September 22nd, 2010

No more national media interviews, O'Donnell says

Delaware GOP Senate nominee Christine O’Donnell said Tuesday night she would not do any more national media interviews.

(CNN) - Delaware Republican Senate nominee Christine O'Donnell says she's not going to do any more national media interviews, instead turning her attention to local media.

"I'm not going to do any more national media because that - this is my focus. Delaware is my focus and the local media is my focus," O'Donnell told Fox News' Sean Hannity Tuesday night.

"It's off the table because that's not going to help me get votes," O'Donnell said. "I instead want to go to as many town hall forums, as many candidate forums, as many church picnics that I can fit into my schedule, so that I can meet the voters."

O'Donnell's direct communication with the national news media has been limited. The GOP candidate canceled her plans to appear on two national Sunday political talk shows last weekend, her campaign saying she planned to attend local events in her state.

O'Donnell also addressed comments that surfaced last Friday after liberal comedian Bill Maher aired a tape of the candidate on his now-cancelled show "Politically Incorrect." In the clip, which first aired in 1999, O'Donnell said she once "dabbled into witchcraft" and had one of her first dates with a witch "on a satanic altar."

"Well, teenage rebellion. You know?" O'Donnell explained Tuesday night. "Some people dabble in drugs to rebel, that's how I rebelled. You know? But who didn't do some questionable things in high school and who doesn't regret the '80s to some extent? I certainly do. And I most certainly regret bringing it up to Bill Maher."

Maher pledged Friday to release a new clip of O'Donnell each week on his HBO show "Real Time with Bill Maher" until she appeared on the show.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. BL09

Maybe she doesn't know what newspapers she reads?

September 22, 2010 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  2. Chad

Unless it's FOX new right Christine? LOL Wow this is almost to funny. You have to be very careful don't want too many people knowing how bright you are.

September 22, 2010 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  3. Larry Craig

"It's off the table because that's not going to help me get votes" . That's an understatement. Actually, this can be said for all tea party candidates. Interviews require an individual to be able to think on their feet, answer questions, and be specific about issues and policies. None of these things are conducive to a tea party candidate's ability, strategy, or tactics.

September 22, 2010 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  4. JOhn

She went on national television to say she does not want to go on national television? This lady may not be mentally fit to vote, let alone hold any office.

September 22, 2010 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  5. DAVE

with local media, only local media will know what a fruitcake she is perhaps

September 22, 2010 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  6. Lt Dan

Ya, the National media was tearing her up. Exposed illegal campaign fund spending, storied about her foray into witchcraft, she was being exposed as the looser she is, and she of course didn't like it. The whole Tea Party is rancid if you ask me.

September 22, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. AmFem

It won't make any difference. Her wacko ideas and ridiculous statements will still make it to the national networks.

September 22, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  8. XWngLady

Rrrrright....she is another Sarah Palin who is not informed or articulate enough to actually defend her policy positions. If you can't handle the national media, then you don't need to seek national office. Period. Yes, you would represent the state of Deleware, but the legislation passed would affect EVERY US citizen. So don't even try it with that "local" crap. You are not running for the 'State Senate". Even President Obama goes on Fox sometimes. And even Republicans worth their salt are not afraid to ome on MSNBC.Give us a break. Delaware, if you fall for this, then you deserve exactly what you get.

September 22, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  9. L

In other words, no embarrassing interviews where someone asks a question that she can't answer.

If she gets elected, will she think for herself or just repeat what her handlers - and Fox/Palin/DeMint - tell her to say?

September 22, 2010 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  10. teena

So, after advice from the head grizzly she decides to only address local media and no national media (except Fox of course) and that way she can get the word out–what a stupid piece of work this woman is! Just like "I can see Alaska from my house" Palin.
    They give REAL women who work hard for what we want a bad name.

So I hope the local media calls her out on her deplorable personal finance record and improper use of campaign funds.

September 22, 2010 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  11. SayWhat

O'Donnell: I don't want the attention of the national media but I want to concentrate on the media of Deleware, that is until they ask me probing questions or diasagree with my narrow view of the world and then I will "Palinize" my contact with the media by making it a one way conversation by messsages from my Blackberry.
    This is the caliber of person we need in the US Senate.

September 22, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  12. charlie from the North

Oh thank goodness I was afraid she was going to quit (like her role model). That would have given the nomination to that guy who could win.

September 22, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  13. TM

Well, that makes it much easier to RUN AWAY from reporters. This is not surprising in light of the fact that she "can see Russian nobility from my house". It's so much easier to get away with making ignorant ant idiotic statements at town hall meetings when you don't have to worry about the rest of the voters in the state finding out about it. Can't wait to hear about the "loyalty oaths" she'll be requiring for admission to these special meetings. Her new slogan should be "Stupid is the new Smart"

September 22, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  14. Rov

Just wait until Maher releases his clip about O'Donnell's REAL experimental phase. It turns out her and Janet Reno were close.... REAL close. O'Donnell's comments now? "I SAID DON'T ASK! Then I won't have to tell."

September 22, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  15. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Could it be that she does not like the taste of her own foot? All they have to do is ask her to explain what she has said in the past and immediately she becomes defensive and claims the press is out to get her! How will she act if the people of Delaware do something totally foolish like elect this bimbette? The first time she has to handle questions from the national press will she explode?

September 22, 2010 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  16. Barry from Wisconsin

"Delaware Republican Senate nominee Christine O'Donnell says she's not going to do any more national media interviews, instead turning her attention to local media.

"I'm not going to do any more national media because that – this is my focus. Delaware is my focus and the local media is my focus," O'Donnell told Fox News' Sean Hannity Tuesday night.

What a crock! The person is an incompetent nitwit that has been elevated to a US Senate candidate of a major party by right-wing nut-cases who have no clue why they are "angry."

This person should stay away from any media appearances. Each one would expose her for the shallow and poorly informed person that she is.

September 22, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  17. Florida Joe

Great.....now if we can get that IDIOT Palin to make the same pledge we won't have listen to her dribble either..............Someone should tell O'Donnell that the national media probably won't want to interview her in JAIL where she belongs.........Fiscal Conservative..right...conserve all the money that was donated to her campaign for her personal living expenses.........

September 22, 2010 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  18. Palin and Beck for president!

And then she will blame the media for everything that goes wrong in her life.........

September 22, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  19. prwilt

What a coward. Afraid to answer the questions.

September 22, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  20. Lawrence

She fears that someone might ask questions that she has no idea how to answer. "Local" is her euphemism for only people in her camp.

September 22, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  21. cecilia

Of course she is not going to give national media interviews. Mama bear told her not to because it is a gotcha media. and also her stupid may show a bit too much
    OMG I can't believe the world of the Republicans – they are all beyond understanding. Hate filled – ignorant – radical zealots

September 22, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  22. Illinois 2

Looks like she is just a flash in the pan and is just down right afraid she will get off message. The voters better take a good hard look at all those being nominated and go to the polls on election day to clean up the primary mess that has been created......

September 22, 2010 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  23. Marcia Greenwood, IN

So strange that she decided this after being accused of possible criminal misuse of campaign funds. She was stealing and hasn't even been elected yet.

September 22, 2010 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  24. PaDoc

Party Platform: Don't talk to anyone in media. (Except those that will ask the questions you want them to ask. Oh. no, wait, that was Angle. No, wait, Paul, No, wait, O'Donnel. Aw, shucks! Now I'm confused.)

September 22, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  25. Aaron

He should release the interview of her saying that aids research is over-funded and that "god" wants them to have the disease.

September 22, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |