday.

Jackson told the paper he was "deeply sorry" that he had "disappointed some supporters," in a written statement.

"The reference to a social acquaintance is a private and personal matter between me and my wife that was handled some time ago. I ask that you respect our privacy," Jackson said in his statement.

Jackson's wife also appealed for privacy in a statement to the Chicago Tribune.

"Today's disclosure, one that my family and I have been privately addressing for several months, is a very private, painful and unfortunate situation. Therefore, I would hope that the public will respect our ongoing personal handling and healing from this matter," Sandi Jackson said.

If Nayak did pay for flights at the request of the Jackson, it may be considered a violation of the House gift ban, which forbids members of Congress from receiving gifts valued over $50.

The Sun-Times also reported that Raghuveer Nayak told the F.B.I. that Jackson asked him fundraise $6 million for former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich in exchange for an appointment to the Senate seat vacated by President Barack Obama.

In the written statement to the Sun-Times, Jackson dismissed the allegations.

"The allegations about fund-raising and the Senate seat are not new. I've already talked with the authorities about these claims, told them they were false, and no charges have been brought against me. The very idea of raising millions of dollars for a campaign other than my own is preposterous. My interest in the Senate seat was based on years of public service, which I am proud of, not some improper scheme with anyone," the statement said.

A House ethics panel said it would investigate Rep. Jackson last year for allegedly launching a "public campaign" to be appointed to the Senate seat. The investigation was deferred at the request of the Justice Department because of the criminal indictment against Blagojevich. In August, the former governor was convicted of lying to federal agents on one of 24 counts brought against him by the government.

Jackson's office has not responded to requests from CNN for comment.

Filed under: Illinois • Jesse Jackson Jr.
  1. DCPinTX

Social aquaintance? The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. I'll bet he's sorry – sorry he got caught.

September 22, 2010 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  2. Wade

Oh the tangled web we weave...
    Why should Mr. Jackson's privacy be respected anymore than say Former Gov. Sanford of S.C.?

Oh that's right... he's a Democrat... I forgot, only Republican's personal lives are supposed to be dragged through the mud via the media.

September 22, 2010 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  3. Datruthbaby

Hes a handsome little kid though, but corrupted.

September 22, 2010 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  4. ON the road

Like father like son. Where is the demand for HIS resignation???

September 22, 2010 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  5. Red by Choice

The legacy of his father, the right Reverend Jesse....... Like father, like son. Will Obama take care of Jackson Jr. as he did the New Black Panther party member? I suppose we'll need to wait and see.

September 22, 2010 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  6. Oreste

The son of a cat,sure catches mices.

September 22, 2010 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  7. Fed Up

How nice! Another fine upstanding politician is proven to be a liar and cheat. Let's get some more of these people to run our country! Vote 'em in. Vote 'em out.

September 22, 2010 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  8. Tinkers Dam

Nothing to see here people....move along. Just your typical crooked Dem who thinks he's above the law.

September 22, 2010 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  9. Tinkers Dam

The acorn don't fall far from the tree!!!

September 22, 2010 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  10. Rich

Like father like son. These holier than thou folk are below contempt. He gives up his privacy once he takes the oath of office. If it had been anyone else he'd be flogging that person.

September 22, 2010 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  11. Anonymous

Like Father , Like son.
    Jesse Sr.'s "love nests" in Chicago are legendary.
    What do we expect.

September 22, 2010 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  12. silvia

I think he is sleazy like his dad.

September 22, 2010 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  13. Tawana

He sure takes after his father...

September 22, 2010 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  14. Dangerous Dan

Like father, like son... I suggest that it is time for the voters of the USA to "drain the swamp" and send scum like this guy packing back to what ever rock they climbed out from under.

September 22, 2010 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  15. ac

Were he a Republican, he would be put out to dry. But he's a Democrat, so it's only a "personal matter." More pro-Democratic, pro-liberal bias from the media.

September 22, 2010 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  16. MarineWill

What is the deal with these Jacksons? Can't they do anything without being caught! He's his father's son!

September 22, 2010 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  17. Heterodoxy

Jackson told the paper he was "deeply sorry" that "word had gotten back to some supporters," in a written statement.

"The reference to a social acquaintance is a private and personal matter between me and my wife that was handled some time ago. I ask that you do not hold me accountable for my actions,"

FTFY

September 22, 2010 02:36 am at 2:36 am |
  18. J Finkley

is this a new coin phrased to make it seem innocent in nature.a social acquaintance is nothing but someone on the side.true,jackson and his family deserve respect as too their family matters,but he shouldnt expect the media not to run this story for all that it is worth especially since its so close to election time.why cant people just handle their personal busines like responsible adults instead of running around possibly cheating,then when caught,want to ask the public for privacy.just man up,and deal with the punches as they come along.

September 22, 2010 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  19. guitarharry

Sigh...do we really need to know about all this?

September 22, 2010 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  20. Richard Komi

You did the right thing by tendering a public apology. Caution is the word in your future dealings with everybody.

September 22, 2010 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  21. jules sand-perkins

Leave politicians alone about private family matters. It's not national business and has nothing to do with the way they do their jobs.
    Gifts are something else.

September 22, 2010 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  22. johnnyp

Of course he is as crooked as his dad this dont surprise me

September 22, 2010 06:47 am at 6:47 am |