September 22nd, 2010

No more national media interviews, O'Donnell says

Delaware GOP Senate nominee Christine O’Donnell said Tuesday night she would not do any more national media interviews.

(CNN) - Delaware Republican Senate nominee Christine O'Donnell says she's not going to do any more national media interviews, instead turning her attention to local media.

"I'm not going to do any more national media because that - this is my focus. Delaware is my focus and the local media is my focus," O'Donnell told Fox News' Sean Hannity Tuesday night.

"It's off the table because that's not going to help me get votes," O'Donnell said. "I instead want to go to as many town hall forums, as many candidate forums, as many church picnics that I can fit into my schedule, so that I can meet the voters."

O'Donnell's direct communication with the national news media has been limited. The GOP candidate canceled her plans to appear on two national Sunday political talk shows last weekend, her campaign saying she planned to attend local events in her state.

O'Donnell also addressed comments that surfaced last Friday after liberal comedian Bill Maher aired a tape of the candidate on his now-cancelled show "Politically Incorrect." In the clip, which first aired in 1999, O'Donnell said she once "dabbled into witchcraft" and had one of her first dates with a witch "on a satanic altar."

"Well, teenage rebellion. You know?" O'Donnell explained Tuesday night. "Some people dabble in drugs to rebel, that's how I rebelled. You know? But who didn't do some questionable things in high school and who doesn't regret the '80s to some extent? I certainly do. And I most certainly regret bringing it up to Bill Maher."

Maher pledged Friday to release a new clip of O'Donnell each week on his HBO show "Real Time with Bill Maher" until she appeared on the show.

Filed under: 2010 • Christine O'Donnell • Delaware
  1. Mike in SA

O'Donnell should have said "Some people dabble in cocaine when they are in Harvard Law School. Some people hand out with admitted domestic terrorists."

Funny, the guy that did these things is now our President and has yet to express any regret.

September 22, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  2. AEJ

Gallup's tracking shows a shift from a 49% to 43% Republican advantage in August to a 46% to 45% GOP advantage so far in September. Way to do Dems!!!

September 22, 2010 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  3. Joel

Wow! So she's going to crawl in her little hole. I'm sure that will work.

September 22, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  4. Pete F.

Those in a hurry to, "throw them all out" should take a very close look at their options. A "fresh face" is really just that...all style and no substance. This person is just NOT QUALIFIED for the job. Period!

September 22, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  5. T'SAH from Virginia

"Well, teenage rebellion. You know?" "Some people dabble in drugs to rebel, that's how I rebelled. You know?..."

Who was she rebelling against and who were her parents – a WARLOCK – SATAN – Glenda the WITCH – CARRIE – the WICKED WITCH of the EAST – DAMIEN – CHILDREN of the CORN??? Who?

Once SARAH endorsed O'Donnell – that made it a 'country event' and the entire 'country' is going to JUDGE her!!

DEmocrats in DE – Contact your LOCAL media, radio stations, etc. and ASK the RIGHT questions!! Make sure they are NOT given to her beforehand... Demand Town Hall Meetings and make sure it's not just the FAR-RIGHT attending!!

O'Donnell going LOCAL should not STOP the right questions from being asked.

The real T'SAH from Virginia approves this message!!!

September 22, 2010 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  6. Julian Cook

Good for you Christine! Pander to the locals that got you that nomination in the first place. As someone not in Delaware I am thankful that you ARE staying local because you don't deserve a national spotlight. I am guessing the real motivation is that the national media has been ripping you to shreds anyway. Welcome to politics, and don't let the door hit you on the way out after the election when you lose.

September 22, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  7. Jay T.

And after November, no more politics- and, no more living off campaign donations. "Would you like fries with that?"

September 22, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  8. SuzyQ

Sarah II!

What detriments to women's progress these two are.

September 22, 2010 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  9. Expat American

Translation: “Palin’s national interviews (other than SS Brownshirt Network-FOX) revealed the depth of her lack of education, intelligence, and global perspective….and I’m an even more stupid loon than she, if that is at all possible….”

September 22, 2010 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  10. Noodles

Is it ironic that she went on a national media show to say she was going to do no more national media?

September 22, 2010 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  11. Geoff

It's funny and all that, but O'Donnell is getting WAY too much coverage right now. She's just a candidate, one who is almost certainly going to lose. Her oddities do not warrant wall-to-wall coverage.

September 22, 2010 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  12. calvin clark

Isn't a little dubious that Ms. O'Connell says from one side of her mouth that she will refrain from talking to tthe national media, but will talk from the other side of her mouth to Fox News? I could care less what she said back some 10-15 years ago as long as she hasn't committed any serious crimes. My problem with the tea party, which is nothing more than an extension of the republican party, is they think voter anger against the government qualifies them to serve in congress. Truth be told, if 100 people were asked how congress works, maybe 5 people would have any idea. This country is in serios trouble and their answer is to remove a President that has only been in office for 2 years because he hasn't erased overnight the problems that have been festering since the previous administration.

September 22, 2010 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  13. Felonious Monk

It is an incredible shame that this is the caliber of candidate in America today.

What an incredible shame, I am embarrased for America!

September 22, 2010 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  14. CR

A Senatorial candidate who can't handle real interviews? She's pathetic , but what do you expect anymore from the Republican Party. Another one of their not ready for prime time wackos.

September 22, 2010 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  15. Wilma Wonka

When the majority of your funding is provided nationally, you have an obligation to answer questions nationally.

Plus, unless I'm mistaken, a potential Senator would have ambition to effect national policy. So it begs the question, why wouldn't you answer questions from a media that represents all of those you hope to effect?

It seems like the current plan is to cater to those whom you know you've already got in your pocket.

September 22, 2010 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  16. larry

I bet she will go on fox and if she looses the election she will be employed by fox soon after

September 22, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  17. Ed in Reno, Nevada

Why did she have to go on the Sean Hannity show to announce she would no longer do national TV appearances? Wouldn't a local show have sufficed to make that announcement to her actual voters?

September 22, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  18. Dt

Yea and u say that on national tv. what an idiot. in other words she's only goin on fox news

September 22, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  19. George

Who is she kidding? She's not doing any more national interviews because she fears exposing herself as horribly unqualified for the office she's running for. Christine, you're a fraud and I hope Delaware realizes it before it's too late and the state gets sold off to the highest lobbyist bidder.

September 22, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  20. eric

you know what, I voted for Castle, but I'm on board with CO'D now, I don't blame her for staying local... In my humble opinion, I've seen Coons very good at 2 things: drinking Diet Cokes and spending my money. The spending has to stop.

September 22, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  21. Joe

Wasn't she just on Hannity??

September 22, 2010 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  22. Howard

Well, we can only hope the local media put the same tough questions to O'Donnell that the national media would. If they do, then I predict she'll find some reason to run and hide from the local media as well.

September 22, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  23. A. Goodwin

Deleware will ultimately decide if she gets to go to Washington, but if she wins its important for the whole country! She will, after all, be tasked with making decisions not just for Delaware but for all of us. And no offense – she is NOT good for our country right now. We no NOT need a divider – we need more poeople to UNIITE us.

I think she's afraid of what the national media will find on her. Bill Maher – keep em' coming. I could care less about the whole witch thing...I care more that she continually lies and cheats the system. THAT is what we as a country do not need any more of.

September 22, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  24. P.D.

The Republicans might as well chalk up this contest as a loser. O'Donnell's past is too controversial. She has spent campaign cash on herself. Her past statements are bizarre. And, she wasn't vetted. Palin is doing a great diservice to the Republican Party. She is helping off-the -wall candidates who will never win.

September 22, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  25. kevininjc

former Delawarean here.....

So she cancels 2 talk show appearances on Sunday, but on Tuesday night she's goes on Sean Hannity (a national media program) to say she won't appear on any other national media? hmmmmm...that sounds a bit odd and contradictory.

Why didn't she make this announcement through local media such as New Journal (the major local delaware newspaper) or via the local television, like the Philadelphia news stations that cover Delaware?

This woman is much like Sarah Palin – She can't stand the test of thoughtful, critical look at her goals, so she announces an embargo on the media, however she goes on Sean Hannity where lies and spin are spit out like candy from a Pez dispenser.

September 22, 2010 10:48 am at 10:48 am |