September 23rd, 2010

CNNPolitics.com, Political Ticker’s new look

You may notice that CNNPolitics.com and CNN's Political Ticker have a new look as of Thursday morning.

Consider this a sneak peek at our new politics section and the Internet’s most-popular political blog as we approach the contentious midterm elections.

This new, more readable design is more than lipstick on a pig – we’re making the site and the blog easier to navigate  and adding new features to CNNPolitics.com like the daily "Top 5," social media cues including tweets, Facebook recommends and defining which stories are dominating the political conversation on the world's #1 news site. We've integrated video, iReport, opinion and reporting from our hundreds of affiliates around the nation on to the page.

Look for more additions in the weeks ahead, including midterm election coverage from The Best Political Team in our ever-expanding Election Center.

So welcome to our "beta" version – we’re having our grand opening on Monday and we’re interested in what you think.  Let’s hear it below.

Filed under: Politics
  1. Fair is Fair

CNN... the ticker's new format kinda sucks.

September 23, 2010 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  2. FM

Well done to the new look. As to anything new, everything looks not quite understandable. But I believe as we continue using it, we will become familiar to it!

September 23, 2010 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  3. Randall Munroe

I would prefer that the article section be widened and the font on the headlines to the right be shrunk. I like when the main content of a page is clear and visually dominant; it seems like more and more sites are trying to cram every bit of content down your throats on every page. The sidebars are okay (particularly the top 5 stories one), I'd just like the main articles to stand out a bit more. How many newspapers have 60% of their front page space given over to cross-promotion and advertising? I understand lots of different parts of the site are competing for attention and space, but in general, the more minimal everything around the articles is, the better.

September 23, 2010 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  4. U.S. Common Sense

As long as that Political Ticker rotating headline bar never returns, you can make any change to the site that you want. That headline bar was such a resource hog.

September 23, 2010 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  5. vic, Nashville TN

Beginning little confused now ok look good to me

September 23, 2010 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  6. Ben in Texas

I don't like it. It is harder to find where to put comments. The last interface had a link for comments, and on this one, you have to click on the story title, which is not very intuitive. One of the things I do for a living is design web interfaces, and your new one gets a C.

September 23, 2010 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  7. Alex

I don't like it!!!!!

September 23, 2010 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  8. Me

Wow, I usually don't like it when websites change their formats but I chalk it up to being middle aged and not liking change. But this, CNN, is not good. Too much, not cohesive at all.

September 23, 2010 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  9. DENNA

I hate it.

September 23, 2010 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  10. ARob

I do not think it is an improvement. All you've really done is change the font and made the ads much, much bigger.

September 23, 2010 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  11. Sniffit

Thumbs up! Looks nice. However, two little things:

The light grey text has got to go...somewhat hard to read. Use colors that are more distinct and crisp.

Don't put the "We Recommend" and "From Around the Web" before the comments...it's annoying...and you know very well that many of us are here to blabber. We're already here exploring the site and participating, so we'll find what we're looking for ourselves. We don't need links to week old articles and articles that aren't on topic shoved in our faces. I know you'd really like to get us to visit the other sites falling under your giant corporate umbrella, but you can put it at the bottom or onthe side or leave it to Google.

September 23, 2010 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  12. Judy - Canada

I love this new updated page, everything I check out is on the front page. Great look!

September 23, 2010 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  13. Cat

HATE IT. Go back to the orginal format

September 23, 2010 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. kakaraka

Woah, according to GOP new contract, America is a self-governing country and a government cannot intervene to regulate even when the free market is a mess. What a stupid reasoning. More of the same. We try this idea for the past 8 years, it didn't work, it instead let us to economic collapse created by the unregulated wall street. Now the GOP want to go back to these same failed policie. Give me a break. No to the party of NO, with NO new ideas. We the American people will vote you out all. Stupid GOP.

September 23, 2010 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  15. ssherm

I am a pretty loyal reader of the ticker. I am 55 and my eye sight isn't what it used to be. The new type face is pretty small when read at standard monitor distance. I don't hold it like a book. How about a concession to the space you have to present and bump the type size up one or two pts? Thanks!

September 23, 2010 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  16. Suggestions

It's ok so far and could use a few improvements. There should be an icon added to get back to the 'main' screen and perhaps more photos. A thumbs up or thumbs down on the comments could be a good addition to consider, as well.

September 23, 2010 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  17. Eric

Hmm... I like the serif typeface switch... reminds me of NYT, which while I disagree with that paper's lib bias, I do like the design of the NYT paper and website. But, I'm not yet sold on this new Ticker redesign... I'm a little lost as to where certain things are located now, or "how do I do this or that." Anyone else? It's good that you shake up the design from time to time though... "A" for effort.

September 23, 2010 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  18. Anonymous

Terrible new format- way too bulky to be called a Ticker. Looks more like articles clipped from a daily now. Kuddo however on the large type for us old people

September 23, 2010 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  19. Ben in Texas

Does anyone think that CNN is trying to make it harder to post and read comments? Also, it's strange to me that, on the one hand, they say "Comments are not pre-screened before they post", and on the other, "Your comments are awaiting moderation". Those can't both be true, can they?

September 23, 2010 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  20. Jane Sullivan

Hate it. Speaking as a former copy editor, the centered text is hard to read, the font is too small, you waste paper with the little self-indulgent intro thingy when you download the article. Basically, it's crap and obviously created by people who won't be reading it everyday. Please go back to the original. If you want to make improvements, hire grown-ups to be moderators, and weed out the hateful, ignorant, anti-semitic, bigoted bloggers. That would be a welcome change.

September 23, 2010 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  21. bravado in boston

i am usually not opposed to change. but the change has to be good. you took a readable page and made it WAY TOO BUSY and way to crowded......are you paying by the byte? I'd rather scroll than see all of this "stuff" at once.

September 23, 2010 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  22. Carlos from Florida

I agree with those that have commented that they do not like it. I hate it. Just leave it was it was, it was working fine.

September 23, 2010 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  23. svscnn

The new NTR font is quite unpleasant. Pls return to a simple sans-serif like arial or verdana.

September 23, 2010 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  24. Ancient Texan

I am a loyal visitor and to tell the truth, I MUCH prefer the old format.

September 23, 2010 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |