September 22nd, 2010

No more national media interviews, O'Donnell says

Delaware GOP Senate nominee Christine O’Donnell said Tuesday night she would not do any more national media interviews.

(CNN) - Delaware Republican Senate nominee Christine O'Donnell says she's not going to do any more national media interviews, instead turning her attention to local media.

"I'm not going to do any more national media because that - this is my focus. Delaware is my focus and the local media is my focus," O'Donnell told Fox News' Sean Hannity Tuesday night.

"It's off the table because that's not going to help me get votes," O'Donnell said. "I instead want to go to as many town hall forums, as many candidate forums, as many church picnics that I can fit into my schedule, so that I can meet the voters."

O'Donnell's direct communication with the national news media has been limited. The GOP candidate canceled her plans to appear on two national Sunday political talk shows last weekend, her campaign saying she planned to attend local events in her state.

O'Donnell also addressed comments that surfaced last Friday after liberal comedian Bill Maher aired a tape of the candidate on his now-cancelled show "Politically Incorrect." In the clip, which first aired in 1999, O'Donnell said she once "dabbled into witchcraft" and had one of her first dates with a witch "on a satanic altar."

"Well, teenage rebellion. You know?" O'Donnell explained Tuesday night. "Some people dabble in drugs to rebel, that's how I rebelled. You know? But who didn't do some questionable things in high school and who doesn't regret the '80s to some extent? I certainly do. And I most certainly regret bringing it up to Bill Maher."

Maher pledged Friday to release a new clip of O'Donnell each week on his HBO show "Real Time with Bill Maher" until she appeared on the show.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. kyle from ohio

I remember as a little boy watching my Mother buy a new car for the 1st time without my father being there, the salesman show her the cars and when it came time for the financing, they ask for my father co-sign, this was 1968, My mother told them she made this money and was the one who was spending it, and if they do not want her money she would go somewhere else, They sold her the car without the co-signer. I also remember the commercial of the day being the virginia slim slogan "We've come a long way baby". my point is Do the current
    Repub woman represent that slogan, i ask because they seem to be against abortion and other woman issues even if the woman was raped. Where are the real woman liber's that are the fallout of the 1960's. because they seem not to be!

September 22, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  2. Enrique

She's pathetic. Let's hope that the people of Delaware consider the danger of sending this extremist to the Senate.

September 22, 2010 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  3. Brad

Go get em' Christine.............You can so win this election. Enough of Karl Rove and the rest of the nay sayers. Show them how it's done!!!!

September 22, 2010 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  4. Dustin

Wow. So following her one hour infomercial on FOX Noise she decides she is no longer doing "national" interviews. Did she ever do one in the first place? The infomercial she did last night certainly wasn't an interview.

September 22, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. Riley

Smart move. The national media only wants to attempt to discredit her anyway. So, would should she waste her time with them.

September 22, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  6. Rick

Very smart move, I wish her the best of luck

September 22, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  7. phoenix86

Media attacks her for dabbling in witchcraft as a teen. They blew past Obama's cocaine use.

They don't attach her for her position on less government; lower taxes; etc.

Seems like "mainstream" media is even more out of touch with America than the democrats.

September 22, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  8. The Unsub

here is the deal, unless you talk to the peope, the people won't vote for you!

September 22, 2010 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  9. Tom

The damage has already been done. And, she has actually made Sarah Palin look good.

Perhaps she can cast a spell and our memories will be wiped clean.

September 22, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  10. 14401

Smart girl!!! See, and some of you called her a airhead.

September 22, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  11. ConstitutionalPatriot

Good for her, the corporate elite and banker controlled media is a joke anyway, only old senile people and liberals believe anything they say anyway. Christine is running to work for the people of Delaware anyway and everyone else who wants to chime in just doesn't matter anyway. I'll be making my donation to her and Rand Paul to help ensure we have principled freedom fighters in the senate. Just one of them can stop cap and tax, the VAT tax, anti 2nd amendment treaties, and a whole host of other tyrannical unconstitutional hate legislation the establishment is always pushing to advance their statist agenda. To Washington, D.C. I say look around, we the people surround you! We will be heard, we will right this sinking ship, and we will reject any infringement on civil liberties no matter where it's origin left or right. So, lets vote out all those who won't support repeal of don't ask don't tell and prove freedom is for everyone. To the establishment we are breaking you down for the dust bin of history!

September 22, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  12. Sean

Yeah, no better way to garner votes than by running scared from the media. Like voters in Delaware are so stupid as to not realize what she's doing, or why.

September 22, 2010 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  13. Living in America

No interviews. Thank God because I am tired of going to the store to buy school supplies and they are out of black magic markers because her and Palin are writing their speaker notes on their hands.

September 22, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  14. Laughable

such bull! yes it means it won't help get you votes..what it means it HIDES YOUR LIES!!! you right wing nut jobs are retarded! god help us if republicans take over again or even taken several seats...it disgusts me! especially with every single legislation they've blocked all due to their anger, hate and racism!

September 22, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  15. jeff, alabama

I can tell you why she is staying away from the national media.
    On Anderson's show last night he opened with the statement
    that O'Donnell felt that the media was trying to destroy her
    image with the public. Anderson said, "I just want to make it clear
    that I am not one of those type media people."
    Then he proceeded to destroy her image and honestty with the
    voters.
    I NEVER remember this much bias and spinning by the media
    in America concerning political candidates. If it wasn't such a
    dangerous threat to freedom it would be comical.

September 22, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  16. Steve

You know how the song goes. "Oh O'Donnell had a farm, and on that farm she had a Pig". This lady is about as popular as 3 week old cheese. You talk about it until you spit it out. Dodging the mainstream media didn't work for Sarah "gotcha media" Palin, and it won't work for you. She is a laughing stock amongst "NORMAL" people, and so are you.

September 22, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  17. Patsy, Texas

Another Tea Party candidate runnning from the national media.
    First, Angle, then Paul, now this loser. Speaking of losers, where was
    this so-called Mama Grizzly Palin when her daughter debuted on
    Dancing with the Stars? If Sharon and Ozzie Osborne can support
    their daughter, why didn't this bitch do the same? No excuse will
    hold water other than being on your death bed. By the way, this
    one will only take pre-ordained questions herself. What do these
    people have to hide? A lot, I imagine.

September 22, 2010 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  18. Kim J.

Ah, clearly she's got someone managing her public facade. She isn't smart enough to make this decision on her own! Man, I'm tired of the bimbos–please bring some intelligence to the table!

September 22, 2010 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  19. Michael in Houston

Her majesty has spoken. NO MORE NATIONAL INTERVIEWS.

Does this mean she will refuse to answer questions regarding her finance shenanigans with campaign money at the local level as well?

September 22, 2010 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  20. AsokIntern

So when is she returning all that national money?

September 22, 2010 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  21. Whatever

AMAZING!!! OH MY!!!!! LOL I guess all candidates can say that and still win?!?! We will see... run but you can't hide!!!!!! The voters in DE want to see you on national news outlets!

September 22, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  22. a little sad

Well, she's right that national exposure is unlikely to garner her any more votes.

But local media won't either.

September 22, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  23. Todd M

Yeah. That policy really worked for Palin too. You Becha!

You're running for freaking US Senator. The place is teeming with.....national media. If you can't talk to them now, how do you expect them to talk to you later?

September 22, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  24. huh?

Really? No more interviews? What if Obama or Bush had said they use to do Witchcraft? Really, this lady is garb-age!

September 22, 2010 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  25. tweety

Gee, I wonder why? Perhaps she is worried about WHAT questions the media has about her personal spending? Or how much verbal vomit is waiting to come out of her mouth. Like this isn't sending a message to voters?

WHO is choosing these people? Are there anyone in any of these camps checking these people out before they put them out there? Or do they like surprises?

She has so many skeletons in her closet she can't shut the door.

Maybe this party already knows they picked Sarah Jr. for a canadite?

Good Lordy Lord this is circus with these guys already. Are the Republicans not sick of being laughed at yet? Who says this stuff.....not giving interviews to the media...........WHAT and WHAT!!!!???

September 22, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |