September 22nd, 2010

Obama says health care reform helping people get by

ALT TEXT

Washington (CNN) - Faced with a divided public over his signature legislative achievement, President Barack Obama on Wednesday hailed the health care reform bill passed in March as important for helping both the government and the American people deal with rising medical costs.

The measure endured a bitter political fight that saw no Republicans vote for its final approval, and recent polls show it remains controversial as Democrats face congressional elections in November amid a tough climate due to lingering economic woes.

Obama told a carefully orchestrated meeting with people who have benefited from health care reform that their stories are the best way to counter what one participant called "misinformation" spread by opponents of the measure.

Full Story

Filed under: Health care • issues • President Obama
  1. Ron in Califonia

Rising premiums are not misinformation. ppears he is drinkng his own kool aid.

September 22, 2010 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. Enough

He has got to be kidding...himself. Thanks Obummer for your worthless bill that is causing all of our premiums to go sky high...too bad you did nothing to control costs............kind of like that worthless credit card bill that caused our interest rates to sky rocket. Next time don't do us anymore of your "favors"

September 22, 2010 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. Eric

Don't get too used to Obamacare... we'll be repealing the whole dismal embarrassing mess in January.

Why is medical care oppressively expensive, yet cell phones so cheap they're often given away if you just buy the service?

Simple: the effects of free markets (or, at least as "free" as we can make them in an America dumbed down by public schools)

Get government out of the way, and consumers and markets will bring medical care costs way down.

Here's how:
    – Open states up to TRUE insurance competition.
    – Shop for insurance the way you do auto, home and life insurance.
    – Pay for your own preventive care out of pocket.
    – Purchase "catastrophic" insurance for only real "no kidding" medical emergencies.
    – Stop expecting your "auto insurance" to pay for your "oil changes, car washes and tire rotations."
    – Get employers out of the business of providing your medical insurance... they don't pay for your auto, home, life, renters, flood or boat insurance, so why insist they pay for your medical insurance?

And on a higher level, our problems actually stem from buying insurance (from self-interested third party middlemen) to pay for things we should be paying for ourselves. Imagine how expensive your groceries would be if we had "hunger insurance."

Put the consumer in charge and watch prices plummet and access to care increase dramatically. Keep Obamacare in place and watch prices skyrocket, doctors flee the field, and pre-med students switch to pre-law.

September 22, 2010 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. jim

The healthcare legislation is nothing more than a sham pulled on the American people.It was just a bunch of ideas put together by some people that thought they knew how the system could be made better but when put into practice make things worse. It does nothing to lower cost and that is how they sold the plan to the public.

September 22, 2010 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. Bill

My premiums and that of the company I work for went up. I am on the committee for our company that decides which Insurance company we go with annually and our costs are still rising unabated. Obamacare is just about "spreading the wealth" and there are not any real wealthly people where I work.

September 22, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. Dad of a Diabetic

Republicans display a cold hearted indifference toward children with deadly diseases. Republicans could care less if a child with cancer or type 1 diabetes has health care, unless it effects them. When I point out to my Republican neighbors that my child would become uninsurable again if health care reform is repealed, they say "that doesn't effect me". Republicans should understand that even if they could care less about other people's sick children, that one day their child or grandchild could get a deadly disease. I never dreamed that my child would get type 1 diabetes, because no one in my family has it. My child was born healthy, then came an insulin pump a few years later. By the way Governor Huckabee, my child is not a wrecked car or burned out house!!!!! Governor Huckabee, please do not call yourself a christian again!!!!

September 22, 2010 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. Chessnutz of Liverpool NY

Misinformed? Well come january I'll have to pay an additional 3.8 % tax on my health care benefits, At the same time the total value of my employer health care will be added to my taxable income, so tack an additional 20K to my 30K income for me to pay tax on out of pocket. Also my fifth child will be turning 19 and will be dropped of our family health insurance. I ask how can that be when we were told they can remain on our plan until the age 25. Well large employers like mine are exempt from this rule.
    Seems to me everyone is getting exempt from paying for this law except me!

September 22, 2010 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. Cheney and Armey are a couple of Dicks

Republicans who voted against it sure showed up for the photo ops and talked about the jobs created in their states and districts. But the GObP baggers have been playing the hypocrisy card for a year and a half.

September 22, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  9. JDD

"The measure endured a bitter political fight that saw no Republicans vote for its final approval..."

And, it needs to be said again for balance – neither did 39 Democrats.

And out of those who voted for the law, the number who have boasted about their vote is about zero.

What does that tell you about the people who voted for the law?

September 22, 2010 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  10. Laurie

I would be interested in hearing exactly who this is helping..... It would be wonderful if it helped MOST hard working, tax paying Americans who contribute to the system....who are the ones that actually deserve help. Our costs are increasing....and we, like a lot of Americans....can't afford anything to increase.

September 22, 2010 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. barry

Sure the Health Care Bill is helping the American people get by. Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Ferry have been a big help as well.

September 22, 2010 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. T'SAH from Virginia

It is working because I know people with pre-existing ailments and they cannot be denied. If the RepubliCAN'Ts think they are going to REPEAL this bill – they are in for a RUDE AWAKENING!!! You know why – Americans have "Short Term Memory" and they are living in a "Microwave World" – Whenever you are given something and then try to take it BACK, the tables will TURN!!!

T'SAH from Virginia – the Original Liberal – and I approve this message!!!

September 22, 2010 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  13. Cheney and Armey are a couple of Dicks

In a previous article, a right wingnut blamed Obama for TARP. While you get those lies from Fox, It was the Bush/Cheney/Republican culture of corruption that brought us that. Remember Boner crying in congress to get everyone to support the Bush bailout of banks.

September 22, 2010 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |